Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

Leicester Riders

Their European adventure starts tomorrow evening. 

Playing Bakken Bears, the Danish champions tomorrow and the return in Denmark on Saturday. 

The club have said that if they fail in the Bball CL, they will take the invite to play in the below tier of competition. 

On paper, they have added some real big-hitters to get them at a standard for European basketball. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Even more sad that no British team will represent. It was good to see a couple of new names compete against Riders last season. 

It's mad that Basketball hasn't taken off here I think. 

I know people don't like the idea of a King Power monopoly on Leicester sports, but I do feel that the basketball could really prosper from Thai investment and realistically it wouldn't be that much in context to make a real difference.

If Riders carried on their development, managed to be a competitive European team, then it would put them at the forefront of any expansion or interest that the NBA could have in the future.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Riders women just won the WBBL cup. When done :appl::appl:

Now I don’t usually follow basketball but used to play a bit at college and have a coaching badge in it (completed years ago) but skimming through channels and noticed Leicester playing so watched it. Really enjoyed it. Once we’re free I think I might take the kids down to watch a couple of matches. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In a good weekend for Leicester sport, they were superb on Friday v Newcastle and then saw off their nearest rivals, moneybags London Lions yesterday. 

Top of the league with destiny in their own hands for the regular season. 

The quality of the league has vastly improved this year. The American imports have largely snubbed Europe this winter and elected to come over to the UK where there are less issues for them to deal with it. In their current shape both Riders and London Lions would give European competition a good tilt. 

GB also qualified for the European Championships a month ago - bit of an upset as they had to beat both Germany and Montenegro to make it. Then beat France in a dead rubber. All three of those played in the last FIBA World Cup. 

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Could have won the regular title last night. London Lions have fell to pieces since they were knocked out of Europe (which was incredible effort to get into the second stage of in effect the Conference League)

Going on Friday for the 90s night - bloody ironic given they were tragically bad in that period but got amazing crowds at Granby Halls 

• Like 1

On 02/04/2022 at 07:27, Cardiff_Fox said:

Could have won the regular title last night. London Lions have fell to pieces since they were knocked out of Europe (which was incredible effort to get into the second stage of in effect the Conference League)

Going on Friday for the 90s night - bloody ironic given they were tragically bad in that period but got amazing crowds at Granby Halls 

loved the late 80s early 90s down Granby Halls and our arch nemesis Steve Bontraego ( sp!?) .. Clyde the Glyde Vaughn.. Dan Maha with his  lay up jumping backwards dunk… Steve O’Shea with his glorious tash… happy days…

• Like 1