Cardiff_Fox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

11 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Meaningless for Watford maybe, but for us I reckon it had a vital effect on our mentality the next season.

and the great escape, and holding our nerve to win the premier league. 

35 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

and the great escape, and holding our nerve to win the premier league. 

I mean come on.

I can get that losing that game might have strengthened our resolve for the immediate season following, but the bigger influences on us winning the PL in 2016 are too numerous to mention.

People take these sliding doors analogies a bit too far. If this didn’t happen, if that didn’t happen etc. etc. Any one of them is true in its own way.

But really winning the Premier League in 2016 didn’t have an awful lot to do with a play off semi final we lost in 2013 with a squad of many different and inferior players. It might a been one flutter of the butterfly’s wings, but amongst a few thousand more. 

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jobyfox said:

I mean come on.

I can get that losing that game might have strengthened our resolve for the immediate season following, but the bigger influences on us winning the PL in 2016 are too numerous to mention.

People take these sliding doors analogies a bit too far. If this didn’t happen, if that didn’t happen etc. etc. Anyone of them is true in its own way.

But really winning the Premier League in 2016 didn’t have an awful lot to do with a play off semi final we lost in 2013 with a squad of many different and inferior players. It might a been one flutter of the butterfly’s wings, but amongst a few thousand more. 

I don’t care much for sliding door analogies either but It’s the follow on from that season, it gave them a resolve. The promotion season that followed gave us the strength of character to sustain a title run, as people were waiting for us to lose our nerve a few pointed out that we had already shown we could deal with the pressure. Similarly the great great escape also helped us deal with the pressure of closing out the title, Albrighton referred  to the pressure of the great escape during the title run in. We weren’t some green, weak at the knees chancers, and while recruiting a certain type of character helped those experiences fortified a strong mentality within the squad that is still evident today.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I don’t care much for sliding door analogies either but It’s the follow on from that season, it gave them a resolve. The promotion season that followed gave us the strength of character to sustain a title run, as people were waiting for us to lose our nerve a few pointed out that we had already shown we could deal with the pressure. Similarly the great great escape also helped us deal with the pressure of closing out the title, Albrighton referred  to the pressure of the great escape during the title run in. We weren’t some green, weak at the knees chancers, and while recruiting a certain type of character helped those experiences fortified a strong mentality within the squad that is still evident today.

All little parts of the jigsaw maybe.

Losing the Watford game strengthened our resolve to get promoted.

The Great Escape season built on that etc.. etc..  Yawn!

Between Watford and the PL title we’d also recruited: Fuchs, Huth, Simpson, Albrighton, Kante, Mahrez and Okazaki. Vardy had taken over from Nugent as our main striker. Ranieri was our manager. I reckon any one of those might have had a greater bearing on what we achieved.

Sacking David Pleat in 1991 probably played a small part in what we’ve gone on to achieve. 

3 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Sell a defender for a world record fee and then improve defensively. 

Amazing when you think about it 

We really have to congratulate Susan and Rudders for taking Manure’s pants down.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Sell a defender for a world record fee and then improve defensively. 

Amazing when you think about it 

Sell an individual, create a team.

Maguire might have been our best defender last season, but we now defend as a team and are much better for it.

10 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Sell an individual, create a team.

Maguire might have been our best defender last season, but we now defend as a team and are much better for it.

Probably would have anyway under Rodgers. Maguire would just have been a part of that team. However I genuinely think Caglar is an upgrade and that we are better individually without Big H. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Probably would have anyway under Rodgers. Maguire would just have been a part of that team. However I genuinely think Caglar is an upgrade and that we are better individually without Big H. 

I think Maguire is a very decent player but the answer to man utds problems and worth 80 million plus not just no but hell no.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

if Maguire was still here we would probably be no way near our current position imo.

fair play to the club for getting it right I was against selling him but I've never really rated him either.

I think the hype associated with Maguire is far greater than his actual ability to defend.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

This funny as hell! Liverpool fans saying we won cos everyone else is poor am sure thats whats happening now but they scared of us and they are waiting for us to fall. The thing is if we finish top 4 that alone would be a huge achievement for us but they drop down and would be know as the biggest disappointment in football history lol

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Rattled

0931C395-EC54-4D06-8CC2-9BEFCD502842.png

This is my problem with their ‘fans’. 

Probably a plastic in Kent, Suffolk or Leicestershire giving it the big ‘ un.

I also suspect  it’s the man-thing to not admit to anything. Like for instance, saying those nearest to you in the table are still giving you a run for your money. 

I’m not expecting them to turn around and say we’ll win the league, but it would be good to read someone say “...it isn’t Liverpool’s title just yet. Let’s calm it”

2 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Or in other words we are rattled. 

Nooooooo don’t be so ridiculous! Are you trying to imply we’re all a bit precious?! 

7 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

God it would just be beyond incredible if we could somehow be the ones to stop them getting their grubby hands on it

I think we will be revered by everyone apart Liverpool fans lol