Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

So many "puel out" calls from fans, so who replaces him?

14 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I wouldn't be happy to finish below Bournemouth and Watford but I haven't stated that. The results are Bournemouth are a team bang in form with a decent strikeforce and a couple of nifty wingers. 

I have stated that Bournemouth are a competent team who in the three season's we've shared a division with them - they have finished 16th, 9th (above us) and 12th. They are a decent team. We don't deserve to beat anyone. We couldn't beat them when we won the league.

Where do you expect us to finish may I ask?

And you know what's really funny? The last you posted or liked before Saturday evening (post loss) was before the Newcastle game. Not a single post or like after we beat Newcastle. It's a reoccuring theme with awful lot of people who are negative towards Puel. 

I am really sorry I don't live and breathe this forum but there are other things in life.I suppose my views are the exact opposite of those who trot out the same old excuses after every poor performance regardless of what we were watching.Its called blind faith.I am sorry for not congratulating Puel after our momentus win at that Northern powerhouse, I will remember to do exactly that next Monday night after another great away day.

Where do I expect to finish is 7th.This is our strongest squad ever so who apart from the obvious should finish above us.

I would add at least I am consistent in my posts unlike many on here who wanted him out then strangely changed after 1 decent display vs Arsenal last season followed by defeat at Spurs .So at what stage would you start to question the Puel evolution, Xmas and we are bottom half? , if we drop into the bottom 6? or as suggested it is blind faith and you are so entrenched that even if the axe falls you will be swearing blind Puel would eventually have taken us to the promised land.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tringfox said:

Your a funny guy!

He's not wrong. A new manager comes in with a new philosophy and we start over from zero. Ranieri didn't play the same way as Pearson, Shakey (somewhat) different to Ranieri, and Puel different to Shakey.

Puel has been here for a single year. Why do we expect managers to come in and for everything to work perfectly within a year?

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

That is true of some...but some others play every week.

They may, still don't mean they know their days are numbered. 

Unless you would care to name the players. 

Edited by sylofox
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Beechey said:

He's not wrong. A new manager comes in with a new philosophy and we start over from zero. Ranieri didn't play the same way as Pearson, Shakey (somewhat) different to Ranieri, and Puel different to Shakey.

Puel has been here for a single year. Why do we expect managers to come in and for everything to work perfectly within a year?

How long is an acceptable time to wait before we're allowed to question his ability?

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

How long is an acceptable time to wait before we're allowed to question his ability?

Whenever you'd like... I've not put an argument for or against that. However, if we sack him and bring in a new manager with a different philosophy, we will struggle.

Edited by Beechey

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

Whenever you'd like... I've not put an argument for or against that. However, if we sack him and bring in a new manager with a different philosophy, we will struggle.

Or maybe we won't?

37 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Exactly. And if you compare our club this time last year to now, we are almost unrecognisable.

Shakespeare wanted us to play a high agression 4-4-2 counter attack style. Trying to replicate what we did with Ranieri and taking the best bits. But what was happening is that we just kept kicking it long and other teams got wise to this. So we had no possesion, no clue how to build attacks and other teams snuffed out the threat. Under Shakespeare at our best we put in performances such as the Sevilla at home and Liverpool at home games where we were amazing, but at the start of last season looked clueless against Bournemouth, Huddersfield and West Brom.

Puel has changed the personell heavily. Mostly featuring younger players. He's also changed the style so we are now a passing team trying to build attacks. We are far from perfect but at our best we slapped Southampton 4-1 away last season and won super comfortably 2-0 against Newcastle this season. At our worst we put in displays against Crystal Palace (twice) and Bournemouth away this season. Pros are scoring in every league game this season, developing youth team players (with 3 called up to the England team) and the team passing it around better. Cons are still not improving the defence and being too slow in the build up for many fans.

To be honest I think what Puel has achieved in just one season is pretty remarkable, whether you like the guy or not. No one can be given forever to sort out a team, but my feeling as of today is that if he was given another year, I'd expect the team to progress quite substantially again.

Progress in this case being measured as change in the style of play, change in personell and improvement in points gained and final league position / cup progress. We acheived 47 points and quarter finals in both cups last season, so that's how we can compare our team come the end of the season.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Hatred is a very strong word.

People have reservations - some justified reservations in my humble opinion - but the happy-clappy blue-tinted-specs brigade don't like to hear them.

We all want the manager to be successful because if he is, the team is doing brilliantly and that, ultimately, is what everyone wants.

But we should be allowed to question areas he and the team could improve.

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely laughable. Shall I quote the post of mine and the post I was replying to that started the last flurry of replies. See below.

On 11/10/2018 at 09:41, foxinsocks said:

I am in a steange position. .. i can not tell if puel us good or bad for us.  I like some things..  eg playing younger guys..  i dislike other things... his tactics.  It is not black and white... but leaves me unenthusiastic but clinging to the possibility of progress.

Can someone reassure me that puel will address his own weaknesses and biases to be the best he can for us

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Not sure that's a strange position, I think that's where most of us currently are. Some good bits, some average bits, some poor bits and totally unsure if it'll pay off. But I do like the fact someone actually has their own vision and the guts to implement it.

You then get people jumping in claiming that you can't critisise Puel on here, and then you in a round about way suggesting people don't want to listen because they are a happy clap brigade. It seems to me the people not reading and not listening are those almost CONSTANTLY critisising Puel about pretty much everything no matter what, and not being able to take a step back and give fair critisism.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Tringfox said:

That’s  a completely different scenario,

Disagree.

Ranieri could have finished 14th and the majority would have been happy. Instead he went rogue and had us down in the depths of the relegation zone. Playing away at every ground with 11 men behind the ball and whacking it as far as possible. Vardys scored just five under Ranieri in his second season. He had two summers to invest in his players and all his choices were by large failures. 

Shakespeare had a summer and after a decent account at Arsenal, proceed to play for a point at Huddersfield and Bournemouth. That wasn't a vision, it was a bloke without a plan.  Mixed bag with his signings. We were again in depths of the relegation fight. 

Puel comes along steads the ship, pushes us to mid-table and then over the course of summer brings in some sensible signings. Under his watch, we've produced two England internationals with possibly third to come in the next week. 

If we are in the same position in a year's time - so what? We've stabilised as a top ten club if that's the case - something we've only achieved once before in over 130 years as a football club. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Everyone? That's not how I remember it.

What that's what it read like to me once it had been shown a few times and appeared on match of the day. You'll always get idiots blaming Wes for everything... a bit like how they blame Puel for everything.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Who has a problem with fair critisism? The only people who get flagged up time and time again are those who just can't wait to blame everything on him. Just as they do with Wes. There has been plenty of good debate on here, with people capable of seeing both sides of the picture.

14 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Or maybe we won't?

We'll get a new manager bounce, and then we'll struggle, and then we'll fire the manager, and start the cycle over again.

Or maybe we won't? But recent historical evidence suggests that we will.

1 hour ago, Ian S said:

That's funny I am sure the match day thread had people saying one of the two of them were going to get sent off and he needed to make changes.Ah that reminds me, another game where we got hammered by a team we really should be beating.

So you're saying he didn't make a sub when on a yellow and the player didn't get sent off... like they don't 99.9% of the time. Funny that.

37 minutes ago, Ian S said:

I am really sorry I don't live and breathe this forum but there are other things in life.I suppose my views are the exact opposite of those who trot out the same old excuses after every poor performance regardless of what we were watching.Its called blind faith.I am sorry for not congratulating Puel after our momentus win at that Northern powerhouse, I will remember to do exactly that next Monday night after another great away day.

Where do I expect to finish is 7th.This is our strongest squad ever so who apart from the obvious should finish above us.

I would add at least I am consistent in my posts unlike many on here who wanted him out then strangely changed after 1 decent display vs Arsenal last season followed by defeat at Spurs .So at what stage would you start to question the Puel evolution, Xmas and we are bottom half? , if we drop into the bottom 6? or as suggested it is blind faith and you are so entrenched that even if the axe falls you will be swearing blind Puel would eventually have taken us to the promised land.

Spot on.He should have gone after the palace hammering. Yes hurry up and reset the clock.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Who has a problem with fair critisism? The only people who get flagged up time and time again are those who just can't wait to blame everything on him. Just as they do with Wes. There has been plenty of good debate on here, with people capable of seeing both sides of the picture.

Quite a few on here. 

43 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Sorry the first argument doesn't exist when this week you've posted around across the days - basically happy to be proven right, not happy to be proven wrong. 

Agreed 7th is the target but if we finish 10th I wouldn't be pissed. Everton and West Ham have surpassed us on wages spent - to finish 7th we'd be defeating the traditional hierarchy and the money. 

Personally never called for him to go last season - disappointed we couldn't get 7th but we were always steadily going to be mid-table. The reason we played well against Arsenal and Spurs was that we had opposition who allowed us space behind their defence.

This is why Puel's trying to introduce a new style - every team outside of the top six will sit deep against us. You have to play football in front of them and find a way through. The reason games are boring is as much about the opposition as anything - had a competitive game on Saturday because Everton actually attacked - caught them out on the counter for our goal. 

Provided there's no crisis and we aren't in the bottom five, he can have the season for me. At that point its a good place to assess performance and then give any new manager a proper chance to identify who he wants to sign/have a full pre-season. If you join the mid-season merry-go-around you only get unemployed managers.

How about this club shows some sensible thinking for once - because it's been lacking a lot since we won the league. The hiring of ill-fitting coaches to managers and recruitment staff with no alignment to a manager. It's frankly amateurish. 

I look at clubs like Stoke, Swansea, Southampton for example - they were stabilised as a decent mid-table teams. They get rid of a manager, rightly or wrongly (because I think they were valid cases for those sackings) and it proceeds into a storm of instability. Players don't care, fans constantly negative and the whole club falls into a sham. 

Puel has flaws yes without a shadow of doubt. But those flaws aren't exposing us to relegation. We are inconsistent, expected of a squad now with so many inexperienced players. We are simply okay. Might as well try stability this time rather than bringing in another manager; just to add the outstanding candidates are few. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Ian S said:

"Strongest squad ever"... it might be our most expensive, but most of these players have shown absolutely nothing to suggest that this is our strongest squad. You talk about blind faith but I think there is a bit of that going on with your faith in the squad.

The title winners are mostly gone and we're left with a raw team, with many players who have flattered to deceive and quite a few flops.

• Like 1