Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Benkovic January Recall?

If we bring him back in Jan he'll be 5th choice defender. He's enjoying himself at Celtic, the experience is probably doing wonders for his development so even though Celtic are disrespectfully dreaming in public by making overtures to sign him, it would be best to let him stay until May.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wizerud said:

If we bring him back in Jan he'll be 5th choice defender. He's enjoying himself at Celtic, the experience is probably doing wonders for his development so even though Celtic are disrespectfully dreaming in public by making overtures to sign him, it would be best to let him stay until May.

Purely out of Interest why would he be 5th choice if he is showing better form that the other 4?   Do they have a devine right to be selected over him?

Edited by mozartfox

From what i have been reading/thinking in Puel's response when questioned on the subject, He does not want to recall any loan players in January and Celtic have not contacted or been contacted by Leicester in regards to Benko, so this whole thread is becoming rather void now dont you think.

Edited by Simoken

Sports lens story. 

Frank McAvennie says Celtic need to break the bank. lol If they spend £15m now Benkovic will be worth £25m.

Has he lost the fecking plot. They would not get him for £25m now. Great knowing he is so highly regarded but get a fecking grip. 

Frank you have a recent £9m transfer record for a reason I'll spell it out. You can't afford to play with the big boys W4nker. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sylofox said:

Sports lens story. 

Frank McAvennie says Celtic need to break the bank. lol If they spend £15m now Benkovic will be worth £25m.

Has he lost the fecking plot. They would not get him for £25m now. Great knowing he is so highly regarded but get a fecking grip. 

Frank you have a recent £9m transfer record for a reason I'll spell it out. You can't afford to play with the big boys W4nker. 

Celtic fans are all very passionate, delusional at times arnt they?  I am just siting back and enjoying this ride hearing all the hopes and dreams of buying him off us when in reality, LCFC just used them for him to get game time... to get ready for PL next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Simoken said:

Celtic fans are all very passionate, delusional at times arnt they?  I am just siting back and enjoying this ride hearing all the hopes and dreams of buying him off us when in reality, LCFC just used them for him to get game time... to get ready for PL next season.

I think they believe we are the same Club as when they nicked Neil Lennon from us.  Their Winter Transfer pot is 10M.  That would but them a one-legged Slimani in old money.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I think they believe we are the same Club as when they nicked Neil Lennon from us. 

I remember that day and when Martin O'Neil went Celtic too. I thought it was the end of the world. How times have changed...

6 minutes ago, Simoken said:

I think your missing my point. We paid £13m why would we sell him for £15m?

But Frank McAvennie ex pro thinks £15m would get him. Has he not seen the transfer prices down here lol lol

12 hours ago, Heymister2015 said:

its all about selling Maguire for £70m in the summer and having Benkovic and Soyuncu together with Evans has back up 

The ship has long sailed on Maguire being worth anywhere near £50-60m.

I honestly think we'd have to do some hard selling ourselves to get between £35-40m. That's still an obscene amount for a defender who has limitations.

Benkovic and Soyuncu were both signed as we were surprised to find both were available for the prices we got them for, both had been touted to go elsewhere for much more. We also had to plan for the potential loss of Maguire and the eventual departure of Morgan. Benkovic and Soyuncu are probably both more than ready for this level but we've too many seasoned first team players in their way. I see no reason to recall Benkovic in January, unless we move Morgan or Maguire on during the window.

I'm glad hes doing well there and we seem to have two great prospects, I just hope we use them right and dont piss them off whilst on some nostalgia trip for another year with Morgan.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sylofox said:

But Frank McAvennie ex pro thinks £15m would get him. Has he not seen the transfer prices down here lol lol

lol i didnt, i just felt like changing the context to something entertaining and to belittle them because im a c@nt. lol i know... from what im hearing his value has somewhat doubled.. im sure, what a turd (ex pro) is

1 minute ago, hackneyfox said:

Throwing him and Soyuncu in at the deep end next season could cause problems.

Yes, this undoubtedly needs to be managed.  Whatever the differing opinions on Maguire and Morgan are, I think we'd all agree that one or other (if not both) will not be starting for us next season. So we need to plan for the transition.

Hopefully, we'll see Soyuncu get more game time. I personally would leave Benkovic at Celtic; he's getting good game time, gaining confidence and finding his feet. And I say that even if Maguire goes in Jan (which I'm strangely ambivalent about) as I feel we have the cover there to see us through to the end of the season. Should Maguire go, I feel that Soyuncu is his natural replacement anyway. 

10 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Exactly.

The day that we signed Benkovic, giving him a long contract on much higher wages, that in itself instantly raised his value. Buying him out of that new contract on day 1 would have cost them closer to £20m.

Since then, he's gone out on loan and impressed beyond expectations, raising his value even further. On top of that, Celtic have shown their hand* early, and we know that they would love to keep him. So we have a much stronger position for negotiating a fee if we were to sell (we won't).

Any talk of Celtic buying him after the loan is completely pointless unless they're planning on stumping up an obscene amount of cash.

*FWIW, I imagine the Celtic board & BR are well aware they have no realistic chance of buying him, and all this 'talk' is fan-driven.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sylofox said:

In all fairness, he was probably wearing his Whiskey googles when he said this.

Celtic fans do give you a good google... "chuck £15m at them". Ooooooh so tempting lol

Whenever Rodgers talks about him he always has to state what a MASSIVE club Celtic are. Yes, maybe you would be if you weren't playing in a league no better than the blue square premier.

• Like 2