Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Southampton (A) pre match

2 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

Big Dan looked comfortable when we were three at the back

Only cos the ball didn't get anywhere near him.

2-1 to us, and Hughes to blame everyone apart from himself and his shit, moany, one dimensional tactics

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yes we were though when we had Vardy sent off it made things even more complicated. I know what you mean though because at one point we had Amartey, Ricardo and Gray all on the right hand side and for the life of me I couldn’t work out what was going on. But we were playing a 3-4-3 I guess you’d call it with Vardy up top, Gray on the right and Maddison went to the left. 

We’ll definitely use it at times this season just as we did last season probably against teams that specifically play that way (Man City maybe) and maybe to see games out when we’re ahead. Puel was known in France for being more of a 2-0 type of a guy than a 4-1 manager. IE he’ll shut up shop when the game has been won rather than continue to score goals but also let the other team have attempts. Given where we are as a club right now it’s possibly a good thing because knowing how to manage a game gives us a chance in the cups. 

It was more of a 5-3-1 whether Puel meant it or not. The bloke in front of me wasn't happy but I've no problem going ultra defensive with ten men and a two goal lead.

I think if shinji is not fit, Gray would be puel's backup for nacho. We've already seen him there in the preseason. God help us if Gray is our starting striker lol

This might be a good game to roll out 3 at the back.

Take your pick of 3 CBs, periera and chillwell as wingbacks, ndidi and Mendy holding the middle, and a front 3 of Ghezzal, nacho and Maddison.

Kasper, Richardo, Maguire, Chilwell, Ndidi, Gray, Maddison and Vardy (when not suspended...) are definite starters for me this season.

I want to see Evans cope better, either with Richardo flying forwards, or by putting Amartey at right back. I'd give Amartey the right back slot, move Richardo up and bring on Ghezzal later on if needed. Keep Mendy and see if our midfield is again out muscled.

5 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I think if shinji is not fit, Gray would be puel's backup for nacho. We've already seen him there in the preseason. God help us if Gray is our starting striker lol

This might be a good game to roll out 3 at the back.

Take your pick of 3 CBs, periera and chillwell as wingbacks, ndidi and Mendy holding the middle, and a front 3 of Ghezzal, nacho and Maddison.

Think this game comes a tad too early for a full 3atb. If it was a couple later, Sayoncu may be more adjusted to the team, but guess we shall see. 

Would like to see a front 3 of Gray, Nacho and Maddison though! Think the Gray, Maddison and Chillwell link should be utilized whilst we have it 

13 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

I’d imagine we’d have to call up a U23? Do we even have any strikers down there now that Gordon has gone?

Gordon never looked that decent in the u23s to me and played as a winger when I saw him. Eppiah is injured (again). And Loft needs to find his feet in the u23s. Ndukwe looks good  in spells but needs more time in the u23s. But he looks the most likely candidate.

14 minutes ago, Livid said:

Deep breath.......bring back Wes..... :wes:

Other than that Kelechi for Vardy obviously.

I'm still trying to work out if there is a type of striker that is suited to Puel's way of playing.

Evans just got 1 games while wes need to be phased out. 

By never let new player to adjust and adapt and keep drop and judge them from single match only, you will end up with 11 of 40 yo player

16 minutes ago, Livid said:

Deep breath.......bring back Wes..... :wes:

Other than that Kelechi for Vardy obviously.

I'm still trying to work out if there is a type of striker that is suited to Puel's way of playing.

A striker who holds the ball up well and attacks crosses, now where have I seen one of those before?? 

17 hours ago, Gerard said:

It was more of a 5-3-1 whether Puel meant it or not. The bloke in front of me wasn't happy but I've no problem going ultra defensive with ten men and a two goal lead.

To be fair our left wing back was rampaging forward on 70 yard runs in the last minute so it's not as if he told everyone to stand on the line. Thought he got it pretty much spot on after the red.

Very glad Ings scored last weekend otherwise he'd be a prime candidate to the next shitehawk who hasn't scored in a million years to bag against us.

On 19/08/2018 at 00:47, Will1981 said:

Schmeichel

Amartey - Maguire - Evans

Ricardo - Mendy - Ndidi - Chilwell

Madders

Gray - Nacho

We were a lot more solid today after we went with 3 CB's.

Yes please. Absolutely crying out for this formation and clearly not as far from Puel’s thoughts as some imagined.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

On 18/08/2018 at 18:47, Will1981 said:

Schmeichel

Madders

Gray - Nacho

And if Gray floats back to the left wing and Chilwell moves back then it's 4411 again.

Puel said Amartey gives him more options. His ability to play centre half and right back is essential to that change.

Edited by Foxxed

On 18/08/2018 at 17:47, Will1981 said:

Schmeichel

Madders

Gray - Nacho

This seems the most likely lineup. From the little I've seen I'm beginning to think that Amartey is a better defender that Ricardo. He's good at coming inside and helping out the CBs, and he's also quick.  Ricardo is better in that wing back role doing a little of both.

Nacho I thought was impressive when he came on Saturday. Especially when he ran at them with the Ball, He very nearly got through to score.

It's never easy away from home but I think we can win this one.

As another poster said earlier we are likely to play much better on the road this season with more spaces in behind, and Southampton seem a bit of a powderpuff ineffectual passing sort of side, exactly the sort of side our counter attacking game should thrive against. At home vs the Saints I wouldn't be so confident but away I think we could get a big win here.

Saints 1 Leicester 3

I was surprised after the change in formation that Maguire was central of the three defenders given he's best at driving forward and bringing the ball out, in the central position he might be more restricted compared to on the left as he was with England.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mark said:

I was surprised after the change in formation that Maguire was central of the three defenders given he's best at driving forward and bringing the ball out, in the central position he might be more restricted compared to on the left as he was with England.

He's barely brought the ball forward in either game this season, I'm wondering if he's been told by Puel to not do so as our full backs are the ones doing that now, another reason for us going to wingbacks so he can do what he does best. 

• Like 1

Same line-up as against Wolves, Iheanacho in for Vardy up front. One can argue whether Albrighton or Ghezzal are more suited on the right wing - I'd go with Albrighton again, not sure whether Ghezzal is fully fit yet.

I expect a more focused display from Pereira with regards to his defensive duties.

Mendy and Ndidi in the middle make for a welcome tough choice and competition for Silva and Iborra.

Puel won't change the system for a starting line-up with three at the back. 4-2-3-1 it will remain, with a few exceptions between now and the end of the season.

Play like we did vs Yawnited and we’ll blow them away. 

Play like we did first 20 against Wolves and we’ll struggle. 

Seem to have more freedom away from home. I think a solid 0-2, 1-3 for us. Then we can all sit back and piss ourselves laughing as Hughes explains just who was to blame - apart from him, obviously.