Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cv6 fox

Mobile data at KP Stadium?

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Never use my phone during a game, only time I check scores is HT and understandable it doesn't work because 30k other people are doing it too.

Same here.  I don't even check them during every halftime.  But sometimes I might decide I would like to check them and I can't get access. 

I didn't even mind because I thought it was technologically impossible.  But now it's been suggested that it was the clubs decision not to overcome this obstacle. 

That's the part that surprised me.  Whether I agree with them or not.

12 hours ago, promised land said:

I certainly miss the odd old boy at the end of the season who thought ahead and took a small radio along to tune into the scores as they came in.

Used to have one behind me in the old Carling stand he used to announce score updates to everyone two minutes after they had flashed up on the East Stand scoreboard. :D

• Haha 1

I love the stupidity of the "there isn't demand for it" argument when the fact that 32,000 people are trying to get a signal is why its crap in the first place. Genius. 

We know nothing about the demographic split of the 17, and I don't just mean their ages and genders - I mean broader than that. 

Who are these people, what are their interests, how broadly do they represent different types of people who go? 

I highly doubt the average, casual fan has a great deal in common with the sort of hardcore supporter who's obsessed enough that they're actually on the FCC. 

You go to these committees you have a responsibilty to remember you don't just represent you and your mates, you represent every supporter. The vast majority of fans are pretty casual, normal people that don't consider it an ejectable offence if you stop singing "Leicester boys are we" for twenty seconds to text your missus, WhatsApp your mate watching on a dodgy stream to see if that penalty was justified or quickly check the BBC for the latest scores. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, smallpauldj said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned, couldn't be rubber ducked to read all the 6 pages. I don't get why we cant have score flashes on the screens in the stadium like the good old days at Filbert street.

I think there's some rule in place where the Premier League does not allow score updates to be shown during the match.

The problem with mobile data not working at half time would be reduced considerably if the club put the latest scores up quickly on the big screens.  We have to wait about 10 minutes (if they appear at all), and meanwhile about 25,000 people are simultaneously trying to get the scores on their phone.  Put them up immediately after the half time whistle goes, and I would guess that there'd be a large reduction in data usage.  I don't want to just see Premier League scores either, they should put Championship scores up, and if it was up to me I'd put up League 1 and 2 as well.  They can still keep the existing messages etc. on the screens, just scroll the scores along the bottom of the screen throughout half time.

Incidentally, I'm on EE and previous seasons could usually get the scores updates up eventually, but on Saturday couldn't get a thing.

As for the 17/17 voting against having a decent signal, when reading the minutes from the meeting, it looks like the club and the police representative spent several minutes convincing everyone that a good mobile data signal was a bad thing (mainly for betting purposes) immediately before the vote, and therefore that clearly affected the vote.  You need to bear in mind these are the same people that, at the same meeting, complained about people standing and blocking their view, and then voted against being in favour of introducing standing areas which would resolve that issue.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Snik-Snok said:

I think there's some rule in place where the Premier League does not allow score updates to be shown during the match.

The problem with mobile data not working at half time would be reduced considerably if the club put the latest scores up quickly on the big screens.  We have to wait about 10 minutes (if they appear at all), and meanwhile about 25,000 people are simultaneously trying to get the scores on their phone.  Put them up immediately after the half time whistle goes, and I would guess that there'd be a large reduction in data usage.  I don't want to just see Premier League scores either, they should put Championship scores up, and if it was up to me I'd put up League 1 and 2 as well.  They can still keep the existing messages etc. on the screens, just scroll the scores along the bottom of the screen throughout half time.

Incidentally, I'm on EE and previous seasons could usually get the scores updates up eventually, but on Saturday couldn't get a thing.

As for the 17/17 voting against having a decent signal, when reading the minutes from the meeting, it looks like the club and the police representative spent several minutes convincing everyone that a good mobile data signal was a bad thing (mainly for betting purposes) immediately before the vote, and therefore that clearly affected the vote.  You need to bear in mind these are the same people that, at the same meeting, complained about people standing and blocking their view, and then voted against being in favour of introducing standing areas which would resolve that issue.

Exactly, one way to alleviate the demand straight away is to put up scores at HT straight away and scroll through them quickly and continuously for people to see. 

The 17 votes issue bugs me way too much. How they take 17 votes as any kind of significant view is beyond me. The level of bias is huge. Yeah reading the other parts of the meeting gives some laughable areas. Lists problems, gives solutions, rejects those too.

15 minutes ago, Snik-Snok said:

Interesting.  Does it say what their main argument was?  Why do the police care about people betting?

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

I see that.  But why do the police care about betting companies?  Surely it's up to the bookies to fight their own battles?

Police being funded by the bookies :ph34r:

Think more along the lines of if it became common place for people to be able to get on events that have happened before bookies can update odds then it always has the potential to become ugly or break rules or laws that we probably don't know exist. 

6 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Police being funded by the bookies :ph34r:

Think more along the lines of if it became common place for people to be able to get on events that have happened before bookies can update odds then it always has the potential to become ugly or break rules or laws that we probably don't know exist. 

If fans are making extra money by beating the bookies then I doubt that would become too ugly.  More likely to cause the opposite.

Something in this decision doesn't smell right to me.  But it will be brushed under the carpet as usual.

To me it's kind of desperate to so want the results of the other games because of betting. I enjoy a flutter but prefer to check how I've done after the game.

I know the online cash out option will be thrown at me, however, I prefer to go to the stadium to watch the match not constantly gawp at my phone like loads do. It's only 90mins why are so many more bothered about a poxy bet?

7 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

I see that.  But why do the police care about betting companies?  Surely it's up to the bookies to fight their own battles?

I am sick of tax players money being spent on police and prosecutions for betting  irregularities.  Why do we have to spend so that Ladbrooke have a valid business model. When corels make a fortune they don't send a cheque to the Chancellor for ensuring no bets got fixed.  If the fa or mcc cant have fair game then more fool the bookies for offering odds.

• Like 1

On 21 August 2018 at 06:47, Livid said:

Used to have one behind me in the old Carling stand he used to announce score updates to everyone two minutes after they had flashed up on the East Stand scoreboard. :D

I remember the game v Oxford when we stayed up, Bristol rovers had scored, Filbert Street was absolutely bouncing, all except us in pen 4 who had had our celebration cut short and where stood looking glum because the bloke with his wireless had loudly and incorrectly informed us the goal had been disallowed. I can still remember his words 'I don't know why they're celebrating its been disallowed'. 

• Haha 1