Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Benkovic January Recall?

Haha we literally turned down £25m for Gray, we won't be letting him go. 

I think we should let him have the season there. Let him win a league title, keep playing in Europe if they get through.

Does no good for him to be called back and sit on the bench. I'd say the same for Harvey Barnes too. 

• Like 3

We're best to just treat any rumours of a Benkovic permanent deal to Celtic as a non-starter. He's a player with clear potential that we've bought for the long-term plan, he's far more likely to fancy the EPL over the SPL and Celtic, very bluntly, cannot afford him. 

As for this season, same with Barnes, we've another hot prospect on our hands. Disrupting his exciting form to bring him back for what could be a more bit part role seems unnecessary. 

10 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

We're best to just treat any rumours of a Benkovic permanent deal to Celtic as a non-starter.

Indeed. The rumours exist in a context of fans/managers trying to talk things up for the purposes of generating support - 'feel good' talk if I can put it like that. It's certainly the kind of stuff that happens everywhere, it's not just Celtic and Rodgers.

Of course, I'm sure they'd love to sign Benkovic. They might even ask in a cheeky 'don't ask, don't get' kind of a way but they'll be well aware of the sort of numbers needed. It might 'only' be the SPL but they aren't stupid and there are, above all else, business men running the club. 

Put the 'feel good' talk to one side and look at it from a business perspective. They're two different things.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Heymister2015 said:

its all about selling Maguire for £70m in the summer and having Benkovic and Soyuncu together with Evans has back up 

Maguire is a very decent player that’s not in question, tbh I think he’s looked the complete package in an England shirt. 

However, for us he doesn’t consistently have those commanding sort of performances, is that down to the players around him, I’m not sure! 

What I do know though, is if we were offered 70 mil, or even 60 You’d have to take it. 

4 minutes ago, FoxNotFox said:

Indeed. The rumours exist in a context of fans/managers trying to talk things up for the purposes of generating support - 'feel good' talk if I can put it like that. It's certainly the kind of stuff that happens everywhere, it's not just Celtic and Rodgers.

Of course, I'm sure they'd love to sign Benkovic. They might even ask in a cheeky 'don't ask, don't get' kind of a way but they'll be well aware of the sort of numbers needed. It might 'only' be the SPL but they aren't stupid and there are, above all else, business men running the club. 

Put the 'feel good' talk to one side and look at it from a business perspective. They're two different things.

Agreed.

They do have some very savvy business men working up in the SPL. I've got strong family ties to Aberdeen FC so follow it quite closely and the way a lot of the clubs operate, often rimming the very edge of their financial capabilities and bringing in talent on bosmans, loans and nominal fees can be impressive. Unfortunately for them, like you say, when the pure financial muscle of the EPL, or even the Championship/lower leagues (Aberdeen lost Adam Rooney to Salford City this year) is pitched up against them for players with market values like Benkovic, there isn't anything they can really do. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Let me help with that (one page from the end at the time of posting, but there are 20 more pages of this)... http://www.talkceltic.net/forums/threads/filip-benković.148837/page-25

The post about them having to splash 6m on a replacement very amusing.

8 minutes ago, Xen said:

The 'aged championship player' is actually a league-winning, CL quarter-finalist CB who happens to be the club captain, and is still generally putting in performances worthy of this level.

The player from a side who got relegated? 12 months prior that would have described Harry Maguire. Evans is a highly experienced CB at this level (and above, whilst at Utd) who has been brought in to be the experienced head in the back line when Morgan steps back, and is a steady, reliable option.

When Benkovic came here he was still a bit of an unknown and throwing him into the PL so soon would have been a mistake. He's doing brilliantly out on loan, but if we recall him then he'll end up sharing minutes with 4 other players, and whilst he's impressed so far he's not likely to be the defining factor that catapults us up the table. There's no harm done to us by leaving him there, and he'll reap the benefits of regular, competitive football and come back in the summer a better player for it.

Quite agree. Söyüncü and Benkovic are the progression from Morgan and Evans and possibly even Maguire if he legs it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

So why the f*** ain't we playing him. Surely if he's that good, why are we persisting with an aged championship player and one from a side so poor, they got relegated.

Maguire was from a side that got relegated, too.

It's completely irrelevant. Good players can play for shitty teams.

Edited by UPinCarolina
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

He plays in a bum dosser league, Morgan would look like maldini north of the border 

Yeah. Let’s leave him up there and extend Morgan’s contract.

It must be desperately hard for Celtic fans to accept the painful reality that their MASSIVE CLUB is, in fact, rather pitifully small and powerless when compared to a mid-ranking Premier League outfit like ours.

The only way they will ever sign Benkovic on a permanent deal is if he fails to do the business for us in what of course is a considerably more demanding league.

• Like 1