Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ben Chilwell: A possible star in the making

6 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's getting better. I think he's one of these that's always going to be prone to a howler but overall is turning into a good player. I do like having attacking full backs. Definitely the way to play.

I agree with you about the full backs but it does slightly worry me our defence have more  technical ability than the midfield do. 

22 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I've still no idea how good he is as every display is littered with basic positional errors and poor decisions. He's got the brain of Jeffrey Schlupp at times but he's also got many good attributes. I'm interested to see how he progresses, Puel loves him so he's got every chance.

A great goal line clearance today and some good attacks but as per usual his crossing and end product was the pits. The amazing run and then clouted it out of play was the highlight for me ?

I agree, but I’ll go a little further. 

His ONLY attribute is his pace at the present time. Every game he’s dropping clangers (has done ever since he came into the side),  sometimes that has resulted in giving goals away, sometimes he gets away with it. For me he is the weak link in the defence and for that matter the team. 

Why we didn’t send him out to learn his trade on loan last season, and buy a good left back once Fuch’s legs went in the meantime I do not know.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

Lets not forget he is only 21, the only way he is going to learn from his mistakes is by playing, he made a lot of mistakes last season but seems to have improved in these first two games and will continue to grow in confidence and learn from his mistakes.

Some players could take a season or two before they are fully aware of there job and responsibilities, he will only get better I recon

Understood.

Although I don’t see it as a way to improve our league position; quite the contrary; last year and this should have been the time to let him try and improve but not  at our expense in PL league games. A good club at the top level sends them out on loan elsewhere to do that, and if lessons have been learnt then they get to play at this level.

This aspect of this club seems second rate to me.

1 hour ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I agree, but I’ll go a little further. 

His ONLY attribute is his pace at the present time. Every game he’s dropping clangers (has done ever since he came into the side),  sometimes that has resulted in giving goals away, sometimes he gets away with it. For me he is the weak link in the defence and for that matter the team. 

Why we didn’t send him out to learn his trade on loan last season, and buy a good left back once Fuch’s legs went in the meantime I do not know.

Fuchs was garbage in most of the games he played last season too. I had absolutely no problem with Chilwell being given a run of games at this level. 

10 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Understood.

Although I don’t see it as a way to improve our league position; quite the contrary; last year and this should have been the time to let him try and improve but not  at our expense in PL league games. A good club at the top level sends them out on loan elsewhere to do that, and if lessons have been learnt then they get to play at this level.

This aspect of this club seems second rate to me.

Sending him out to the championship would have been a complete waste of time. He needs to experience this division and all of its' demands. He appears to have ironed out a fair amount of his mistakes. He really isn't that far off. As others have alluded to, if he was the finished article at 21 then he wouldn't be playing for us. Sometimes wonder who some of you expect to be playing at left-back for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Don’t think he’ll ever be appreciated on here. Once a player is condemned there’s very rarely any coming back. It’s a shame really as I think he’s gonna be a real talent

Disagree...within n this forum,are many hard task masters,but more often and not,once a player becomes a regular 1st teamer,then more posters from this

Forum,will be fair and start to accept and recognise the individual right to be competing in the 1st team...ie...Vardy/Nugent/Wes Morgan etc

There will always be the misgogs and critical windbags. But this forum is one that does find a fair level over time...

PS....This player,is going to become a Leicester Stalwart....and he will show the doubters,where to get off.

This season Puel and Chilwell,fought and have turned that tide,to slowly get more posters on their side...

Edited by fuchsntf

16 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

Hes not very good. Attacking wise no end product. Defensively his positional sense is poor but possibly improving.we neef a left back

Have I mentioned a couple of wingers are required too?

Maybe we should go 3 at the back and play Chilly as a WB and Ricardo on the other side?

We could get a new manager also.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Sending him out to the championship would have been a complete waste of time. He needs to experience this division and all of its' demands. He appears to have ironed out a fair amount of his mistakes. He really isn't that far off. As others have alluded to, if he was the finished article at 21 then he wouldn't be playing for us. Sometimes wonder who some of you expect to be playing at left-back for us. 

I expect a very good left back to be playing for us on the basis that many feel we should be challenging to be the 7th best team in the land. That aside, if he’s a ‘wing back’ to be able to direct crosses at his team mates.

Pretty sure he does neither of these Mr B Chilwell.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I expect a very good left back to be playing for us on the basis that many feel we should be challenging to be the 7th best team in the land. That aside, if he’s a ‘wing back’ to be able to direct crosses at his team mates.

Well I seem to recall Iborra heading in a great Ben Chilwell cross away at Brighton.As well as Iheanacho being on the end of one away at West Brom. You may say oh well that's only two instances, but it's not like we were scoring loads of goals from crosses in the latter stages of last season. We''ve not exactly had loads to aim at in the box. He's played well the last two games, the kid just can't seem to do anything to win you lot over. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Don’t think he’ll ever be appreciated on here. Once a player is condemned there’s very rarely any coming back. It’s a shame really as I think he’s gonna be a real talent

In fairness Vardy was the messiah, then not the messiah, then he was again then not and now he is again so there’s still a chance for chilly!

or maybe we’re only allowed one messiah?!

25 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Yes agree.In the ideal world the Academy eould produce some good players.But unfortunately the latzt batch are fairly  good but not not good enough to match the clubs expectation. Chilwell and Gray are top end Champuondhip level.This is good but not good enough for where we would like to be.Also We are aware that gray was signed foe the future.

Edited by cropstonfox

1 minute ago, cropstonfox said:

Yes agree.In the ideal world the Academy eould produce some good players.But unfortunately the latzt batch are fairly  good but not not good enough to match the clubs expectation. Chilwell and Gray are top end Champuondhip level.This is good but not good enough for where we would like to be.

Gray is nothing to do with our academy .............

see Edit above.He is still not good e

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Gray is nothing to do with our academy .............

Yes Give us a chance to draw breath.He is a decent enough laf but not gping to be good enough  for top half prem.We signed him to help us get to the top half which he has. But he has reached his level now.

18 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

You can teach crossing, positioning, defending.

you can't teach the ability to get up and down that wing for 90mins which allows us to get up the pitch or the pace he does it at. 

Exactly! And you'd have to be blind not to see that he's been improving in all those areas. 

I don't think he'll ever be a good defender but he's improved going forwards. Full backs are typically good at one or the other, its very rare that a defensive fullback develops the attacking side of his game significantly and vice versa.

I was excited when he first game into the team and he actually was quality for a few games, but as soon as he made his first mistake he seems to have lost some confidence and never been the same player when he first broke into the team.

He makes mistakes every game, Fuchs is still the better left back but it does make sense to play Chilwell as he is the future.

Better attacking than defending, I think his positional sense is pretty poor, and people saying on here he is a future England Left back is purely based on blind faith and the fact he has potential rather than his performances so far for us.

• Like 2