Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

City break recommendations

23 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Love the place to bits but not sure I'd describe it as a 'city break'?

Can be done in 2/3 days though i’m not sure what it would be like in February.

Dont worry about pick pockets in Barca, I’ve been twice and never had any issues at all. 

If you fancy something a bit different to the Rome shouts, Milan is lovely, and more specifically, if you don’t mind going off the beaten track a bit, Bergamo, about 20 miles away. It’s where my family are from and it’s gorgeous, lovely old town up on the side of a hill with a cable car to get you up there. Wouldn’t necessarily go for a full break but definitely worth a day there if you’re close by. 

Milan is a bit like a Paris with it being a little bit more cosmopolitan than Rome, but it’s a nice mix between old and new if you get me. It’s ****ing massive though so not the easiest to get around. Also, northern Italy is expensive in the main so take that in to account. 

1 minute ago, Manini said:

If you fancy something a bit different to the Rome shouts, Milan is lovely, and more specifically, if you don’t mind going off the beaten track a bit, Bergamo, about 20 miles away. It’s where my family are from and it’s gorgeous, lovely old town up on the side of a hill with a cable car to get you up there. Wouldn’t necessarily go for a full break but definitely worth a day there if you’re close by. 

Milan is a bit like a Paris with it being a little bit more cosmopolitan than Rome, but it’s a nice mix between old and new if you get me. It’s ****ing massive though so not the easiest to get around. Also, northern Italy is expensive in the main so take that in to account. 

I’d second Bergamo, I lived there for about 5 months a few years ago but I wouldn’t stay there for three days. Could do a day in Milan, day in Bergamo then Verona.

Where in Bergamo are your family from mate? Atalanta fans?

6 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Me and my girlfriend are looking for a nice city break for February next year. Any recommendations on somewhere fairly romantic? Looking to stay for a week

Also does anybody here use Airbnb for accommodation? If so have you had good experiences from it?

I went York last weekend with the Mrs. Lovely place to go, nice bars, old boozers, plenty of restaurants and lots of stuff to see. Probably wouldn’t go for a week though.

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Where in Bergamo are your family from mate? Atalanta fans?

Now you’re testing me, I wouldn’t be able to tell you exactly where, but I’m pretty sure everyone whose still left is in Cita Alta and around there. My grandad was from there originally but he moved to England when he was about 20. All of his brothers moved away like him but his sister stayed and I’ve still got some distant second cousins and what not there now. Admittedly I haven’t seen them or been in years, but it’s on my list to go back. I think I’ve been 2 or 3 times from what I can remember. 

Yeah they were all Atalanta fans, my grandad used to get the Gazzetta sent over to him so he could look at the results and match reports (he was also a Leicester fan too mind!). I always wanted an Atalanta shirt with Inzaghi on the back but I had to settle for a nock off Italy one with his name on the back from some dodgy souvineer shop lol 

awesome that you lived there though! Nobody has usually heard of it besides it being an airport for Milan. 

Just now, Manini said:

Now you’re testing me, I wouldn’t be able to tell you exactly where, but I’m pretty sure everyone whose still left is in Cita Alta and around there. My grandad was from there originally but he moved to England when he was about 20. All of his brothers moved away like him but his sister stayed and I’ve still got some distant second cousins and what not there now. Admittedly I haven’t seen them or been in years, but it’s on my list to go back. I think I’ve been 2 or 3 times from what I can remember. 

Yeah they were all Atalanta fans, my grandad used to get the Gazzetta sent over to him so he could look at the results and match reports (he was also a Leicester fan too mind!). I always wanted an Atalanta shirt with Inzaghi on the back but I had to settle for a nock off Italy one with his name on the back from some dodgy souvineer shop lol 

awesome that you lived there though! Nobody has usually heard of it besides it being an airport for Milan. 

I really liked it over there, loved going to watch Atalanta other than sitting on a concrete block for hours on end the first time i went.

The season I was over there they were lucky to stay up because of Parma but great to see they are flying now. Hoping to get back over for a game this season, probably not Roma this time though that was mental.

Cita Alta is fantastic, used to go up for food and drinks as often as I could.

12 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

I went York last weekend with the Mrs. Lovely place to go, nice bars, old boozers, plenty of restaurants and lots of stuff to see. Probably wouldn’t go for a week though.

Probably cost as much as going away too I imagine?

5 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I've lost count of how many times I've used Airbnb and had zero problems. I've even become Facebook friends with a lot of people who's property I've stayed in. 

I'm with you on this. Go with the superhosts and you can't go wrong. Actually typing this in a very nice Airbnb in Poblenou Barcelona!  

The pickpocket thing is a danger in most big European cities if you walk around like a clueless twat who looks like they've never been out of England before.

Oh and I'd support the suggestions for Berlin, Prague and Lisbon as well. 

Literally any large city in Europe could be a great break, really depends what you’re into. 

As for AirBnB not as cheap as it used to be, but personally I much prefer it to a hotel. I always go for entire home or flat and you just get to relax and have space that will not be interrupted by a cleaner or a noisy group of lads coming back at 2am. You can go to the shop and by food and a few beers so you don’t have to pay for expensive hotel bar/tourist tax restaurants.

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I really liked it over there, loved going to watch Atalanta other than sitting on a concrete block for hours on end the first time i went.

The season I was over there they were lucky to stay up because of Parma but great to see they are flying now. Hoping to get back over for a game this season, probably not Roma this time though that was mental.

Cita Alta is fantastic, used to go up for food and drinks as often as I could.

Yeah they were playing Everton in the Europa last season weren’t they, weird seeing them on TV over here - didn’t they beat them at Goodison? They also played Leeds in pre-season a couple of years ago (where I live now) so that was good being able to go and watch them. The fans are wild, and I know all Italian fans are but it’s something else. 

Di’mimo’s and Franco’s are two restaurants I can remember up there that are unreal. I imagine you’ll be familiar with casoncelli as well. Probably my favourite thing in the world I wish you could get it here. 

17 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Don't come when the races are on! It's pretty expensive generally but well worth the visit. I couldn't live anywhere else.

Although tbh I start to avoid the city centre at weekends now. Unfortunately we've been infiltrated with a few too many hen and stags from Newcastle ?

Edited by ousefox

15 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Yeh tbf you could probably go somewhere  abroad for the amount you would pay there. I went for two days and easily did between £150/£200 and that’s not including the hotel.

Just now, ousefox said:

Don't come when the races are on! It's pretty expensive generally but worth the visit.

Although tbh I start to avoid the city centre at weekends now. Unfortunately we've been infiltrated with a few too many hen and stags from Newcastle ?

Haha me and the mrs said that. In the day the centre is absolutely beautiful. When it gets to about 7pm the idiots are released. Place seemed completely different at night lol

15 minutes ago, Manini said:

Yeah they were playing Everton in the Europa last season weren’t they, weird seeing them on TV over here - didn’t they beat them at Goodison? They also played Leeds in pre-season a couple of years ago (where I live now) so that was good being able to go and watch them. The fans are wild, and I know all Italian fans are but it’s something else. 

Di’mimo’s and Franco’s are two restaurants I can remember up there that are unreal. I imagine you’ll be familiar with casoncelli as well. Probably my favourite thing in the world I wish you could get it here. 

Yeah they smashed Everton, I would have gone in their end but I couldn’t get the time off work. Shame they had to play their home matches away from a Bergamo as well but the stadium if a shed.

I can’t remember the name of any restaurants and I don’t recognise that food you mention I will have a google... they look familiar I probably had them in a place up there.

10 hours ago, MattP said:

Be VERY careful with AIRBNB.

If you are accused of damage, even two months after, if they rule against you they just take the money from your card and you have signed up for it in the T&C's.

I know who guy who had 5k swiped from his bank account and swears blind to me he never did a thing. All sorts of stories like it if you have a Google. 

Recommendations for a romantic City break - Bruges, Rome, Lisbon, Venice and Tallinn are all lovely for couples.

If you dont go often then cancel thr card when you get back and get a different one lol. Or can they still come after you  as per T&C's

16 hours ago, Claridge said:

innsbruck Austria is great in the winter. Easy to visit a lot of other places from there. Wrap up warm though

Just this week booked a long weekend to Innsbruck in December for the Christmas markets...looks stunning from the pictures with the mountains overlooking the town.

I love berlin it’s an amazing city, however I imagine in February it’s probably the same sort of weather as over here cold, wet, windy same for the likes of Prague, Vienna, krakow etc so would think of somewhere more southern people have already mentioned Seville.  I thought Porto was nice the other year.  I really like Valencia although the locals are absolutely bonkers.

i went in March when they have this festival called mascleta where they basically just blow the city up! They have these fireworks everyday for the first two weeks in March. I say fireworks but it’s just noise and smoke everyday at 2pm never seen or heard anything like it, the ground was shaking. And then as you are walking around kids are just throwing fireworks around.

about 5min in it goes real crazy, 7min in its carnage and the do this every day for two weeks

oh and the Mestalla is a great stadium if you can sneak in a game!

Edited by Jay