Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

So many "puel out" calls from fans, so who replaces him?

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

What's Puel won recently?

Did a decent job at Southampton, took them to a cup final. Took Nice into the top 4 twice I believe. Not won much. Has a history of building young successful squads. 

• Like 1

Just now, Goober said:

Did a decent job at Southampton, took them to a cup final. Took Nice into the top 4 twice I believe. Not won much. Has a history of building young successful squads. 

Such a decent job that they sacked him.

3 hours ago, don_danbury said:

i don't know anything about ligue 1 but is nice being bang in the middle of the table good for them? southampton are terrible.

I’ve got no idea but by all accounts he did a good job at Nice. 9th and a cup final in his only season at Southampton too, hard to say he was a failure there and they’ve gone to shit since. They weren’t exactly great under him in his season there by all accounts though.

Again, jury still out on Puel for me but I’m still very much behind the guy. 

Edited by Goober

5 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

He’s not won a single game this season. No thanks. 

Benitez wouldn't be my first choice. He'd be behind Eddie Howe, who I genuinely think wouldn't come to us, his next job is a bigger step up than us, and Brendan Rodgers, who probably would come to us to get back to the PL.

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

There's a behind the scenes struggle going on up there. I happen to think Benitez would be a better choice than Puel with our squad/owners. You may disagree. All about opinions.

Benitez is known to be a politician of a manager, everywhere he goes there is trouble behind the scenes.

He’s quality manager but those complaining about Puel’s style wouldn’t be happy under Rafa. I also doubt England’s starting left back would have gotten the run he needed under Rafa, nor am I confident that Maddison would fluish under him.

I’m not against replacing Puel, provided the new man is a better option, with what the owners seem to want Rafa wouldn’t be it

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Benitez wouldn't be my first choice. He'd be behind Eddie Howe, who I genuinely think wouldn't come to us, his next job is a bigger step up than us, and Brendan Rodgers, who probably would come to us to get back to the PL.

I don't think any of those names are particularly bad shouts but are any of them THAT much better than Puel really? Assuming we carry on under him as we are we'll finish somewhere between 9th and 12th. Best case scenario under the others we finish a place or two higher? Our squad isn't capable of any more. We're just not anything like in a bad enough situation to need a change for the sake of at best six or seven more points a season

2 hours ago, Gubbins said:

I don't think any of those names are particularly bad shouts but are any of them THAT much better than Puel really? Assuming we carry on under him as we are we'll finish somewhere between 9th and 12th. Best case scenario under the others we finish a place or two higher? Our squad isn't capable of any more. We're just not anything like in a bad enough situation to need a change for the sake of at best six or seven more points a season

I like Howe, decent young manager. But but christ Bournemouth have had a bigger net spend than us since we won the league and they have been every bit as inconsistent as we are... and he still hasn't sorted their defence out either. They regularly get mullered since they got up, they've conceded the same number as goals this season, conceded more last season whilst scoring a lot less. A lot of things chucked at Puel would be chucked at him as well... but I suppose he doens't mumble through interviews so that'd be all ok.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I like Howe, decent young manager. But but christ Bournemouth have had a bigger net spend than us since we won the league and they have been every bit as inconsistent as we are... and he still hasn't sorted their defence out either. They regularly get mullered since they got up, they've conceded the same number as goals this season, conceded more last season whilst scoring a lot less. A lot of things chucked at Puel would be chucked at him as well... but I suppose he doens't mumble through interviews so that'd be all ok.

Yeah quite. Howe would be eaten alive here I think because the thing is, if we were to sack Puel now while we're actually doing OK, that decision is being made on the basis that whoever replaces him WILL do better - not on the basis that we're in a bit of a hole, need someone to get us out of it and then build for the future (the context in which Puel was hired) with a focus on success in later years. The expectation would be immense on whoever comes in to actually deliver the things Outers say Puel can't/won't do, but within the same time frame. As a manager you'd have to have a ridiculously high confidence in your own ability to consider coming here under those circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ian S said:

We play Morgan because Puel signed 2 centre half for substantial money and clearly at this moment fancies neither, down to him.

We have a right back issue because Puel signed one for a lot of money but he can't be trusted to play there.Who is that down to.

We play 2 defensive central midfielders  because that is the side Puel selects despite other options.

Maybe we would be higher up the league if he addressed the problems you have listed.

16 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Excellent post. If you can see it and most fans can see it, it begs the question why can't Puel see it ?

That was the point in my post lol if we addressed my points  we would be higher up the league correct.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, les-tah said:

That was the point in my post lol if we addressed my points  we would be higher up the league correct.

Ricardo is a good signing even if he hasnt resoved the RB situation yet.

Are we 100% Puel chose the 2 CBs? And if one of these CBs comes good in the next few months is Puel then to get credit for that?

10 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Ricardo is a good signing even if he hasnt resoved the RB situation yet.

Are we 100% Puel chose the 2 CBs? And if one of these CBs comes good in the next few months is Puel then to get credit for that?

Very good question. Does anyone actually know if it's the manager who gets the players he wants or does he have to use what someone else has brought into the club? Any posters know the definite answer to that one?

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

The net spend argument is not quite as straight forward as it may seem. Kante, Drinkwater and Mahrez (none of which we wanted to sell but all wanted to leave) were each sold for £30-60m, whereas Bournemouth have not had or had to sell a player of that value. When we buy to replace these players it is not really possible for us to get in a £40-50m player as those players want to sign for one of the 'elite clubs'.

Therefore, we are shopping more or less in the same market as Bournemouth. They have mainly bought players at similar but slightly lesser prices than us but without having the big income from player sales that we have, hence the bigger net spend.

I would love to see Howe here as manager but don't think it will happen. When he does leave Bournemouth it is likely to be for either the England job or to one of the big boys.

2 hours ago, Bunyip said:

But of course! don't tell me you were taking any of this serious? :D :D

More than my marriage vows,

less than a lotto win..

more than a good steak dinner...

less than a Sunday roast ...

less than a decent Chin wag,or finger waggle with you..me ol' mucker..

More than proving..Guy fawkes was right,and Santa deserves a Roman candle up his ass,for getting me only socks n after shave,since I was

a teenager....:D

27 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Very good question. Does anyone actually know if it's the manager who gets the players he wants or does he have to use what someone else has brought into the club? Any posters know the definite answer to that one?

Unless it is Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger spending 10 plus years at club as the manager then there is no point in manager getting his own players in really. Why spend all that money for the next manager to come in 6 months time to decide he doesnt want them.

I think it should be a joint team effort with the scouts/coaches/recruitment team/manager all having a combined say.. which sounds like it kind of is at the moment.

Edited by les-tah

On 15/10/2018 at 20:10, Swan Lesta said:

So we are on 12 points and 4th & 5th are on 18 points.

You telling me that we haven’t totally thrown away a couple of games so far this season?

Top 6 win consistently their games, we don't and we won't. That's the difference between a top 6 team and the rest.

Top 6 have viable options on the bench that allow them to turn-over or in case of injury while still remaining very competitive, we don't.

Top 6 have a core of very good, if not world class, players who played together for more than one season, we don't.

For a team to really click it takes some time to acquire some automatisms, get used to each other and know each other. We've lost our best player, from the 2015/16 starting XI only Vardy, Kasper and Morgan are still there with the latter on his way out rather sooner than later. The rest is either gone or on the bench and neither of them is starting option anymore. Of all the players we signed since then only Maguire and Ndidi are starters. Mendy is new (injury), Maddison is new, Pereira is new. 

Take off the blue tinted specs and see this squad for what it is. A very young, promising team which is in building phase and right now in no way near of any of the top 6 team. Not in a million years. A lot of potential but nothing set in stone. So yeah we're going to lose or throw away some games this season, more often than so and no manager in the world is going to change that. 

Edited by That_Dude

18 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

The net spend argument is not quite as straight forward as it may seem. Kante, Drinkwater and Mahrez (none of which we wanted to sell but all wanted to leave) were each sold for £30-60m, whereas Bournemouth have not had or had to sell a player of that value. When we buy to replace these players it is not really possible for us to get in a £40-50m player as those players want to sign for one of the 'elite clubs'.

Therefore, we are shopping more or less in the same market as Bournemouth. They have mainly bought players at similar but slightly lesser prices than us but without having the big income from player sales that we have, hence the bigger net spend.

I would love to see Howe here as manager but don't think it will happen. When he does leave Bournemouth it is likely to be for either the England job or to one of the big boys.

So what you're saying is we've lost most of our best players with no chance of replacing them and are having to operate with losing top quality players each season, where as nobody really wants their players so they aren't operating under those conditions.

They've spent good money and been bankrolled through the divisions, they aren't really the great underdog story some people think they are.