Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City chairman outlines priorities for Premier League season

Couple of points - players in their early twenties don’t command as high a salary (in general) as 24+

resale value is maximised on purchases of players in their early twenties 

the contrast of this window with purchases such as silva and slimani is stark. 

Our strategy has clearly changed with the arrival of puel and the owners are apparently on board. the mutterings from the  press are therefore odd but I guess until Percy writes something .........

• Like 2

This statement make it sound like they are going to be keep a tighter grip on financial side of things, the word sustainability is being used a lot lately.

Our net spend this summer was pretty low, whilst I think in investing in youth is the right way to go, I can't see us being a top 7-8 side or challenging for cups without decent regular investment in the playing squad.

Also we need more progressive coaches in the youth setup as we haven't produce much talent over the last 10 years. 

Edited by coolhandfox

23 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

This statement make it sound like they are going to be keep a tighter grip on financial side of things, the word sustainability is being used a lot lately.

Our net spend this summer was pretty low, whilst I think in investing in youth is the right way to go, I can't see us being a top 7-8 side or challenging for cups without decent regular investment in the playing squad.

Also we need more progressive coaches in the youth setup as we haven't produce much talent over the last 10 years. 

I coughed up my coffee reading that statement. Thanks

11 hours ago, Deucalion said:

I'm a little cynical about this too.

Dropped is any mention of challenging for European football, and in is talk of sustainability and relying on the youth team.

Sustainability has been talked about from day one, in fact that along with becoming a stable established club has been mentioned far more than they've ever mentioned Europe.

• Like 1

Dropped is any mention of challenging for European football, and in is talk of sustainability and relying on the youth team.

You need sustainable finances and a pipeline of young people to challenge for Europe. It's not either--or.

I noticed that too, quite bizarre given how determined they were that we'd be top 4 within 5 years. Perhaps that itch has now been scratched after absurdly winning it after only 2 seasons, but if anything shouldn't their targets remain the same as a bare minimum given the common from them has always been progression. It's not that what we're doing is unsatisfactory, but it wasn't the fans that were genuinely targeting such lofty heights so soon in to being a Premier League team once again. I wouldn't mind if they showed some real due diligence with our youth team, they pumped a fair bit of money in to it a few years back but did nothing to remedy the people in charge of it whom don't match the level we want to get to. It makes even less sense that we are to build the best training facilities in the country but will likely keep the same setup in our academy, but hey ho let them get on with it.

11 hours ago, Yes N'Didi said:

Simple. Under promise, over deliver. He's not mentioned a final league position - just that it will be an important factor to see if we have progressed. If he said we're aiming for Europe and we didn't deliver, then we would be questioning why we haven't hit our targets and how we have failed. If we get there then great.

People are quick to forget that 7th was only good enough last season because the top four claimed both pieces of silverware. I am not so confident that this season 7th place will take a European spot and in all reality are we good enough to be top 6? I'm optimistic about our future but we're not there yet.

Why didn't they deem it appropriate to under promise when we first got back in the Premier League, it was bordering on embarrassing that they were claiming we'd be one of the top boys in England within a few years. Yet, somehow we were for a season or so and a lot of the footballing world had to shake their heads and consider perhaps being ambitious as a smaller club in football can pay off with tangible success. I think the blueprint right now is a sensible way of going but it's a big shift from their statements they've made previously.

11 hours ago, Gerard said:

The evolution of the club now we're as safe in this league as we're ever likely to be over the next few years is to improve our infrastructure. Building a new world class training facility and plans to increase the stadium capacity and make the stadium less generic will be massive for our foundation.

We need to aim to become one of the bigger clubs in the PL over this next decade and keep up with the likes of Everton and West Ham.

I have a soft spot for both these clubs,but....!!  I don't want to ever use the modern day West ham has a muster of stable PL-club.

Everton yes... And I believe they are/will be the team from the also rans,to finish above of.

Other teams I fancy a bit...to kick on and be teams we must neutralise.

Cpalace...IMO will have comfortable season,and will be in a top half mix

Watford...just might,turn it around,and have good EOS run in. If they do they could be the team of the season.Could break top 5 like Everton.

Wolves...We got a result,but I see them comfortable getting top 9-12.yet

Bournemouth and Steady Eddie,could surprise a few,squad depth is the question. but Could be in the 8-10th mix

Fulham and Hammers have spent......I can't judge yet,but presently Their defences look worse than ours,before this season.If they don't get it

Right,could be in a long season in 20-14th dogfight.

The rest....no idea,but would like to see some positive suprises....Obviously not at our expense..:)

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I noticed that too, quite bizarre given how determined they were that we'd be top 4 within 5 years. Perhaps that itch has now been scratched after absurdly winning it after only 2 seasons, but if anything shouldn't their targets remain the same as a bare minimum given the common from them has always been progression. It's not that what we're doing is unsatisfactory, but it wasn't the fans that were genuinely targeting such lofty heights so soon in to being a Premier League team once again. I wouldn't mind if they showed some real due diligence with our youth team, they pumped a fair bit of money in to it a few years back but did nothing to remedy the people in charge of it whom don't match the level we want to get to. It makes even less sense that we are to build the best training facilities in the country but will likely keep the same setup in our academy, but hey ho let them get on with it.

Why didn't they deem it appropriate to under promise when we first got back in the Premier League, it was bordering on embarrassing that they were claiming we'd be one of the top boys in England within a few years. Yet, somehow we were for a season or so and a lot of the footballing world had to shake their heads and consider perhaps being ambitious as a smaller club in football can pay off with tangible success. I think the blueprint right now is a sensible way of going but it's a big shift from their statements they've made previously.

Ric, they've never said that once to us from what I can remember. The only thing remotely close to that, was the stuff that came from Thailand just after promotion, where they sat down with the press over there, and that could be lost in translation or just bluster to drum up interest. We only heard about it because Stringer decided to put it out through the BBC.

To us, on the website and through the match dayprogramme they have only ever really talked about getting us sustainable and establishing ourselves as the first goals, with the ultimate aim of challenging at the right end of the table.

• Like 2

Its good to see there is a plan, and I think as long as we not in threat of relegation they will stick for Puel for a couple of seasons. Unless the fans really turn on Puel. They've got a bit of unfair reputation amongst the press for sacking managers when I think they've always tried to be patient, stuck with Pearson when many wouldn't have and then were forced to make a decision in the summer, they stuck with Ranieri out of loyalty and made a brave decision. Yes Shakespeare wasn't given a lot of time last season but I think they never really wanted to give it him full time but felt he deserved an opportunity.

They will act if necessary, usually when we are in the bottom 3, but I think they'll give a manager every chance to impress.

1 hour ago, LinekersApples said:

It's actually quite brave of the chairman.

In a world where the younguns want instant success/entertainment/results, it's refreshing to see so many of you agree that long term stability is key.  Us slightly older fans remember relegation, relegation again and the threat of bankruptcy. For those who weren't around.... it was shit.

A new training ground, an improved stadium and surrounding area + a vision to develop youth and never have to fear the dark days is essential.  We'll have good seasons along the way and when we do, we'll be more prepared to build on that success.  When we won the league, we weren't quite ready to build and go again.  It's a difficult thing to do, even with a lot of money.  

I agree it's brave and performance wise I have no concerns at the moment. Clearly very sensible owners who we are blessed to have and I don't fear the dark days at all at the moment like the 80s or 00s.

You are right about the season after winning the league, Lineker's Apples, we were no where near ready (squad wise let alone anything else) to push on for another season; so long term building is very very important. It's a great great relief to hear the owner say that and I hope after a run of 3-4 poor games that is still his view?!

So yes it is massively heartening to hear that we're not chopping and changing at this moment in time...

However, I think we can and should demand more in terms of the culture of  'the club' and our history.

I'm thinking:
  - the current stadium's name
  - the old Filbert Street site 
  - the shiiiiite food and drink concessions in the ground (bring in more local Leicestershire & Leicester-based suppliers).

I think there is a danger they provide a new stand for the stadium and extra facilities nearby for the city of Leicester (which is all absolutely great and wonderful - do not get me wrong) but will it all be plastered with King Power branding all over the shop and people will just accept that because 'aren't they doing so much for us'... 

Well yes but that doesn't mean we don't have a say it what it looks like or how it is run...

In fact here's an idea - if it's an Arena that they're gonna build next door then call that the King Power Arena and brand the stadium with a proper name! :)

Edited by zealot
sp.
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Ric, they've never said that once to us from what I can remember. The only thing remotely close to that, was the stuff that came from Thailand just after promotion, where they sat down with the press over there, and that could be lost in translation or just bluster to drum up interest. We only heard about it because Stringer decided to put it out through the BBC.

To us, on the website and through the match dayprogramme they have only ever really talked about getting us sustainable and establishing ourselves as the first goals, with the ultimate aim of challenging at the right end of the table.

Admittedly it wasn't perhaps in the programme notes but to be honest I wouldn't know that for sure but it was definitely reported by a lot of media sources but you're right the quotes came direct from Thailand. Sky Sports definitely ran with it a lot and seemed to be discussed quite regularly on Soccer Saturday when at first we were looking like getting relegated and then when we were looking like winning the league the year after. I don't mind the direction the club is going anyway, it all makes sense. It never made sense that we were genuinely going to break in to the top 4 but briefly we did haha.

I don't 100% agree with the owners viewpoint on Puel, but what I do agree with is their patience and commitment to building a stable club that can establish itself as a staple of this division. So if we do have a bad year one year it won't necessarily lead to us being relegated because we'll have the PL quality.

They are truly owners that are in it for the long-term and we're lucky to have them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zealot said:

I agree it's brave and performance wise I have no concerns at the moment. Clearly very sensible owners who we are blessed to have and I don't fear the dark days at all at the moment like the 80s or 00s.

You are right about the season after winning the league, Lineker's Apples, we were no were near ready (squad wise let alone anything else) to push on for another season so long term building is very very important. It's a great great relief to hear the owner say that and I hope after a run of 3-4 poor games that is still his view?!

So yes it is massively heartening to hear that we're not chopping and changing at this moment in time...

However, I think we can and should demand more in terms of the culture of  'the club' and our history.

I'm thinking:
  - the current stadium's name
  - the old Filbert Street site 
  - the shiiiiite food and drink concessions in the ground (bring in more local Leicestershire & Leicester-based suppliers).

I think there is a danger they provide a new stand for the stadium and extra facilities nearby for the city of Leicester (which is all absolutely great and wonderful - do not get me wrong) but will it all be plastered with King Power branding all over the shop and people will just accept that because 'aren't they doing so much for us'... 

Well yes but that doesn't mean we don't have a say it what it looks like or how it is run...

In fact here's an idea - if it's an Arena that they're gonna build next door then call that the King Power Arena and brand the stadium with a proper name! :)

Good post. I agree with literally everything you've just said. 

So, in other words, don't expect anything this season or the next and so on. Like others, I'm a bit depressed to think the owners think Puels style of football is the way forward, I certainly don't think it progressive or evolutionary, the word boring springs to mind.

And why have they just given a hefty new contract to Vardy when it is clear from our new style of play he will remain isolated ? While I am grateful we have such wonderful owners I was hoping for someone better than puel to take us forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Markyblue

I really don't get the obsession with the king power branding. No where I go ,nobody I speak to calls us king power city etc. Our history will not be judged or change because of the kp branding. In a corporate world it's just a necessary evil but to think it defines us is nonsense. Yes a naming of the new training ground or ground expansion with a nod to our past would be great, but the money the owners are investing it's unlikely. 

10 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

I really don't get the obsession with the king power branding. No where I go ,nobody I speak to calls us king power city etc. Our history will not be judged or change because of the kp branding. In a corporate world it's just a necessary evil but to think it defines us is nonsense. Yes a naming of the new training ground or ground expansion with a nod to our past would be great, but the money the owners are investing it's unlikely. 

Thanks for input Markyblue. But it's not about money. They don't need to sell our stadium rights anymore. The business is singing so much at the moment and awash with TV cash that naming rights for the stadium are unimportant (as are ground receipts from attendance to a large degree too!)...

At the time The Walkers Bowl & King Power Stadium were sold to the fans as a temporary measure to get us out of administration's dark days.

It's not about money it's about 'class' and pride in your club and what your club represents. I'd rather our stadium related to our unique history rather than some stupid brand. 

Think Goodison, Anfield, White Hart Lane, Old Trafford, Turf Moor and even Bernabeu and Camp Nou if you like. No club with any sights on world domination should sell the rights to the place where their players create history to the highest bidder.

It's sick and represents a sickness within football and cheapens us as a club...

Edited by zealot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LinekersApples said:

It's actually quite brave of the chairman.

In a world where the younguns want instant success/entertainment/results, it's refreshing to see so many of you agree that long term stability is key.  Us slightly older fans remember relegation, relegation again and the threat of bankruptcy. For those who weren't around.... it was shit.

A new training ground, an improved stadium and surrounding area + a vision to develop youth and never have to fear the dark days is essential.  We'll have good seasons along the way and when we do, we'll be more prepared to build on that success.  When we won the league, we weren't quite ready to build and go again.  It's a difficult thing to do, even with a lot of money.  

Do you think Puel is a fan of the youth set up at present or are we giving the old guard one more season before they're phased out?

I'm amazed that with all the positives going on, we still have those two in charge of the U23 and U18 set ups! lol 

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
48 minutes ago, zealot said:

Thanks for input Markyblue. But it's not about money. They don't need to sell our stadium rights anymore. The business is singing so much at the moment and awash with TV cash that naming rights for the stadium are unimportant (as are ground receipts from attendance to a large degree too!)...

At the time The Walkers Bowl & King Power Stadium were sold to the fans as a temporary measure to get us out of administration's dark days.

It's not about money it's about 'class' and pride in your club and what your club represents. I'd rather our stadium related to our unique history rather than some stupid brand. 

Think Goodison, Anfield, White Hart Lane, Old Trafford, Turf Moor and even Bernabeu and Camp Nou if you like. No club with any sights on world domination should sell the rights to the place where their players create history to the highest bidder.

It's sick and represents a sickness within football and cheapens us as a club...

I very much agree with you and in a perfect world of course I would absolutely love it to be called the ground of the immortals etc. I'm just trying to be realistic and don't think it's going to happen, if it does I'll be as happy as anybody.