Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

City break recommendations

Me and my girlfriend are looking for a nice city break for February next year. Any recommendations on somewhere fairly romantic? Looking to stay for a week

Also does anybody here use Airbnb for accommodation? If so have you had good experiences from it?

Edited by foxfanazer

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Me and my girlfriend are looking for a nice city break for February next year. Any recommendations on somewhere fairly romantic? Looking to stay for a week

Also does anybody here use Airbnb for accommodation? If so have you had good experiences from it?

Barcelona - lots to do and see and easy to get around.

No idea about AirBNB I have never used it but hear very good things about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Claridge said:

innsbruck Austria is great in the winter. Easy to visit a lot of other places from there. Wrap up warm though

Thanks, I’d be happy to go somewhere cold, she might take convincing lol

If she wants to go away in February though she ain’t gonna get anywhere too hot

Lisbon at that time of year would be very romantic and not so busy. It's a pretty cheap to visit too. I stayed in an airbnb there last time and it was beautiful but it was actually that visit, combined with living in a city with similar problems that finally made me swear off airbnb, stick to hotels 

1 minute ago, what? said:

Lisbon at that time of year would be very romantic and not so busy. It's a pretty cheap to visit too. I stayed in an airbnb there last time and it was beautiful but it was actually that visit, combined with living in a city with similar problems that finally made me swear off airbnb, stick to hotels 

Ah ok thanks for that. What in particular put you off Airbnb if you don’t mind me asking? 

100% recommend Air BNB. A couple of suggestions...

Check the references of the Hosts

Double check addresses, sometimes the map location isnt accurate

note that the cleaning/servicing cost has to be included.

read the reviews

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Ah ok thanks for that. What in particular put you off Airbnb if you don’t mind me asking? 

As a customer and talking purely selfishly I think they're great. I've always had brilliant experience with them but as the company has grown their practises have started to have quite negative effects on the cities. I actually saw a very large piece of graffiti scrawled on a beautiful crumbling old building in Lisbon that last trip that has stuck in my mind. 

"You're killing the city you've come to see, **** you and **** AirBnb" 

Pretty stark but I get it. I live in Berlin, in one of the trendier districts. The local government tried to ban Airbnb here but couldn't enforce the rule and has now have resorted to heavy controls. Even still half the apartments in my building are constantly being rented out and rents in general are skyrocketing to insane levels. Basically airbnb is too profitable and tempting and in small old cities like Lisbon, if it's left unchecked, you end up with nobody being able to actually live there because everywhere has been bought up to rent out as holiday apartments. 

That said, I don't really blame anyone who uses it as a customer.

Edited by what?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Is it as bad as people say for pick pocketing? Love the look of the architecture 

We went pretty much all over the city using the metro all day and night and was absolutely fine, I think it is just like any major city really.

If you like architecture its right up your street the sagrada familia is one of the most impressive buildings I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Apart from Berlin, Rome and Barcelona I find European city breaks much of a muchness. Similar architecture, an old town with cobbled streets, a city centre square and loads of cafes with people smoking and drinking coffee for hours on end. Drop me in Prague or Riga and I could not tell you the difference

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can highly recommend Budapest, Krakow, Prague.

Budapest is good for food, drink, architecture and history. Very nice city to look at and there is a great oold bath-house called Rudas, check it out. 

Krakow is smaller but good for history and educational stuff but I doubt you'll be wanting to visit Auschwitz on a romantic break.

Prague is nice in the colder months, especially if you get snow. Some great gothic buildings and reasonable prices for food & drink. I'd choose Budapest first though. 

Guest MattP

Be VERY careful with AIRBNB.

If you are accused of damage, even two months after, if they rule against you they just take the money from your card and you have signed up for it in the T&C's.

I know who guy who had 5k swiped from his bank account and swears blind to me he never did a thing. All sorts of stories like it if you have a Google. 

Recommendations for a romantic City break - Bruges, Rome, Lisbon, Venice and Tallinn are all lovely for couples.

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

Be VERY careful with AIRBNB.

If you are accused of damage, even two months after, if they rule against you they just take the money from your card and you have signed up for it in the T&C's.

I know who guy who had 5k swiped from his bank account and swears blind to me he never did a thing. All sorts of stories like it if you have a Google. 

Recommendations for a romantic City break - Bruges, Rome, Lisbon, Venice and Tallinn are all lovely for couples.

That’s scary. Sounds like something that would happen to me as well. Been to Brugge and we loved it (when city played) 

Never heard of Tallinn before today but looks really nice

12 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

That’s scary. Sounds like something that would happen to me as well. Been to Brugge and we loved it (when city played) 

Never heard of Tallinn before today but looks really nice

I've lost count of how many times I've used Airbnb and had zero problems. I've even become Facebook friends with a lot of people who's property I've stayed in. 

I wouldn't want to spend a week there cos I'd be knackered but Marrakech was absolutely superb in its own way. Bucket loads of romance too. Not sure what it's AirBnB is like though.

Tbf I wouldnt want to spend a week away in any city unless it was a base to see more the wider country which is what makes Athens great in my opinion. That and it's also top drawer for food and history in its own right.

One that frequently gets missed when it comes to city breaks is Palma. Maybe it's because people just think of Majorca for all inclusive bucket and spade package holidays but Palma I think makes a great city break. Again not a week on its own though.

Stockholm was also fab for a couple of days, in fact I think the Nordics in general make for a good break but probably not in February. An area I want to explore far more, particularly for food.

19 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I've lost count of how many times I've used Airbnb and had zero problems. I've even become Facebook friends with a lot of people who's property I've stayed in. 

same. used it several times with no issues - very welcoming hosts who've met us as we've arrived and seen us off as we've left to confirm everything is as it should be. 

same as anything - use it with a bit of care and it'll do you well.