Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Most overrated City player

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Jermaine Beckford

"We've convinced a Premier League quality player to play in the Championship!"

No, no we did not. We signed a serial money grabber to waste some time and money for us. The frustrating thing is he did have a lot of talent and should have been a great signing, but he just didn't have the right attitude.

Hat trick against forest will always reprieve his faults.

Adrien Silva is overrated imo and based on nothing. Not a bad player but just average on what I've seen.

Paul Gallagher was definitely overrated. Bloke was good at long range shooting every so often and that was it. 

Ben Marshall definitely overrated too. Similar player to Gallagher actually.

Enjoyable thread, its Funny seeing so many people not understand what overated means. Slimani, Amartey etc can't be underated because a huge percentage of our fan base has always thought they were crap.

Fuchs can't be underated because he's old and crap now, you have to look at his time here as a whole.

Anyway I'm going to say Steve Howard. People loved him because he was a traditional "English" striker and cause he scored that goal against Leeds but he was horrendous to watch and his goal scoring record pretty poor. And the sight of him bollocking midfielders, pointing to his head angrily, because they were trying to play it about a bit when they should be lumping it aimlessly for him to head was a truly depressing sight.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

Great idea for a thread. 

Some terrible suggestions from people though.

Anyone who genuinely thinks that Maguire, Kasper, Vardy, Mahrez or Cambiasso were overrated (especially when you take into account what we paid for them) belongs in the queue for a slap at the Emporium at Coalville...

The only thing I've qued for at emporium were small yellow and had smiley faces on lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

Great idea for a thread. 

Some terrible suggestions from people though.

Anyone who genuinely thinks that Maguire, Kasper, Vardy, Mahrez or Cambiasso were overrated (especially when you take into account what we paid for them) belongs in the queue for a slap at the Emporium at Coalville...

To be fair what we paid for a player has nothing to do with how overrated they are. Also players like the ones mentioned are exactly the kind of players people should be mentioning because of the fact they are so highly thought of and 'rated' within the game. To be overrated you have to be rated. 

4 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

To be fair what we paid for a player has nothing to do with how overrated they are. Also players like the ones mentioned are exactly the kind of players people should be mentioning because of the fact they are so highly thought of and 'rated' within the game. To be overrated you have to be rated. 

True, some of the shouts in here are just crap players we’ve had that nobody rated. That being said if people seriously think Vardy is overrated for a club like us I’m really not sure what their expectations are. He’s a club legend and maybe our best ever (he is for me) 

Edited by foxfanazer

10 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Ok. Just to be clear, then. You think that Mahrez, Kasper, Vardy and Cambiasso didn't achieve what they were signed for at Leicester? You think that because people rated them – for winning the Premier League, or for playing a big part in keeping us up in 2014-15 – they were overrated?

Genuinely trying to understand your thinking on this. 

Just now, HitchinFox said:

Ok. Just to be clear, then. You think that Mahrez, Kasper, Vardy and Cambiasso didn't achieve what they were signed for at Leicester? You think that because people rated them – for winning the Premier League, or for playing a big part in keeping us up in 2014-15 – they were overrated?

Genuinely trying to understand your thinking on this. 

My point is that many people, rightly or wrongly see those four players (Vardy, Mahrez and Kasper in particular) as some of the best players in the premier league. If someone was to think that they were average premier league players at best then that is all it would take for someone to see those players as overrated. Loads of people are saying players like slimani or akinbiyi but no one would particularly rate them highly so it's very hard for them to be considered overrated in my opinion.

For what it's worth I've said that I think Mahrez is a bit overrated thats not saying he's not infinitely better than I thought he would be when we signed him. Kasper and Vardy I think are quality and deserve all the plaudits they are getting. As for cambiasso I think he is mildly overrated, quality player but I think his reputation and status clouds minds a tiny bit sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

My point is that many people, rightly or wrongly see those four players (Vardy, Mahrez and Kasper in particular) as some of the best players in the premier league. If someone was to think that they were average premier league players at best then that is all it would take for someone to see those players as overrated. Loads of people are saying players like slimani or akinbiyi but no one would particularly rate them highly so it's very hard for them to be considered overrated in my opinion.

For what it's worth I've said that I think Mahrez is a bit overrated thats not saying he's not infinitely better than I thought he would be when we signed him. Kasper and Vardy I think are quality and deserve all the plaudits they are getting. As for cambiasso I think he is mildly overrated, quality player but I think his reputation and status clouds minds a tiny bit sometimes. 

Ok. fair enough! Thanks for clarifying.

If I may, I'd like to suggest that, because the topic was "Most overrated City player", those four (Vardy, Mahrez, Kasper, Cambiasso), would, in my book, warrant an instant disqualification from even being considered for that unwanted award. 

Leicester picked Vardy from relative obscurity for £1m. Since then, he has become an England squad regular and broke the Premier League record for goals in successive games. With his 24 goals in 36 appearances, Jamie helped LCFC win the Premier League title in what has widely been described as the most unlikely title win ever.

We paid around £450,000 for Mahrez, who scored 17 goals in 37 games for us in that unforgettable title run. Not forgetting the Champions League goals the following season which saw us establish us as the only English club in the quarterfinals of the competition. 

As for Kasper, we signed him at a time when we were desperately looking for someone to come in and do a job for us. I remember this forum being distinctly unimpressed by him, suggesting that he had only got the move because of his dad etc. Fair enough at the time – he came to us from Leeds, where he hardly pulled up trees, following dodgy spells (in every meaning of the term) at Coventry, Notts County and Falkirk. How he not only established himself here, but also made him a target for the likes of Man U, Juventus and Milan. 

Cambiasso is one of the best players the game of football has seen in the role he plays. In the one season he played for us, there were plenty of times when he delivered. 31 appearances and 5 goals – some of the goals which (like the West Ham one) turned out to be crucial for us. Not to mention the impact he had in other areas of the game. 

So, in short, I really don't think any of those four should even be considered as the most "overrated players" to ever to play for Leicester City. Even those who say that Vardy or Mahrez are the best players in the league in their position would have a case – look at how many goals Vardy has scored compared with other out-and-out strikers in the past three years. And look at the stats for Mahrez (goals, assists, created chances) when compared against other wingers/midfielders since 2015. 

Not having a go – just think that we did amazingly well to get those four (Mahrez, Vardy, Kasper, Cambiasso) to play in the Leicester shirt, and I genuinely believe that they all delivered on what we got them in for. There are plenty of other names that we could throw out when the topic of  "overrated" comes up, so I just feel that it is a rather ludicrous to even consider any of those four. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Anyway I'm going to say Steve Howard. People loved him because he was a traditional "English" striker and cause he scored that goal against Leeds but he was horrendous to watch and his goal scoring record pretty poor. And the sight of him bollocking midfielders, pointing to his head angrily, because they were trying to play it about a bit when they should be lumping it aimlessly for him to head was a truly depressing sight

Steve Howard in a nutshell. Well described.