Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ben Chilwell: A possible star in the making

I'm a recent convert. I had a feeling after Lille and Man U he'd 'clicked'....beforehand I was bemused as to what the fuss was about him.

The lad oozes class. He owns the whole left side of the field for us. Overlaps and attacks but amazingly pops up in his defensive position moments later. And don't even appear puffed out.

The biggest clue to his talent is his ability to tackle without tackling. He hardly ever has to 'put a foot in'. Because he doesn't get in a mess.

He shows the winger down the correct blind alleys. It's the epitome of modern day defending.

• Like 4

Just played against Croatia and Spain and looked like he's been in the team for years. I even saw Harry Kane pass it to him once, which is one more time than he ever passed to Vardy so he must be good!

Luke Shaw is also having a very good season and is another very good player but I think Chilwell is there on merit right now, and is much better going forward than Shaw in my opinion. Some credit has to go to Shaw though for fighting back from a horrendous injury and having Jose Mourinho call him out for many games in a row.

However, Chilwell is already good and when he develops a better final ball he's going to be lethal. He has certain aspects of his game that are very reminiscent of Gareth Bale, though I suspect he will be kept as a raiding left back in our team.

30 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

The morale of this story is this - young players need time!

What was the first thing Puel did when he came into the club? He dropped Fuchs and Okazaki and played Chilwell and Gray instead. Gray scored in that game and it was he who we all thought was the next to break through, but Chilwell sneaked his way in under the radar. Puel has now been rewarded for his faith in young players spectacularly because 12 months ago, I don't think anyone saw this happening.

And the amazing thing is that this season we have the youngest team in the Premier League. The youngest! Ihenacho, Maddison, Gray, Ndidi are also all first team regulars. Soyuncu and Benkovic were just signed this summer and Harvey Barnes is tearing the Championship a new one. Is it not worth a "transition" season to improve all these players? Monaco might be in dire straights now but when they got to the Champions League Semi-Final and won Ligue 1 they had Mbappe (18), Lemar (20), Mendy (22), Fabinho (22), Bakayoko (22) and Bernardo Silva (22). I'm not saying our players are as good as that set, but the point is that keeping a team of young and exciting talent together is one of the few ways you can topple the oil money teams. In this case Monaco defeated the mighty PSG to win the title. And if we achieved such success you can bet that this time, we would not sell our best players unlike Monaco did.

The future's bright, the future's BLUE! :scarf:

That's all well and good, but we had a bad game last week, so Puel out, Chilwell out, get Zidane in and bring back Steve Walsh (both of them)! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

^ Well even if Puel ended up going or losing his job, we still have the same players and squad. I personally think he's doing a good job and we will feel the benefits of his work in seasons to come (something many of the French clubs have recognised) but the great news is even if he didn't work out, we have the building blocks for many years to come.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

^ Well even if Puel ended up going or losing his job, we still have the same players and squad. I personally think he's doing a good job and we will feel the benefits of his work in seasons to come (something many of the French clubs have recognised) but the great news is even if he didn't work out, we have the building blocks for many years to come.

I really hope so, but I suspect he's on a ticking clock due to the constant rumblings from the section of the fanbase that want a more dynamic approach and more immediate results. The worry is that his hypothetical replacement will make that horrible decision that what we need is 'Premier League Experience', and we end up signing John O fvcking Shea.

Sometimes we need to be careful what we wish for - just ask those Villa fans that wanted MON out because they kept missing out on the Champions League - how did that work out for them?

Edit: Dammit, my attempt to be silly and irreverent ended up turning into a serious point - sorry! lol

Edited by TeePee
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

The morale of this story is this - young players need time!

What was the first thing Puel did when he came into the club? He dropped Fuchs and Okazaki and played Chilwell and Gray instead. Gray scored in that game and it was he who we all thought was the next to break through, but Chilwell sneaked his way in under the radar. Puel has now been rewarded for his faith in young players spectacularly because 12 months ago, I don't think anyone saw this happening.

And the amazing thing is that this season we have the youngest team in the Premier League. The youngest! Ihenacho, Maddison, Gray, Ndidi are also all first team regulars. Soyuncu and Benkovic were just signed this summer and Harvey Barnes is tearing the Championship a new one. Is it not worth a "transition" season to improve all these players? Monaco might be in dire straights now but when they got to the Champions League Semi-Final and won Ligue 1 they had Mbappe (18), Lemar (20), Mendy (22), Fabinho (22), Bakayoko (22) and Bernardo Silva (22). I'm not saying our players are as good as that set, but the point is that keeping a team of young and exciting talent together is one of the few ways you can topple the oil money teams. In this case Monaco defeated the mighty PSG to win the title. And if we achieved such success you can bet that this time, we would not sell our best players unlike Monaco did.

The future's bright, the future's BLUE! :scarf:

He's always stood out even at youth level, like you say he just needed time. We see too often on here a young player have a poor game and get slated and demand for him to be dropped. Well here's a lesson for those of what can happen if you're patient. Props to Puel for giving him a go or else he could still be on loan at a championship club.

• Like 1

I think it's disingenuous to say he just needed time, there were occasions where he'd make such basic defensive errors you'd be unhappy with with if you were 15 or 35.  Credit to Chilwell and Puel as the faith has paid off but it some ways it was on obvious decision as Fuchs is only declining while Chilwell would be approaching his prime

• Like 1

He's came on so much this year but still got work to do defensively. I'm pleased to eat my words as I didn't think he would make it at this level.

40 minutes ago, MattP said:

He's came on so much this year but still got work to do defensively. I'm pleased to eat my words as I didn't think he would make it at this level.

My thoughts exactly. I've gone from thinking he was the absolute pits to worrying we need to get him to sign a new deal in a matter of months.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

Klopp was only watching Chilwell because of  Wagners hints to him, If Klopp was that good a judge he would of signed him for a pittance when he could have,  

Offered 7m for a player thats only real experience was being loaned to a championship club 

4 hours ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

Klopp was only watching Chilwell because of  Wagners hints to him, If Klopp was that good a judge he would of signed him for a pittance when he could have,  

You mean when he was only really appearing for our U23’s ......... not sure too many of our U23 players are scouted by top 6 PL managers .....

20 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

People have still recently wanted us to play Fuchs instead lol

Like I said last season, Fuchs made as many mistakes as Chilwell but used to get away with it. So pleased Puel persisted with Chilwell and made him number one left back at the start of this season, it could have been so easy to go with Fuchs.

• Like 1