Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

On 12/02/2019 at 20:07, CloudFox said:

Anyone listened to the latest Football Ramble? Luke's asked Leicester fans to explain the Puel Out debate and sentiment., As he just doesn't get it. Tempted to write in myself, albeit with a more balanced approach...

Generally interesting how nonplussed so many pundits are about us.

Luke seems to think he's some footballing oracle and takes it far too seriously. The point of the show is that its funny and hes really not. Stopped listening now.

3 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Luke seems to think he's some footballing oracle and takes it far too seriously. The point of the show is that its funny and hes really not. Stopped listening now.

Yeah I do think he's become more serious of late. Still really enjoy it, but more for Jim and Pete these days.

On the Continent is good though. Big fan of Brassell and Horncastle.

On 12/02/2019 at 20:07, CloudFox said:

Anyone listened to the latest Football Ramble? Luke's asked Leicester fans to explain the Puel Out debate and sentiment., As he just doesn't get it. Tempted to write in myself, albeit with a more balanced approach...

Generally interesting how nonplussed so many pundits are about us.

Same here, always listen to it and have never been tempted to write in until this. It’s annoying how they just think that because we won the league our expectations are too high. What about wanting consistency in performance and team selection etc. We all know we can turn up and give the top teams a game but can he motivate and get the right team for the teams we should be beating. 

Still a quality podcast though, along with on the continent.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I'd much rather have journalists on that actually research clubs rather than regurgitating the same storied myths that tell us nothing. There's not many ex players that are worth listening to but Danny Higginbotham and Pat Nevin should get more high profile gigs because they have professional insight as well as the ability to research, write and articulate themselves well.

Broadcasters either think the majority of their pundits do well (unlikely, a cursory glance at social media will tell you otherwise) or more insidiously, they consciously select wank pundits as it creates controversy and generates more publicity and clicks. Even people that aren't interested in football would be able to tell that Danny Mills or Dean Saunders are thick twats without knowing anything about the game themselves. 'Spontaneous' banter and disagreeable and mouthy pundits are more of a commodity than genuine insight and analysis. For my money the European Football Show on BT was one was probably the cream of the crop because it avoided all the usual pitfalls but it canned without much reasoning as to why.

I agree with this for the most part , is social media the best barometer to judge pundits by though?

I've no doubt the likes of Mills, Saunders, Murphy etc are abysmal but a lot of people simply get upset when a pundit says something to the detriment of the team they support, whether or not it's a well articulated point doesn't seem to matter.

2 hours ago, Langston said:

I agree with this for the most part , is social media the best barometer to judge pundits by though?

Definitely not but it's the most immediately accessible feedback available. There is an issue with some fans being dicks and whinging at any criticism at all but I'd suggest that overwhelming majority can take informed criticism but there just isn't much of it about.

Only 2 pundits that I'd take any notice of for both good & bad comments are Gary Neville and Liam Rosenior who needs to be promoted above all those mentioned In previous posts + the normal five on soccer Saturday they have got a little complacent ala Keys/Gray combo thinking they too big to drop & don't get me started on the BBC and BT so called experts, all garbage.

At least these 2 give thought out technical and tactical insights and seem to do more research into teams they comment on or for debates they engage in, not just cheap throw away comments looking for a laugh and sprouting the same pundit buzz words like the masses. 

8 hours ago, Stadt said:

I'd much rather have journalists on that actually research clubs rather than regurgitating the same storied myths that tell us nothing. There's not many ex players that are worth listening to but Danny Higginbotham and Pat Nevin should get more high profile gigs because they have professional insight as well as the ability to research, write and articulate themselves well.

Broadcasters either think the majority of their pundits do well (unlikely, a cursory glance at social media will tell you otherwise) or more insidiously, they consciously select wank pundits as it creates controversy and generates more publicity and clicks. Even people that aren't interested in football would be able to tell that Danny Mills or Dean Saunders are thick twats without knowing anything about the game themselves. 'Spontaneous' banter and disagreeable and mouthy pundits are more of a commodity than genuine insight and analysis. For my money the European Football Show on BT was one was probably the cream of the crop because it avoided all the usual pitfalls but it canned without much reasoning as to why.

It's quite telling really about the state of certain aspects of football when you do get idiots like those you mentioned in jobs for precisely those reasons. Sky are a great example of this with Paul Merson for example. Creating a product and manufacturing controversy rather than actually talking about good football. It's pretty embarrassing that they would rather have someone on because they probably say "Gonzalo Higuwan" rather than what he could actually bring to Chelsea.

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's quite telling really about the state of certain aspects of football when you do get idiots like those you mentioned in jobs for precisely those reasons. Sky are a great example of this with Paul Merson for example. Creating a product and manufacturing controversy rather than actually talking about good football. It's pretty embarrassing that they would rather have someone on because they probably say "Gonzalo Higuwan" rather than what he could actually bring to Chelsea.

Definitely, I read somewhere (another forum possibly) that somebody had a mate at Sky that said Merson was on because he’s relatable to the 50+ year old Everyman in the pub who also can’t promounce foreign names

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Definitely, I read somewhere (another forum possibly) that somebody had a mate at Sky that said Merson was on because he’s relatable to the 50+ year old Everyman in the pub who also can’t promounce foreign names

Promise me you did that on purpose...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 15/02/2019 at 19:22, Jaspa said:

Is that a cheeky Craig Shakespeare second from left if you count across the page there?

I went out on the same flight as them from EMA.  Shakey was definitely there, they were on my flight back too.

Stowell was clearly taking the role of stag dad.

9 minutes ago, Manini said:

Bit weird - we’re a much bigger club, one of the biggest in the UK but we couldn’t BELIEVE that we were able to get a manager of Brendan Rodgers stature. 

That article reads like it was written by an over-emotional 15-year-old. They're worried, aren't they?