Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Wolves Pre-Match Thread, 18th Aug

7 hours ago, zealot said:

I always feel Silva, Ndidi and Iborra all in midfield leads to us being more creative going forward, more comfortable on the ball and more solid defensively.

It forms a nice natural arrow shape on paper too - which will make absolutely no difference on the pitch but looks more menacing :)               

Schmeichel
Ricardo-Morgan-Maguire-Chilwell
         Silva-Ndidi-Iborra-Gray
                   Maddison
                     Vardy

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Maguire Chilwell

Iborra
Silva Ndidi
Maddison
Vardy Kelechi

Would be the answer to your formation suggested. It could work but i wouldn't like to play it against Wolves.

Edited by Ashley

On 13/08/2018 at 22:55, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Why not just play a 4-2-2-2 so Iheanacho can actually play upfront rather In the number 10 role, with Gray & Maddison drifting more as attacking mids allowing the fullbacks to play as wingers whilst we’re going forward to create more space, in the middle & outwide.

I like the sound of this.

The only way we get our money's worth out of iheanacho is to play him into the form.

One to work on as the season progresses I think. In some of the "easier" games.

The one big downside is would it reduce maddisons input because that boy looks good enough to write off nacho here if that's the only way to get the best out of maddison.

If that proves to be the case then iheanacho is back up and needs to take his chance. Pre season form was good but the man u game was great apart from I didn't trust that he would score for us. Vardy is too good to leave out.

Iheanacho needs to play as striker. Not support and so this is definitely worth a try imo.

I also just don't like this 1 striker fashion in the modern game.

Ps. I expect to see ghezzal Saturday, not albrighton. Don't feel strongly enough to say if it's right or wrong as it seems a weak area right now. Just the way I see it going. Don't think albrighton is the automatic pick people seem to think he is/should be.

7 hours ago, Ashley said:

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Maguire Chilwell

Iborra
Silva Ndidi
Maddison
Vardy Kelechi

Would be the answer to your formation suggested. .

Only it's not "the formation he suggested"  or the team, so it's something different. 

13 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Only it's not "the formation he suggested"  or the team, so it's something different. 

I don't see where the logic comes from with those formations. The way i put it would be the best option. Never in a million years would we line up that way :)

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

I don't see where the logic comes from with those formations. The way i put it would be the best option. Never in a million years would we line up that way :)

I do agree with you...it's simply that "it's not the answer to the formation he suggested" - it's a different one and a different team. 

Wolves were extremely happy to concede possession, even at home & to a team with 10-men

Doesn't bode well at all, considering how ineffective we can be when a team is happy to not have the ball

Schmeichel

Ricardo Morgan Maguire Chilwell

Silva Ndidi

Gheezal Maddison Gray

Vardy

Maguire did well at OT, Evans won't be risked rushed back

Big concerns over Gheezal's ability to track back so maybe Albrighton will get the nod

Puel will not play anything other than 4231, so no point going all Football Manager & suggesting it

2-2

Edited by cc_star

With the players we have in our squad, notably Maguire, Ndidi, Maddison and Vardy we should give Wolves an absolute whupping. 

....However, with Puel in charge, I am going for 0-0 or 0-1.

(but with bags of possession, 70%?,  so the Foxetalk Puel-lovers can drool in their coninued state of blind faith.)

Edited by SuperMike
Can't even spell Vardy right - wot a plonker!

4 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

With the players we have in our squad, notably Maguire, Ndidi, Maddison and Vardey we should give Wolves an absolute whupping. 

(but with bags of possession, 70%?,  so the Foxetalk Puel-lovers can drool in their coninued state of blind faith.)

It’s all about possession you muppet. Just ask a fan of the best team in the world, Spurs. You can’t win anything without 65% possession or more these days. Just need to dominate the opposition. DOMINATE. 

33 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

With the players we have in our squad, notably Maguire, Ndidi, Maddison and Vardey we should give Wolves an absolute whupping. 

I can forgive some player names being misspelt but Vardey?! Come on chap! :thumbup:

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't mind the fact we are trying to become a possession based team, if you have the ball then the other team don't but it's all about whether we've got th ability to hurt teams. We had that on the counter under Pearson at times and Ranieri. We lost our way when teams figured us out and conceded possession theirselves to us whilst sitting deep.

We've long had the issue of breaking teams down, especially mediocre teams at home. It's not just because we now have more possession, it's because teams sit back and we are still yet to figure a way of overcoming that. Even with Mahrez we were often devoid of ideas but you can clearly see Puel's intentions with Maddison, ball play centre backs and attacking full backs. He actually wants us to play faster football, it's been the lack of players comfortable with playing this football that hindered us last season. Has there been enough change this summer to make this more effective? Time will tell, I still think central midfield is an issue and there's question marks over every one of our wingers, so a lot rests on Maddison getting incisive balls in to Vardy and our full backs overlapping and causing all sorts of positional problems for the opposition. Hopefully we've a better class of defender to stop conceding silly goals this season too, that'll help any potential goal defecit too.

So to clarify, possession football isn't a negative, I hope we can implement it effectively with fast football too as we still have the best in the business in Vardy.

I'm tentatively positive about our attacking football this season. Chilwell and Richardo are happy to take it upfield, find Maddison and an improved Gray, who'll have Vardy and Iheanacho ready to pounce, with Ndidi dropping back to make a back three with Maguire and Evans. I'm more worried about teams doing what united did to us in the first ten minutes: we were overwhelmed.

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't mind the fact we are trying to become a possession based team, if you have the ball then the other team don't but it's all about whether we've got the ability to hurt teams. We had that on the counter under Pearson at times and Ranieri. We lost our way when teams figured us out and conceded possession theirselves to us whilst sitting deep.

We've long had the issue of breaking teams down, especially mediocre teams at home. It's not just because we now have more possession, it's because teams sit back and we are still yet to figure a way of overcoming that. Even with Mahrez we were often devoid of ideas but you can clearly see Puel's intentions with Maddison, ball play centre backs and attacking full backs. He actually wants us to play faster football, it's been the lack of players comfortable with playing this football that hindered us last season. Has there been enough change this summer to make this more effective? Time will tell, I still think central midfield is an issue and there's question marks over every one of our wingers, so a lot rests on Maddison getting incisive balls in to Vardy and our full backs overlapping and causing all sorts of positional problems for the opposition. Hopefully we've a better class of defender to stop conceding silly goals this season too, that'll help any potential goal defecit too.

So to clarify, possession football isn't a negative, I hope we can implement it effectively with fast football too as we still have the best in the business in Vardy.

All good points well made. Certainly be interesting to see Maddison and Vardy play togerher.

Personally I don't think Amartey played that badly at Man Utd (and it wasn't a penalty). 

However I think he'll be dropped, with Pereira moving to RB. 

Evans should come in for Morgan alongside Maguire. 

Vardy will come in for Iheanacho I'm sure, unless he decides to play two upfront...

I agree that Ghezzal will probably play ahead of Albighton on the left, not sure how I feel about that. 

• Haha 1

Just now, leicesterseddon said:

Personally I don't think Amartey played that badly at Man Utd (and it wasn't a penalty). 

Vardy will come in for Iheanacho I'm sure, unless he decides to play two upfront...

I agree that Ghezzal will probably play ahead of Albighton on the left, not sure how I feel about that. 

Amartey played well? 

It wasn't a penalty?.. 

Are you being serious or is this a tongue in cheek comment? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leicesterseddon said:

If you look at the replay he raised his arm to bloke the ball on purpose. He lies to the ref saying it touched his shoulder when it didnt.. It was a penalty.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Simoken said:

If you look at the replay he raised his arm to bloke the ball on purpose. He lies to the ref saying it touched his shoulder when it didnt.. It was a penalty.

I agree it was a penalty, but I don't think it was a conscious decision to bicep the ball away. Think he was a bit flustered with the ball flying at him and just made instinctive movements.

6 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

I think in our squad the two players battling it out for left wing are Albrighton and Gray, and the players battling it out for right wing are Ghezzal, Diabate and possibly Ricardo, even though he was signed as a right back. The reason for this is that the wingers can cut inside and shoot on their favoured foot, but you still have crossing potential from either wing because the full backs push up and can cross with their natural foot without having to cut in. It's a system that Puel used in France most of the time. Of course there's nothing to stop you from swapping over the wingers during the game, which has been a feature of Leicester's play for many seasons.

Personally I would put Albrighton on the right wing whilst Ghezzal adjusts to the league, but if you take into account the above, I don't think it's something we will see.