davieG

Ben Chilwell: A possible star in the making

Too lightweight for me..great with the ball at his feet but needs to toughen up. There was a chance he could have blocked Liverpool's first goal but he just stayed on his feet (maybe because he would have had to have used his right foot !)..compare this with the way Gomez blocked Maddison's effort on goal.

12 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Odd really Salah barely gets a touch. 

But there was that utterly bizarre moment when he went with the runner rather than look after the player with the ball

Thought exactly the same during the game, but, having seen the replays can understand why he did. Although quite naive of him to do so

I just hope he's learning all he can from Fuchs about the defensive side of his game while he can. For me, that still needs work before he can even be considered for international level. Definitely a work in progress, but playing week in week out will aid in his development and confidence. Still think Fuchs is better overall technically, but chilwell has age on his side. 

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

Has to be considered for a call up following Shaw's injury surely?

Rose will probably get the start despite not actually playing for Spurs yet this season.

Shaw’s excellent assist masked some shocking defending as well. He dived in for their 1st goal and he found himself out of position and facing the wrong way on more than one occasion. He does however play for Man U so not much will be said about if. 

2 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

Shaw’s excellent assist masked some shocking defending as well. He dived in for their 1st goal and he found himself out of position and facing the wrong way on more than one occasion. He does however play for Man U so not much will be said about if. 

Assist was a beauty tbh. But you're right, some shocking defending from our entire backline at times. Shaw diving in a few times, Gomez wondered out too much and then we attempted to pass out from the back with 3 forwards running at us

• Like 1
13 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

This is a great article and he really comes across well in it. I particularly like this segment:

'I feel like this season needs to be the season I push on. Last year was good but it wasn't anywhere near I know what I can be so over the summer it was about really just working as hard as I could so that when I came back for pre-season the gaffer didn't have any choice but to start me.' 

That's the attitude we want in the team! Thus far he and Gray definitely appear to have gone up a level since last season. In fact with Chilwell I'd even argue he's gone up two levels! He's been very impressive indeed this season. There was a moment in the Liverpool match when he won the ball back at left back and then went on a mazy run, ending up at right wing! Almost Bale-esque that was.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

I just hope he's learning all he can from Fuchs about the defensive side of his game while he can. For me, that still needs work before he can even be considered for international level. Definitely a work in progress, but playing week in week out will aid in his development and confidence. Still think Fuchs is better overall technically, but chilwell has age on his side. 

I find this a bit strange, Fuchs really isn't that good a defender. Rash slides, poor in the air and a real lack of pace. Where Fuchs excels is his delivery.

I like how Ben is starting to realise his potential and his responsibilities as the first choice left back.   I think his friendship with Maddison and Gray is an unexpected strength of ours as they all would feed off each other success and push each other on.