Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Frost

Morgan

Recommended Posts

Just now, Foxxed said:

A better partner for Maguire or Soyuncu.

And you’re basing him being a better partner for these on what exactly? Because unless you’ve seen him week in week out (highly doubtful) I’m not sure how you can just assume this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bert said:

And you’re basing him being a better partner for these on what exactly? Because unless you’ve seen him week in week out (highly doubtful) I’m not sure how you can just assume this. 

You're right. I haven't. Yet the feedback from Celtic fans make it sound like it'd be worth a shot. Unless Maguire and Morgan improve we'll leak goals as before. And Soyuncu seems to be a player in the Maguire mould. And if Evans stays injured I'd seriously consider ingrating Benk into the team sooner rather than later. It'll be interesting to see how Morgan and (I assume) Soyuncu fair on Saturday.

Edited by Foxxed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Foxxed said:

You're right. I haven't. Yet the feedback from Celtic fans make it sound like it'd be worth a shot. Unless Maguire and Morgan improve we'll leak goals as before. And Soyuncu seems to be a player in the Maguire mould. And if Evans stays injured I'd seriously consider ingrating Benk into the team sooner rather than later. It'll be interesting to see how Morgan and Maguire fair on Saturday.

I’d rather Benkovic get a full season in with Celtic rather than bring him back for a game here or there with us and then see what he can offer next season. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/wes-morgan-leicester-city-contract-2359050

 

Leicester City are reportedly preparing to offer Wes Morgan a new contract.

Foxes skipper Morgan's current deal expires at the end of the season and the Sun say he is expected to stay and will "open talks over a new deal shortly."

The 2015-16 title winner with City has made 16 appearances this season, and played the full 90 minutes of Saturday's 1-0 win at Chelsea .

He has fended off competition from summer signing Caglar Soyuncu and has continued to remain at the heart of Claude Puel's defence, continuing his partnership with Harry Maguire . He hasn't missed a minute of City's previous eight matches.

Morgan joined City from Nottingham Forest six years ago, and in that time helped the club to promotion from the Championship and that incredible Premier League success.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Beechey said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/wes-morgan-leicester-city-contract-2359050

 

Leicester City are reportedly preparing to offer Wes Morgan a new contract.

Foxes skipper Morgan's current deal expires at the end of the season and the Sun say he is expected to stay and will "open talks over a new deal shortly."

The 2015-16 title winner with City has made 16 appearances this season, and played the full 90 minutes of Saturday's 1-0 win at Chelsea .

He has fended off competition from summer signing Caglar Soyuncu and has continued to remain at the heart of Claude Puel's defence, continuing his partnership with Harry Maguire . He hasn't missed a minute of City's previous eight matches.

Morgan joined City from Nottingham Forest six years ago, and in that time helped the club to promotion from the Championship and that incredible Premier League success.

This is going to do down well......  X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People will kick off but if he's signing a new deal to be back up to our up and coming CBs then I'm all for it. Can think of far worse options for back up than Wes.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be against offering him a new deal on the basis that it's an additional year and he recognises that Soyuncu / Benkovic will be blooded in a little more. Factor in Maguire will be off (likely) and it makes sense.

I think he's been exceptional recently, really picked up – but I don't want us to keep him on at the expense of developing the prospects we've got. One thing that Puel should get universal praise for is his managing of Chilwell, I hope he brings on one of the centre halves in a similar fashion.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Has he not bloody proven he's still go something to offer. The clamour to get rid of him just defies belief. We need 5 centre backs, but there is no point having 5 in the age bracket that will expect to play consistently.

 

We've got the succession plan sorted now with the signings in the summer. He'll slip down the pecking order as the others step up. 

He won't.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally although Wes legs may have gone, the experience and know-how he brings to the team is invaluable. Big games like Chelsea away you need seasoned veterans whose head isn’t going to go. And at 1-0 up do what needs to be done. Sure if we had a realistic back up option with premier league experience and someone who can sustain a run of good form longer than 2 games, then by all means drop him. But until then forums like this are useless. The captains held on to a clean sheet in one of our hardest games of the seasons. Credit where credit is due. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Has he not bloody proven he's still go something to offer. The clamour to get rid of him just defies belief. We need 5 centre backs, but there is no point having 5 in the age bracket that will expect to play consistently.

 

We've got the succession plan sorted now with the signings in the summer. He'll slip down the pecking order as the others step up. 

 

Four CB's is ample unless we get into Europe. 

 

The 5th choice CB can be covered by the best youngster or Amartey. Our five CB's at the moment either are on £60k+ a week or cost £10m+, that's overkill IMO. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not voted on the Puel IN/OUT poll thus far. BUT if he extends Morgan's stay, which then, in turn, hinders the progress and timeline of our much-needed CB over-haul, I will be voting out.  

 

We need to move on here as Wes Morgan is not the future.  He is far to slow now to play regularly in any EPL team that has ambitions to achieve a Europa League place.  He together with either of Harry or Evans in a two will be asking for trouble in many games going forward.  For his good points, of which he still has some for sure, he is not capable of playing the ball out by any stretch of the imagination. Although Puel has stopped him hoofing it.

 

Now part of me thinks that as Puel is indeed a great advocate of giving younger players a chance, then logically, by keeping Wes on as say a purely bit-part reserve squad member, this should not mean this will hold back both Soyuncu & Benkovic.  BUT we saw this travesty last season with the handling of Dragovic and Armatey whereby Morgan came straight back into the side whenever he was fit.  This scenario scares me.

 

Being charitable is one thing, but Huth, King and Simmo have not been afforded this same gesture and there is a time in the life of a footballer when he just has to move on or accept, the younger options we have must start to play and take us forward.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's been our best centre back this season.

 

Not sure why people would be against this. He's been a big reason our defence has sured up recently.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve got a very young side and if you add Benkovic and Soyuncu to a defensive set up that already has Chilwell, Ndidi, Choudhury and Ricardo then I think keeping Wes around to help is the obvious thing to do. He may not have 40 games a season left in him or be able to keep up with a lot of the faster strikers in the league but he still has a lot to offer both on and off the field.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mo-rima said:

He done great job for us.

I think it's time to move on .

Beat me to it, he has been great for us and overall done a great job this season. However we bought 2 young un's in the summer and i would like us to start to intergrate them into the team next season.

 

Soyuncu already showing promise and Benkovic doing the shit at Celtic, is the way forward

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has been excellent for the last couple of months, I would happily see him get a extra year, I would be surprised he got the same wages

4 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

 

Being charitable is one thing, but Huth, King and Simmo have not been afforded this same gesture and there is a time in the life of a footballer when he just has to move on or accept, the younger options we have must start to play and take us forward.  

 

To be fair, King has been struggling to make the match day squad for a couple of seasons and Simpson isn't dynamic enough to play fullback in the new system.

 

We do need to retain some experience in the squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he should move on but I can understand the reasoning behind it. In a word, Loyalty.

He's been a good servant and Captain. Plus he's a big lump in the center of defense.

But with the talent we have waiting for a chance were well covered at CB and so could recover 5 Million on him.

Either way I hope it's no more than a 1 year contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get the hate for him tbh, I think he's been very solid this year, an improvement on last year, very good person to have in the squad, baffles me how the same people think what has happened to King is a disgrace but want to do the same to our prem winning captain who continues to put a good shift in, plus I assume Maguire will go next summer as well, I wouldn't want to lose both him and Morgan in the same window, anything more than a two year is excessive though 

Edited by The Horse's Mouth
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Morgan is offered a new deal then it won’t have anything to do with Puel - he will say all the right things but Puel would rather promote the younger players 

 

tbh, a new contract for Wes probably reflects the fact maguire is defo leaving 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Gerard said:

 

Four CB's is ample unless we get into Europe. 

 

The 5th choice CB can be covered by the best youngster or Amartey. Our five CB's at the moment either are on £60k+ a week or cost £10m+, that's overkill IMO. 

You'd rather Amartey fill in than wes Morgan are you mental?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...