Jump to content
davieG

Gambling Addiction - Need Help, A Chat - Read This!

Recommended Posts

Literally all I ever see while watching Sky Sports is gambling adverts during the breaks, it's absolutely sickening. They shouldn't be allowed to sponsor football clubs, nor should they be allowed to take bets for stuff like transfer etc.

 

I'm lucky enough and bloody thankful to not be interested in gambling at all. I probably have 2 or 3 bets a year, it just doesn't do anything for me at all. Watching lads spend £200+ on silly betting is bad to watch, especially when they're your mates.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Literally all I ever see while watching Sky Sports is gambling adverts during the breaks, it's absolutely sickening. They shouldn't be allowed to sponsor football clubs, nor should they be allowed to take bets for stuff like transfer etc.

 

I'm lucky enough and bloody thankful to not be interested in gambling at all. I probably have 2 or 3 bets a year, it just doesn't do anything for me at all. Watching lads spend £200+ on silly betting is bad to watch, especially when they're your mates.

I personally believe all forms of gambling advertising should have a blanket ban like cigarettes. I've struggled a lot with my gambling recently and I found it very difficult when I'm just watching TV and an advert comes on advertising slots, it triggers something in me and the urge is really hard to resist. I think it's a particular problem with sports as they seem to rely too much on the money they get from gambling companies which means it's everywhere when you watch football. I personally don't have any problem with sports betting and can partake very occasionally and can control myself but equally I know there are a lot of people out there that struggle with sports betting the same way I do with online casinos and I feel sorry that they have to put up with the bombardment of ads when watching something wonderful as football. 

 

What really infuriates me is when I read the govt wants to ban junk food ads before 9pm. It just seems so illogical that you can have a situation where you can't advertise a packet of crisps or a chocolate bar but that banned slot can happily (in the eyes of the law) be filled with gambling ads. 

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is a way for people's credit it should be shared on a database to essentially block people from gambling beyond their means, essentially like a credit limit. All gambling companies should then make all existing and new users submit an application to create an account which gets approved with a gambling limit. 

 

Obviously this is a lot of admin work and will no doubt impact the companies massively. But let's be honest, gambling is an addiction like any drug and there are strict controls around illegal drugs and imo it should be the same for gambling. Anyone underage with a debit card can start betting within minutes of signing up to the website. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/07/2020 at 00:26, foxfanazer said:

Got a lump sum compensation payout coming to me within the next week and it's worrying me that I'll blow it gambling. I've tried to put things in place to stop myself like signing up to as many online sites as I can and self excluding but I just know if I want a bet I'll find a way. Quite sad that I have to pre empt my own future actions

 

 I'm loads better than I used to be but it creeps up on me every now and again. Got a baby on the way though so I'd be distraught if I threw this money down the drain

well I guess recognising the value of the money and how shit you'll feel if you hand it over to a bookie is the first step towards preventing it happening.

 

Is there someone who could "look after" the money for you, to resist temptation? Or set up a savings account where you don't have instant access? My bank account allows you to have "pots" which you can "lock". I saved some in there and locked it just in case I was tempted to waste it on stupid purchases. I can still get the money in 24 hours if I need it, but it is usually a sufficien deterrent to avoid impulse decisions!
 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

well I guess recognising the value of the money and how shit you'll feel if you hand it over to a bookie is the first step towards preventing it happening.

 

Is there someone who could "look after" the money for you, to resist temptation? Or set up a savings account where you don't have instant access? My bank account allows you to have "pots" which you can "lock". I saved some in there and locked it just in case I was tempted to waste it on stupid purchases. I can still get the money in 24 hours if I need it, but it is usually a sufficien deterrent to avoid impulse decisions!
 

Yeah good advice thanks. Feel like I've got it under control. Going shopping in Cambridge with my daughter and girlfriend today so I doubt there will be any money to give to the bookies anyway lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, foxfanazer said:

Yeah good advice thanks. Feel like I've got it under control. Going shopping in Cambridge with my daughter and girlfriend today so I doubt there will be any money to give to the bookies anyway lol

ha ha, yeah that's a good way of stopping spending on gambling - give it to the missus to spend!lol I'm sure she can "look after" it for you!

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/07/2020 at 01:43, peach0000 said:

I personally believe all forms of gambling advertising should have a blanket ban like cigarettes. I've struggled a lot with my gambling recently and I found it very difficult when I'm just watching TV and an advert comes on advertising slots, it triggers something in me and the urge is really hard to resist. I think it's a particular problem with sports as they seem to rely too much on the money they get from gambling companies which means it's everywhere when you watch football. I personally don't have any problem with sports betting and can partake very occasionally and can control myself but equally I know there are a lot of people out there that struggle with sports betting the same way I do with online casinos and I feel sorry that they have to put up with the bombardment of ads when watching something wonderful as football. 

 

What really infuriates me is when I read the govt wants to ban junk food ads before 9pm. It just seems so illogical that you can have a situation where you can't advertise a packet of crisps or a chocolate bar but that banned slot can happily (in the eyes of the law) be filled with gambling ads. 

the junk food ads ban is ridiculous anyway. My kids, and most people's kids I know don't watch traditional TV anyway! You could have a McDonalds ad every five minutes and they wouldn't see it!
 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 00:26, foxfanazer said:

Got a lump sum compensation payout coming to me within the next week and it's worrying me that I'll blow it gambling. I've tried to put things in place to stop myself like signing up to as many online sites as I can and self excluding but I just know if I want a bet I'll find a way. Quite sad that I have to pre empt my own future actions

 

 I'm loads better than I used to be but it creeps up on me every now and again. Got a baby on the way though so I'd be distraught if I threw this money down the drain

Give the money to a family member and ask them to keep it, state that you have to provide proof of what you need it for if you are to ask for the money back in the next year or two. Accountability goes a long way in to breaking habits and abstaining from relapses. All the best mate, you can do it. Think about your nippers future.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

One of my very worst days. Feel completely empty and worthless

I know exactly how you are feeling, it is truly awful. There’s always a light at the end of the tunnel though. I don’t know what works for you but if you can get past the narcissistic monologue’s then GA will help.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Congratulations. Hoping I can do the same. Only on day 15

If I can do it then you can mate. You’ve just got to take it all one day at a time. I can’t put into words how much my life has improved through not gambling, financially personally and professionally it’s changed everything. Keep it up mate.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 04/12/2020 at 05:45, Col city fan said:

Fascinating to see the rise in women gamblers. I’d only seen it personally as a male pursuit. Apart from online bingo of course.

Of course there will be plenty of women gambling, but I imagine a large chunk of this will be people signing up for a second/third account. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55215778

 

The age limit for playing the National Lottery is set to be raised from 16 to 18 from next October as the government moves to crack down on gambling.

The government has pledged a "major and wide-ranging review" of the sector, which may include limits on online stakes and restrictions on advertising.

Betting firms could also be banned from sponsoring football shirts.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/12/2020 at 23:13, lildave3 said:

Of course there will be plenty of women gambling, but I imagine a large chunk of this will be people signing up for a second/third account. 

Yes I’ve had to use accounts in all my families names in order to get bets on. So I’d say the majority of accounts in female names are being used by people like me.  The firms know that as well.  I’ve lost count of the rings they’ve made us jump through to get paid. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55273687

YouTube lets users mute gambling and alcohol ads

YouTube is rolling out tools that will let users hide gambling and alcohol ads if they do not want to view them.

The new settings come in response to "feedback that some people would prefer to limit ads in certain categories," YouTube said.

Online gambling advertising has increased substantially in recent years, leading to concerns about its impact on children and young people.

The feature will not guarantee that all ads are filtered out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...