Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

So many "puel out" calls from fans, so who replaces him?

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The statistics say that if his performance stays the same as it has now for a decent period (points per game under Puel) we’d finish 8th based on the previous two seasons. 

Correct. 50 points would've seen us finish eighth in the past two seasons.

It would also have seen us finish 13 points off 6th place in 17/18 and 19 points off 6th place in 16/17 in the battle for European football.

Puel's record with us is 50 points from 37 games [1.35ppg]

His first 8 games produced 17 points - if we'd sustained that (80/81 pts) we'd be looking at third place last season.

After that honeymoon period, it's been 33 points from 29 games [1.13ppg] and we'd be looking at about 13th last season.

We've lost 9 of our last 15 PL games, conceding 4 or more on 3 occasions.

Stats can show all kinds of things - some good, some bad - so take your pick!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Because we don’t know what his official remit was we can’t judge if it’s ok to just ‘wipe away’ last season 

If he keeps us between 7th and 10th then he will likely keep his hands on the tiller 

I agree that will keep him in post however I will repeat that we are better than 10th or should I say should be better than 10th with the talent at his disposal.

1 minute ago, Ian S said:

I agree that will keep him in post however I will repeat that we are better than 10th or should I say should be better than 10th with the talent at his disposal.

Between 7th and 10th is better than 10th...

Edited by yks

9 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I have no idea, as it can be a big advantage, and it mystifies me why Puel doesn’t use it.

Because for it to be effective, the players must have extreme stamina and extremely good technical abilities.

If they're not endurant enough, they are knackered after 60 minutes and after that, the game is basically lost.
If they're not technical enough and miss their pass after a pressing phase, that let the team completely disorganised and without the ball so in extreme danger of conceding a goal.

It's not a magical thing, you can't just play the way you want because it looks good, you have to adapt to your team strengths.
Who could seriously consider Maddison, Gray, Ricardo, Albrighton, etc are endurant enough to play high intensity pressing ?

Edited by yks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

So why doesn’t every team play high pressing football ? 

8 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I have no idea, as it can be a big advantage, and it mystifies me why Puel doesn’t use it.

Because it's down to personnel. Our own back four would be easily exposed with that kind of strategy.

Morgan (bless him), Amartey, Simpson, Maguire, Evans, Fuchs... Not the fastest, and we've seen what happens when centre-backs like Huth or Morgan get caught in a high line way too often in recent months and years.

In order to be successful with a high-pressing kind of football, we'd need to see Söyüncü or Benkovic play in the center and see how they cope, plus demand more defensive responsibilites from players like Pereira (shockingly bad when having to defend and too often all over the place when tracking back) and Chilwell (although he's gotten better at it).

It also requires your central midfielders to cover in case holes open up in the middle.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian S said:

But we are not just 8 games into a work in progress, I am sorry you cannot wipe the history of last season away just to suit your argument.I am sure you will say they were not his players and not his coaching staff but very few new managers get that opportunity when they start somewhere, a quality manager makes the most of the talent at his disposal, he did not do this last season.And if the argument is about having his own players why does he continually revert back to those that were already here last season,not select new signings and why did he not replace more of them.

But he joined with a different remit 3mths into a season when we were 18th and dropping fast towards 20th he finished 9th with another managers players...to quote "a quality manager makes the most of the talent at his disposal, he did not do this last season" tell me what did he have to do in your eyes, win the league and add in a cup?

Rafa seems to be the #1 choice of replacement as he is stated as a quality manager but with the same arguement you put why is he sitting in the bottom 3 surely with his quality he should be making the most of the talent at his disposal no? adding the fact they are his players as he's been at Newcastle since 2016, but he's let off owing to the fact the chairmans a melt.

Back to Puel As for reverting to last seasons players you refer to Morgan I assume and this is where we do agree he does need to drop him the high line style doesn't suit him, As for the remainder of the squad he can't win, he's called out to play Nacho after he comes on as a sub and has a blinder he's then called out as to why he started Nacho after having a shocker (substitute any name you want there) 

I guess we are just chalk and cheese, I'm willing to see where he takes us because currently I see positives in Lge position, the squad factor of age, the fact he's trying to establish a footballing style that will surely benefit longer term once mastered.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

MON's 25th game for us was a 3-0 win over Birmingham, which was a fifth victory in seven games.

I don't think people were too unhappy at that point. 

I was there. Even though he had turned us around I still heard a lot of opposition to him and fans still hadn't taken fully to him. I've heard MON talking about those times and it took him a long time to forgive the fans spouting vile comments at him.

However, all I was trying to do was point out the short term-ism of fans. Taylor was lauded for half a season, O'Neill was hated for half a season. The rest is history.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ian S said:

But we are not just 8 games into a work in progress, I am sorry you cannot wipe the history of last season away just to suit your argument.I am sure you will say they were not his players and not his coaching staff but very few new managers get that opportunity when they start somewhere, a quality manager makes the most of the talent at his disposal, he did not do this last season.And if the argument is about having his own players why does he continually revert back to those that were already here last season,not select new signings and why did he not replace more of them.

Thank you. Saved me the job. 

10 hours ago, Matt said:

No, it's happening because the money is right.

That has been said a few times as a positive towards Puel and it makes me laugh really, now don't get me wrong if they really didn't like him or what he is doing they might not have signed new deals but even then if the money offered was right, they probably would, money talks.

I mean Mahrez for example, desperately wanted to go, I know he said he give us one more year (Which turned out to be longer because he didn't get what he wanted) but why sign the new long deal if he knew he wanted to go so badly.

I'm sorry to break it to you but they ultimately signed new deals for the money, not because of the manager, I think that is a very delusional argument.

Agreed and I'm sure they figure they will be around the club a lot longer than him anyway.

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

20181014_095431.thumb.jpg.65cac751f88e2da6dd61b886464b2d59.jpg

Makes you wonder where this bollox comes from. Our owners are so well know for talking to the press. 

As its an international break and with urgent matters in Belgium are they even in this country. 

• Like 2

On 07/10/2018 at 10:11, Foxxed said:

Even if we did get a new manager he'd still need to deal with the fact we have two decent left backs, one decent centre half, one aging centre half, one centre half who doesn't speak English, another one who's injured in Scotland, two vaguely promising youth centre halves, a right back who struggles with possession, a right back who struggles against the bigger teams and a right back who can attack much better than defend. A new manager won't magic that problem away.

... sign Clyne, sign Mawson or get Keane. Fuch's is in his last year. Post availability transfer list to include the recently purchased centre backs but keep Benkovic. 

A lot of contracts will be concluding at the end of this season, it would be nice to get a jump on this before it is too late. Not too sure where we are with FFP but should we be within the criteria, let's get it done! 

I personally think Puel is better suited to a position of DOF, because I think he would be better suited to a job as a systems or infrastructure builder, only reason is because we share the same birthday 2nd September, and I am rubbish at people management but excel in areas of overall business system development. 

If it was called for a new manager I would go for the former RB Leipzig coach Ralf Hassanhuttl whose teams have more of a pressing style and Ralf worked wonders with bringing the best out of youth development in his teams. 

12 minutes ago, Crispin LA said:

I personally think Puel is better suited to a position of DOF, because I think he would be better suited to a job as a systems or infrastructure builder, only reason is because we share the same birthday 2nd September, and I am rubbish at people management but excel in areas of overall business system development. 

I personally feel that Idris Elba shouldn't be the next Bond, because I think he would be better in a supporting role. Only reason is because we share the same Birthday 6th September, and I am rubbish at taking the lead but excel in overall background collaborative development. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:48, Ricey said:

The man doesn't believe in training during the week on the opposition. He doesn't believe in highlighting the opposition strengths in his pre match meeting. He hasn't got a great record of developing younger players (Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc stagnated at Arsenal). He doesn't believe in the modern structure that most football clubs, including ourselves, now adopt.

It would be a crazy appointment.

Well, Arsenal must be a lower half of the table outfit then.

4 hours ago, Paddy. said:

20181014_095431.thumb.jpg.65cac751f88e2da6dd61b886464b2d59.jpg

If The Sun says that it must be true :ph34r:,

So now I'm really looking forward to foxtalk suggestions for the next manager.

I'm going for Pardew, he's available and knows the P/L well. Did well at West Brom, managed to take them out of the P/L at the first attempt. Did well at Palace & Newcasle too and is very popular with fans, (especially the opposition fans).

If not Pardew, it's gotta be Fat Sam, or we could pinch Pulis from Middlesborough. 

Not a hint of sarcasm in this post!:D

On 13/10/2018 at 10:23, Ian S said:

Here is a thought, maybe it is the manager who can't get the best out of this squad.Putting square pegs in round holes springs to mind.

The last two managers have been sacked for being in the bottom three. So where does your faith come from exactly?

Here is a question, on a scale of 1-10 how good to you think our recruitment has been since we won the league. Who have been great buys since that moment we lifted the trophy?

That reliable source the sun... If the telegraph and John Percy start saying it then maybe there's something in it, but at the moment we've got gossip in some rag vs players signing because of Puel (Ricardo) and key players happily signing extensions. 

• Like 1

Just now, Babylon said:

The last two managers have been sacked for being in the bottom three. So where does your faith come from exactly?

Here is a question, on a scale of 1-10 how good to you think our recruitment has been since we won the league. Who have been great buys since that moment we lifted the trophy?

Maguire definitely, Ndidi, Mendy is showing his worth now. Maddison is on the verge of an England cap. The jury's out on the 2 new CBs.

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

That reliable source the sun... If the telegraph and John Percy start saying it then maybe there's something in it, but at the moment we've got gossip in some rag vs players signing because of Puel (Ricardo) and key players happily signing extensions. 

Also Maddison, who's agent said Puel sold the transfer telling him Maddison would progress as a player here. So far he isn't wrong either.