Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

So many "puel out" calls from fans, so who replaces him?

19 hours ago, Beechey said:

Whenever you'd like... I've not put an argument for or against that. However, if we sack him and bring in a new manager with a different philosophy, we will struggle.

Struggle just like the present incumbent has.

• Like 1

Just now, Webbo said:

Just a matter of interest,who would be acceptable/attainable to you? For when the inevitable happens and Real Madrid poach him so he can replicate his success there?

I mentioned Rodgers a few weeks back. Did well with Liverpool for a year, built up Swansea playing good football and had Celtic ticking along okay for a few years. 

I’d also like to think Rudkin and the gang would have some knowledge of various leagues across Europe to identify some managers.

Managers like Ralph Hasenhüttl who got Leipzig into the Champions League and promoted Ingolstadt (achieving a 11th place with them) over the last five years.

1 hour ago, Langston said:

Do people still say simples? Is it 2008?

You'd think it was the way some people are carrying on like we're a club in crisis in the third tier, rather than one going steady in the top flight with a decent chance of going for silverware.

4 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Struggle just like the present incumbent has.

But he hasn’t struggled. 

The statistics say that if his performance stays the same as it has now for a decent period (points per game under Puel) we’d finish 8th based on the previous two seasons. 

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

But he hasn’t struggled. 

The statistics say that if his performance stays the same as it has now for a decent period (points per game under Puel) we’d finish 8th based on the previous two seasons. 

Matter of opinion.He has a losing record as a Leicester manager in the league at a time when I am sure we can agree on one thing at least, there are a lot of poor teams around.After his expected new manager bounce our record is poor, I think 35 points in the last 29 games but I am sure you will correct me if I am doing him a disservice.

i think the problem is expectations, some are happy with mid table mediocrity and by and large but not always pretty dull fare, some of us think with the resources we now have we should be doing much better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Beechey said:

9th place finish, 2 cup QF and currently sat 10th. Maybe we have varying definitions.

I meant a relegation struggle.

Ok, however I would counter that and say 9th was underachieving and there may be an argument to say he totally cocked up both opportunities to do something great in both cup competitions.

Life would be dull if we all agreed on things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

Turning us from an ageing, hoofball side, staring at relegation takes time. As long as we are safe from relegation and competitive, and the players are playing for him, Puel must be allowed to continue on his building plan. A plan we haven't had since Pearson left. If it means some ups and downs that's OK by me after the managers and years I've suffered as a LCFC fan.

So, I can only assume people want him out because:

1) They are Southampton fans who now realise what they've lost and who they got in his place? Let's face it, I doubt even the most anti Puel fan would want Hughes as our manager!

2) Have no idea how bad and predictable we had become?

3) How big the job he has undertaken is?

4) Actually want us to fail?

5) Spuds fans on here still annoyed they finished third in a two horse race?

6) Watched us under Pleat, Taylor, Megson and a host of other shite managers?

7) They know much more than Puel from their time winning leagues, cups and awards?

8) They are players who Puel has outed or said are not good enough?

9) They want Pardew, Moyes, Dyche, Wagner or Fat Sam in?

10) His hair is too wavy, he's French, and his press conferences are boring? (mine would be too due to the moronic questions asked)

Number 2 genuinely made me laugh.Have you watched us in the last 12 months.Substitute the word 'had' for 'have'.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Matter of opinion.He has a losing record as a Leicester manager in the league at a time when I am sure we can agree on one thing at least, there are a lot of poor teams around.After his expected new manager bounce our record is poor, I think 35 points in the last 29 games but I am sure you will correct me if I am doing him a disservice.

i think the problem is expectations, some are happy with mid table mediocrity and by and large but not always pretty dull fare, some of us think with the resources we now have we should be doing much better.

Fair comment. I don’t agree with excluding new manager bounce mind. It wasn’t an amazing start - his better form come a little later. 

On your point about a lot of poor teams, that was his curse last season. This season we’ve haven’t lost to one of those poor teams. I’d also argue the division has never had such a larger gap between the top six and the rest.

3 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

I admit I haven't read all your old posts for wanting Puel out, but since you haven't answered any of my questions I can only assume you know best, so I bow to your superior judgement. 

But I ask again, why don't you put your head on the block and let's hear who you want as Manager? Or do you fail to answer that question because you wont be able to complain about the next one?

As for watching Leicester City. I watch every match live out here in Thailand. I also watch the match in full again a few days later, even if we lose. The live match has Thai commentators, which I don't understand, the reply match has English commentators. Every match this season they comment on how well we are now playing, with skill and some really slick exciting play, and have so much more control in matches. Their view echos of what I am seeing.

I am 62 years old and have watched City for over 50 years. I have seen people lauding Peter Taylor after 6 matches because we were top of the old first division, I have seen people shouting vile abuse at Martin O'Neill after 25 matches because he was shite. Look what happened with those managers. 

But as you put things so eloquently and so succinctly, it is pretty obvious I am 100% wrong in my assessments, so, as he's available, let's get Peter Taylor back as he was top notch for the short term fix a lot of our posters think we now need!

Most of us at the time knew that Taylor was  an arrogant cvnt.He treated senior players.Walsh Cottee collymore with contempt.He broke up a reasonable team even though Heskey and Lennon had gone.He got some lucky results...See the pattern........Next manager for me would be a Punt on someone like Lamps or Gerrard.Lets have a gamble.Rannerri could take the pressure of D of F.

Edited by cropstonfox

1 minute ago, cropstonfox said:

Most of us at the time knew that Taylor was  an arrogant cvnt.He treated senior players.Walsh Cottee collymore with contempt.He broke up a reasonable team even though Heskey and zlennon had gone.See the pattern........Next manager for me would be a Punt on someone like Lamps or Gerrard.Lets have a gamble.Rannerri could take the pressure of D of F.

We could just let Derby and Rangers take the gamble and see if they are any good first?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

And there it is. 

The difference between the Iners and Outers in a nutshell. 

Some are happy with not getting relegated - the Iners, while the Outers want us to have a go, play as we did in terms of spirit, desire and application to win games on the front foot  as we did - (yes not always with Nige, but when Cambiasso assisted) for three seasons straddling two managers.

Thats what we loved; that birra pashun allied wanting to attack WITH SPEED; and we are not on about the much trotted out ‘Long ball to Vardeh ain’t gonna work’  either. 

Claude not got it; simple.

In a nutshell it's simpler than that....some like Puel others can't stand him and I mean as a person and not for footballing reasons, tell me I'm wrong.

You will cite the 1 line that is repeated, 'slow boring football' which is said win or lose but then followed by a personal attack on Puel be it about his demeanour, accent, limited grasp of the English language or some rumour about how he's lost the dressing room etc  There is never one comment of praise again win/lose for Puel from a select few.

As has been stated we are 8 games in on a working progress, 8 games with his team that is, and we are yet to be out of top 10 yet a few talk as if we haven't been out the bottom 3 and when challenged repeat the line above and say let's see at the end of the season when we are all crying in our beers.

The thing is we don't know what we don't know, we could beat Arsenal and go on an unbeaten run or we could do the opposite it's sport that's what makes it exciting.

Its mentioned we are boring but some of the Football we have played has been the best Football I have witnessed Leicester City ever play, this will stay and get better as we evolve, pundits and papers also mention our better style of play. 

On the style your a football fan so you understand why the ball is past left/right and backwards yes whilst not easy on the eye it's done for a reason. Let's pick 2 of the best footballing teams in the world RM v Barcelona have you watched 1 of those games if so you will see how many times the defence passes the ball around before 'the killer' pass forward, yes this bit has yet to happen fully with us but you need to do the 1st part before you can do the second but if you do it enough it will happen & no Im not putting us up there with them before I get scoffed at I'm saying it's tactical.

Finally I think both camps want the "differences" you mention or are you saying as long as your entertained by a Kamikaze style it's ok to be relegated?

With a £100m development & ground expansion planned I think the 1st line of the owners brief was do not not get relegated, then followed by bring the average age of squad down & develop a footballing philosophy that's 3 things before there's mention of cup runs & Europe, so far he's delivering for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

In a nutshell it's simpler than that....some like Puel others can't stand him and I mean as a person and not for footballing reasons, tell me I'm wrong.

You will cite the 1 line that is repeated, 'slow boring football' which is said win or lose but then followed by a personal attack on Puel be it about his demeanour, accent, limited grasp of the English language or some rumour about how he's lost the dressing room etc  There is never one comment of praise again win/lose for Puel from a select few.

As has been stated we are 8 games in on a working progress, 8 games with his team that is, and we are yet to be out of top 10 yet a few talk as if we haven't been out the bottom 3 and when challenged repeat the line above and say let's see at the end of the season when we are all crying in our beers.

The thing is we don't know what we don't know, we could beat Arsenal and go on an unbeaten run or we could do the opposite it's sport that's what makes it exciting.

Its mentioned we are boring but some of the Football we have played has been the best Football I have witnessed Leicester City ever play, this will stay and get better as we evolve, pundits and papers also mention our better style of play. 

On the style your a football fan so you understand why the ball is past left/right and backwards yes whilst not easy on the eye it's done for a reason. Let's pick 2 of the best footballing teams in the world RM v Barcelona have you watched 1 of those games if so you will see how many times the defence passes the ball around before 'the killer' pass forward, yes this bit has yet to happen fully with us but you need to do the 1st part before you can do the second but if you do it enough it will happen & no Im not putting us up there with them before I get scoffed at I'm saying it's tactical.

Finally I think both camps want the "differences" you mention or are you saying as long as your entertained by a Kamikaze style it's ok to be relegated?

With a £100m development & ground expansion planned I think the 1st line of the owners brief was do not not get relegated, then followed by bring the average age of squad down & develop a footballing philosophy that's 3 things before there's mention of cup runs & Europe, so far he's delivering for me.

But we are not just 8 games into a work in progress, I am sorry you cannot wipe the history of last season away just to suit your argument.I am sure you will say they were not his players and not his coaching staff but very few new managers get that opportunity when they start somewhere, a quality manager makes the most of the talent at his disposal, he did not do this last season.And if the argument is about having his own players why does he continually revert back to those that were already here last season,not select new signings and why did he not replace more of them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ian S said:

But we are not just 8 games into a work in progress, I am sorry you cannot wipe the history of last season away just to suit your argument.I am sure you will say they were not his players and not his coaching staff but very few new managers get that opportunity when they start somewhere, a quality manager makes the most of the talent at his disposal, he did not do this last season.And if the argument is about having his own players why does he continually revert back to those that were already here last season,not select new signings and why did he not replace more of them.

Because we don’t know what his official remit was we can’t judge if it’s ok to just ‘wipe away’ last season 

If he keeps us between 7th and 10th then he will likely keep his hands on the tiller 

3 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

I admit I haven't read all your old posts for wanting Puel out, but since you haven't answered any of my questions I can only assume you know best, so I bow to your superior judgement. 

But I ask again, why don't you put your head on the block and let's hear who you want as Manager? Or do you fail to answer that question because you wont be able to complain about the next one?

As for watching Leicester City. I watch every match live out here in Thailand. I also watch the match in full again a few days later, even if we lose. The live match has Thai commentators, which I don't understand, the reply match has English commentators. Every match this season they comment on how well we are now playing, with skill and some really slick exciting play, and have so much more control in matches. Their view echos of what I am seeing.

I am 62 years old and have watched City for over 50 years. I have seen people lauding Peter Taylor after 6 matches because we were top of the old first division, I have seen people shouting vile abuse at Martin O'Neill after 25 matches because he was shite. Look what happened with those managers. 

But as you put things so eloquently and so succinctly, it is pretty obvious I am 100% wrong in my assessments, so, as he's available, let's get Peter Taylor back as he was top notch for the short term fix a lot of our posters think we now need!

No need for the sarcasm dear. I value your opinion so please respect my opinion in turn. As for the next manager and my opinion on who it should be. Which part of my post did you not understand? I said I don't have to have named a replacement in order to criticize Peul. I and you for that matter will have no say in it, so what would be the point? It has nothing to do with " putting my head on the block " it's just pure reality.  But anyway it's good to hear we have a loyal fan like you in Thailand and I hope you enjoy the rest of the season.:scarf:

39 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Fair comment. I don’t agree with excluding new manager bounce mind. It wasn’t an amazing start - his better form come a little later. 

On your point about a lot of poor teams, that was his curse last season. This season we’ve haven’t lost to one of those poor teams. I’d also argue the division has never had such a larger gap between the top six and the rest.

Won 5 out of his first 8 I think,don't think we have reached those heights since?

1 hour ago, Ian S said:

Number 2 genuinely made me laugh.Have you watched us in the last 12 months.Substitute the word 'had' for 'have'.

I've watched us for 50 years! I've seen us play truly dreadful football in that time under a series of utterly abysmal managers. 

As for the past 12 months, what about the rubbish we had to endure after our title win? Losing at Hull, being 4-0 down at Man Ure in minutes, losing at Millwall in the cup, a dire draw at Middlesborough, 5 successive big defeats in January '17, terrible football, then a bounce under Shakespeare, before a new season arrived and him saying how grateful he was for a point at Huddersfield. It was dreadful and we were going downhill very fast.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Puel is the greatest manager, but I'd like to give him a bit of time, because he did inherit an ageing squad, playing hoofball. We now have some really bring young players coming through. We have 4 of them now in the England squad, and our best senior players have all signed long contracts. This is not happening because Puel is hopeless, or the players don't like him.

Some of the managers suggested on here by posters are either not proven (Gerrard, Lampard), fighting relegation battles  (Dyche, Wagner, Benitez), would not come here (Conte, Wenger) or some foreign names who are totally unproven. People have even suggested the Wolves manager, who has had 8 games as a P/L manager.....wasn't there a manager at Southampton who was getting rave reviews after half a season, and getting them to a league cup final? I can't remember his name.....Claude something?

They would all change our style again, and anything could happen.

Let's have some stability for once. It worked with Pearson, who took over in a similar fashion, and some of his football was poor. Since he built that title winning squad, there doesn't seem to have been any long term plans made, until Puel.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

No need for the sarcasm dear. I value your opinion so please respect my opinion in turn. As for the next manager and my opinion on who it should be. Which part of my post did you not understand? I said I don't have to have named a replacement in order to criticize Peul. I and you for that matter will have no say in it, so what would be the point? It has nothing to do with " putting my head on the block " it's just pure reality.  But anyway it's good to hear we have a loyal fan like you in Thailand and I hope you enjoy the rest of the season.:scarf:

No sarcasm there mate! We both want the best for City. I've just tried to put my points across, just as you do yours. I do respect other opinions, but I don't like this not giving managers time approach. The other names mentioned in this thread have filled me with dread, far more so than sticking with Puel! That's why, out of interest, I asked who you'd like to replace Puel with, because names like Dyche, Wagner, Rogers, Lampard, Benitez etc, are not the answer....in my very humble opinion!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cropstonfox said:

Most of us at the time knew that Taylor was  an arrogant cvnt.He treated senior players.Walsh Cottee collymore with contempt.He broke up a reasonable team even though Heskey and Lennon had gone.He got some lucky results...See the pattern........Next manager for me would be a Punt on someone like Lamps or Gerrard.Lets have a gamble.Rannerri could take the pressure of D of F.

It took us half a season before we realised how bad Taylor was. The start he made, top until mid-end October, bought him time. Lennon stuck around for a while, Taylor was even tipped as the next England manager after his great start with us. I remember Leicester supporters chanting his name at one point! O'Neill on the other hand, was receiving vile chants and comments after 20 odd matches in charge. 

My point was, just don't judge someone so quickly. Especially as the job Puel inherited was such a big one.

27 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

I've watched us for 50 years! I've seen us play truly dreadful football in that time under a series of utterly abysmal managers. 

As for the past 12 months, what about the rubbish we had to endure after our title win? Losing at Hull, being 4-0 down at Man Ure in minutes, losing at Millwall in the cup, a dire draw at Middlesborough, 5 successive big defeats in January '17, terrible football, then a bounce under Shakespeare, before a new season arrived and him saying how grateful he was for a point at Huddersfield. It was dreadful and we were going downhill very fast.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Puel is the greatest manager, but I'd like to give him a bit of time, because he did inherit an ageing squad, playing hoofball. We now have some really bring young players coming through. We have 4 of them now in the England squad, and our best senior players have all signed long contracts. This is not happening because Puel is hopeless, or the players don't like him.

Some of the managers suggested on here by posters are either not proven (Gerrard, Lampard), fighting relegation battles  (Dyche, Wagner, Benitez), would not come here (Conte, Wenger) or some foreign names who are totally unproven. People have even suggested the Wolves manager, who has had 8 games as a P/L manager.....wasn't there a manager at Southampton who was getting rave reviews after half a season, and getting them to a league cup final? I can't remember his name.....Claude something?

They would all change our style again, and anything could happen.

Let's have some stability for once. It worked with Pearson, who took over in a similar fashion, and some of his football was poor. Since he built that title winning squad, there doesn't seem to have been any long term plans made, until Puel.

No, it's happening because the money is right.

That has been said a few times as a positive towards Puel and it makes me laugh really, now don't get me wrong if they really didn't like him or what he is doing they might not have signed new deals but even then if the money offered was right, they probably would, money talks.

I mean Mahrez for example, desperately wanted to go, I know he said he give us one more year (Which turned out to be longer because he didn't get what he wanted) but why sign the new long deal if he knew he wanted to go so badly.

I'm sorry to break it to you but they ultimately signed new deals for the money, not because of the manager, I think that is a very delusional argument.

Edited by Matt

5 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

I have seen people shouting vile abuse at Martin O'Neill after 25 matches because he was shite.

MON's 25th game for us was a 3-0 win over Birmingham, which was a fifth victory in seven games.

I don't think people were too unhappy at that point. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

No, it's happening because the money is right.

That has been said a few times as a positive towards Puel and it makes me laugh really, now don't get me wrong if they really didn't like him or what he is doing they might not have signed new deals but even then if the money offered was right, they probably would, money talks.

I mean Mahrez for example, desperately wanted to go, I know he said he give us one more year (Which turned out to be longer because he didn't get what he wanted) but why sign the new long deal if he knew he wanted to go so badly.

They ultimately signed new deals for the money, not because of the manager, I think that is a very delusional argument.

Maybe some did sign for money, but I doubt Kasper would have. He has stated how much he wants to be part of this new future and how happy he is here. I'm sure he is the type of player who wouldn't stick around, especially after such a brilliant world cup, if he thought Puel was not up to the job.

Would Maddison have signed for us with another manager here? Who knows, but I read out here that he preferred to go to Southampton, but chose us specifically because Puel likes to give youth game time. And look at how well Chilwell has progressed.