Jump to content
Cardiff_Fox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Yes the media focus more on the top six than anything else - bigger fanbases mean they sell more papers, gets more clicks etc - but suggesting they want to keep the top six the same isn't true.

 

At least in the case of Sky -- I don't see how you could win that side of the debate.  OK, it's too sensitive to act hurt and obsess about it.  But it strikes me as a carefully considered business practice.  Somebody is editing the shows.  Somebody is boss of the comms and pundits, directing and evaluating them. In discussing results, the table, and individual players, isn't LCFC given far less time than richer but currently far less successful clubs?  With exceptions rare enough to be very noticeable.

 

NBCSN's advertising and pundits do give us a proportion of coverage closer to our current stature as a playing unit.  The contrast is striking.

 

 

* caveat -- I'm saying this as someone with limited exposure (NBC broadcasts of Sky Sports News and transfer day are not things I return to, nor do I seek out their social media clips unless posted on here).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KingsX said:

 

At least in the case of Sky -- I don't see how you could win that side of the debate.  OK, it's too sensitive to act hurt and obsess about it.  But it strikes me as a carefully considered business practice.  Somebody is editing the shows.  Somebody is boss of the comms and pundits, directing and evaluating them. In discussing results, the table, and individual players, isn't LCFC given far less time than richer but currently far less successful clubs?  With exceptions rare enough to be very noticeable.

 

NBCSN's advertising and pundits do give us a proportion of coverage closer to our current stature as a playing unit.  The contrast is striking.

 

 

* caveat -- I'm saying this as someone with limited exposure (NBC broadcasts of Sky Sports News and transfer day are not things I return to, nor do I seek out their social media clips unless posted on here).

It's made worse on Sky and BT because this bias is not new for years now they been showing more of the Rich 4/6 live games than the other teams. So on the reruns of previous games and their reviews of current games they have so much more material for those 6 clubs to keep regurgitating. 

 

You can see this quite clearly when they run their previous season review montages especially for 2015/16 where in the hour long programme they have very few bits of our games until you get to the last few even then most attention is focused on the Chelsea /v Spurs game where of course Chelsea won the League for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, davieG said:

It's made worse on Sky and BT because this bias is not new for years now they been showing more of the Rich 4/6 live games than the other teams. So on the reruns of previous games and their reviews of current games they have so much more material for those 6 clubs to keep regurgitating. 

 

You can see this quite clearly when they run their previous season review montages especially for 2015/16 where in the hour long programme they have very few bits of our games until you get to the last few even then most attention is focused on the Chelsea /v Spurs game where of course Chelsea won the League for us.

Cant underestimate Chelsea’s role in our title win! So grateful how they won the last 10 games for us that season. Respect. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

That's nothing. There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis...

 

That, I'm afraid, is bollocks.

Yes the media focus more on the top six than anything else - bigger fanbases mean they sell more papers, gets more clicks etc - but suggesting they want to keep the top six the same isn't true.

More confusion about 'top' and 'big'. LCFC have been top 6 for 2 seasons now. However, I think big refers to financial status. Or summat. 

 

Sky favour big as it gets them more viewers, clicks, bets etc. 

 

Which do we aspire to? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Big or Top, it makes no difference, its all about what the metric is based on, it is essentially the same low rumbling invisible dissonance that has been, and continues rippling through society. The sickening ability to reset or redefine observable evidence to suit a different narrative/agenda. 

 

The same holds true in so called fake news (clearly of far more import) but it echoes through society at all its many levels of import.

 

Anyway, we is 3rd  :scarf:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Serious question, does anyone actually WANT to be considered part of the big six? 

 

It doesn't really mean anything, does it? Its a tag attached to you by the media that awards you more coverage but that brings with it more scrutiny, criticism and pressure to the team. Not to mention plastic fans from places like Africa that add nothing to our club but a skewed and warped appearance to who we actually are. 

 

I'll take finishing top 6 year in, year out without their mainstream acceptance quite gladly. 

If the success continued it is the next natural step but Id be happy with a few more years of "big 6 + leicester" where they have to begrudgingly include us due to us continuing to outperform the big 6.

 

Whether it lasts or not.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davieG said:

It's made worse on Sky and BT because this bias is not new for years now they been showing more of the Rich 4/6 live games than the other teams. So on the reruns of previous games and their reviews of current games they have so much more material for those 6 clubs to keep regurgitating. 

 

You can see this quite clearly when they run their previous season review montages especially for 2015/16 where in the hour long programme they have very few bits of our games until you get to the last few even then most attention is focused on the Chelsea /v Spurs game where of course Chelsea won the League for us.

Well, that's half true. You see when our fixtures get spread (and they most certainly are this year), purchasing the rights to show those games clips becomes problematic. Basically unless you broadcast most of the games, the clips you have access to can be limited. Not sure if that's changed or not, or I'm talking absolute balls...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

If the success continued it is the next natural step but Id be happy with a few more years of "big 6 + leicester" where they have to begrudgingly include us due to us continuing to outperform the big 6.

 

Whether it lasts or not.

 

 

I like this 'big 6 plus Leicester' tag. It's becoming a universal tagline. 

 

Reinforces our disrupter,  outlier image....so much cooler than old.money

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Well, that's half true. You see when our fixtures get spread (and they most certainly are this year), purchasing the rights to show those games clips becomes problematic. Basically unless you broadcast most of the games, the clips you have access to can be limited. Not sure if that's changed or not, or I'm talking absolute balls...

 

I get that and because between them they show all of the Rich 6's games then they'll obviously have access to more clips of their games. I think that was my point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

I like this 'big 6 plus Leicester' tag. It's becoming a universal tagline. 

 

Reinforces our disrupter,  outlier image....so much cooler than old.money

Prefer Rich 6 + Leicester.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wizerud said:

https://www.90min.com/posts/the-strikers-that-leicester-should-target-to-replace-jamie-vardy-ranked
 

A fairly comprehensive article over a long-belaboured point. 

I'm not convinced we need a like for like striker our game is much more complex yet adjustable than it was in 2015/16 so I'm sure we have the players and manager to adapt our playing style to suit a number of different types of striker. 

 

With the striker position you can have cover that provides a like for like in case of injuries or someone that allows you to change your approach to the game vital if your 1st choice is struggling to make an impact.  Of Course 3/4 equally good ones would be better.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

 

True but then Tottenham are extremely, extremely borderline and barely squeeze in to make it a "six." It's insecurity in the knowledge they don't really belong at the top table either that has them lashing out and the nearest thing approaching, which is us. 

I know. If they are suggesting we're not a big six club (we aren't) because of our lack of trophies then how can they put themselves in a group with Arsenal, Man United and Liverpool then? Let alone above the likes of Aston Villa and Everton.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Corky said:

I know. If they are suggesting we're not a big six club (we aren't) because of our lack of trophies then how can they put themselves in a group with Arsenal, Man United and Liverpool then? Let alone above the likes of Aston Villa and Everton.

But since the premier league began we have won more than, spurs, villa and everton.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is the big 6 becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. More exposure = more fans = more money = more exposure etc.

 

The beauty of sport is it is a meritocracy, think if sprinting it doesn't matter who you are where you're from if you can run faster you will win races.

 

The problem with team sports is the accumulation of talent and uneven distribution of money. Sky and the big 6 exacerbate this by funnelling more money to the big six by showing more of their games. You get more money for every game shown and more exposure. You show a team more, they get more money they maintain their status as the big 6.

 

It will be interesting to see how the tv payments change this season when every game is on tv. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...