Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RODNEY FERNIO

House subsidence

Well what's turning out to be a pretty crap year on a personal level is getting even crapper

Three years left on my mortgage and it looks like my house has subsidence.

House is only 15 years old but is sinking faster than Sunderland.

Can't claim off the builder because they only guarantee to correct defects within 10 years of build.

Now looks like the insurers won't cough up ( still to be confirmed ) because they suspect the builder

Taylor Wimpey put down inadequate foundations.

So not only does it look like I'll have to spend thousands of my own dosh on getting it fixed,

the house is likely to be worth diddly squat when the work is completed.

Anybody here been through this ( feel like topping yourself ) nightmare ?

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If Wimpey's put down faulty foundations can't you sue? Are there other houses like it in the street?

Looks like nobody else on the street has the same issue.

I have not got the finances to takes on the like of Taylor Wimpey.

Just be a case of the little bloke being trampled on

Edited by RODNEY FERNIO

1 minute ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Looks like nobody else on the street has the same issue.

I have not got the finances to takes on the like of Taylor Wimpey

I'd get some legal advice, you might get a no win, no fee lawyer on the case.

If you have to have in under pinned, I know it was more than £120 per metre 20 odd years ago so it'll be dear. 

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'd get some legal advice, you might get a no win, no fee lawyer on the case.

If you have to have in under pinned, I know it was more than £120 per metre 20 odd years ago so it'll be dear. 

Thanks for the tips Webbo … will have to wait for what the insurer's surveyor says … but ill fittings doors

and diagonal cracks basically mean subsidence … which is what happened over the weekend.

The surveyor is not coming until the bloody 23rd because they've been inundated with claims due to the hot, dry summer

which apparently effects the foundations (  I'm no expert on this  ).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Thanks for the tips Webbo … will have to wait for what the insurer's surveyor says … but ill fittings doors

and diagonal cracks basically mean subsidence … which is what happened over the weekend.

The surveyor is not coming until the bloody 23rd because they've been inundated with claims due to the hot, dry summer

which apparently effects the foundations (  I'm no expert on this  ).

I'd be pretty pissed if my house insurance didn't cover this tbh.

I'm sure if you Google the type of scenario you're facing there must me other examples of people who've faced the same problem and what they did about it?

Sorry mate I've got no experience of this type of thing but I hope you manage to get it sorted.

Unless you live near somewhere known for subsidence (usually near mines or on coast) then surely the finger of blame points strongly at the builders? I'd have a word with Citizens Advice. 

I would also imagine that if the foundations are competently strengthened to a satisfactory level, then surely your house would have some value, if not as much as it had before?

I'm no expert, just trying to offer some hope. 

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I'd be pretty pissed if my house insurance didn't cover this tbh.

I'm sure if you Google the type of scenario you're facing there must me other examples of people who've faced the same problem and what they did about it?

Sorry mate I've got no experience of this type of thing but I hope you manage to get it sorted.

Well we'll have to wait and see Izzy but it does not look too promising.

Apparently been so many claims this summer that the insurers are trying every ruse in the book to avoid paying out.

Worst case scenario … thousands on under pinning , dramatic fall in house value and to rub salt in the wound

my annual insurance premium is likely to go from around 200 quid a year to over a grand a year. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Well we'll have to wait and see Izzy but it does not look too promising.

Apparently been so many claims this summer that the insurers are trying every ruse in the book to avoid paying out.

Worst case scenario … thousands on under pinning , dramatic fall in house value and to rub salt in the wound

my annual insurance premium is likely to go from around 200 quid a year to over a grand a year. 

I feel for you mate I really do :(

I could understand to a certain extent if it was an 'old' house, but not one built this century. Doesn't seem right or fair to me..

11 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Unless you live near somewhere known for subsidence (usually near mines or on coast) then surely the finger of blame points strongly at the builders? I'd have a word with Citizens Advice. 

I would also imagine that if the foundations are competently strengthened to a satisfactory level, then surely your house would have some value, if not as much as it had before?

I'm no expert, just trying to offer some hope. 

Thanks … CAB might be an option or ring up to appear on that Watch Dog programme ( if it's still going ).

I'll be the one wearing the Leicester City shirt.

53 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Well what's turning out to be a pretty crap year on a personal level is getting even crapper

Can't claim off the builder because they only guarantee to correct defects within 10 years of build.

Now looks like the insurers won't cough up ( still to be confirmed ) because they suspect the builder

So not only does it look like I'll have to spend thousands of my own dosh on getting it fixed,

Ffs mate, thats a steep decline. Hope  you can find a way to get something out of builder or insurance

This is why you don’t take price into consideration when purchasing insurance. 90% of people squander money on a piece of paper they don’t understand and just hope it pays out if they need it. 

Pay a lawyer to read your policy. If after that nothing can be done on the insurance front, pay for legal advise about proceeding against the builders. If law firms of strong finances see cases that are  easily winnable they’ll charge you 150% the fee but you doubt pay if you don’t win.

1 hour ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Sounds like Wimpey should stick to making hamburgers!

Oh man, that's a nightmare - and I can understand why you are so worried. It sounds like the builder and the insurance company are already distancing themselves from taking responsibility - But, I assume the house isn't going to fall down overnight so you have some time to take stock and consider your options

I'd definitely look for some legal advice. CAB or locate a local lawyer/solicitor who is experienced in this type of thing. 

There's plenty of people on here to offer support mate. It feels like a nightmare at the moment but things will get clearer once you've got a better grip of your options.

So take care mate and no need to panic - just get some advice. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll see if I can have a read up and find anything out.

Again thanks for the advice guys … let you know when the loss adjuster/surveyor bloke makes his assessment on the 23rd.

Got a week's holiday in Tenerife ( thankfully paid for ...the week before ).

The small print does specifically exclude defective work by the builder … so not only up shit creek without a paddle

… looks like I don't even have a bloody canoe with two lead weights tied to my feet.

What's worse its a stupid International break so I've got nothing else to think about. 

5 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Again thanks for the advice guys … let you know when the loss adjuster/surveyor bloke makes his assessment on the 23rd.

Got a week's holiday in Tenerife ( thankfully paid for ...the week before ).

The small print does specifically exclude defective work by the builder … so not only up shit creek without a paddle

… looks like I don't even have a bloody canoe with two lead weights tied to my feet.

What's worse its a stupid International break so I've got nothing else to think about. 

Personally if all else fails I’d still plague Taylor Wimpey and plaster photos of your cracks on any social media outlets they have running. They might pay you off to shut you up or you could atleast take comfort in thinking you have scared off potential future customers.

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'm surprised the insurance won't cover it, unless there's some sort of clause due to the recent dry weather. If you've only just changed, your previous insurers are responsible. 

Apparently … just spoken to my mate who works in insurance … a lot of insurance companies are interpreting

this ridiculously long hot and dry summer as an Act of God. My policy refers to these acts as not insurable but only 

will not pay out if my house is damaged by a tornado , Tsunami or or an Earthquake above 6 on the Richter Scale.

Also says whirlwinds and volcanic eruptions are discretionary . Better give God a ring and see what his plans are.

36 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Personally if all else fails I’d still plague Taylor Wimpey and plaster photos of your cracks on any social media outlets they have running. They might pay you off to shut you up or you could atleast take comfort in thinking you have scared off potential future customers.

Hmmmm. Not sure that will work.... :ph34r:

• Haha 3