Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Maddison named in England squad

1 hour ago, ThaiFox said:

Much as I love to see Leicester City players representing England, and I'm really pleased for Maddison, Chilwell, Vardy, Maguire and Gray have all been recently selected, for me it just seems so easy to get an England cap these days. And this is a good example!

All you need it to play 3 to 6 matches well in the Premier League, and be English qualified, and you are an England International. Many really don't deserve to be picked, not because they don't have talent, but because they are just not ready, or do not have enough top league game time for International football.

And at such a young age, it can have a detrimental effect by going to their heads. They think they are Billy big bo**oks just because they are now international players, and are then only good enough for Barcelona. I hope that doesn't happen to our young players and they remain grounded.

But it says a lot to potential signings that you can, and will, be picked for International football if you come to Leicester City, and that must be a really good thing for the club's future, even more so being that Puel gives a lot of game time to young players.

I think you've hit the nail on the head in your last paragraph- we seem to be getting a lot of players selected, which is probably because we've created a reputation for developing English players good enough for international football within the England hierarchy. 

Ask fans of Watford, Wolves, Brighton, Bournemouth and Newcastle whether it's easy to get players selected- they're all currently bemoaning their players not getting the call up.

• Like 1

the way i see it.. we cant win a tournament with Dier and Henderson in centre mid. So might aswell bed the future in early.

I think young players will have to start demanding moves away from the big clubs now like Loftus Cheek.. as chelsea and Man city are ruining careers. Foden should be playing 38 full games for someone this year or even drop to the championship. There is a reason why France for example have been producing so many good players, its because they were getting game time at a young age and able to develop.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 2

The concept that its not hard to get called up..is like the "its only Huddersfield etc"

Bollocks!! 

To get called up you need to be one of the best 30 English players... its ALWAYS been that way... its no easier and no harder. The players all deserve it and the recognition that goes with it!

I still havent been called up and ive been trying for 50 years.

Just now, FIF said:

Shocked that Ben isn't even in the squad. Makes a mockery of the "Leicester" call ups at the king power last month.

Is he realistically ahead of Shaw and Rose though? I'm very much pro-Chilwell, and I don't think he's quite there yet. Won't be long though based on his season so far - if we've got him and Shaw fighting for England's LB position for the next 10 years, that's a pretty nice dilemma to have.

3 minutes ago, TeePee said:

Is he realistically ahead of Shaw and Rose though? I'm very much pro-Chilwell, and I don't think he's quite there yet. Won't be long though based on his season so far - if we've got him and Shaw fighting for England's LB position for the next 10 years, that's a pretty nice dilemma to have.

i think the point was it just proves the previous call up was basically a novelty callup because its in leicester.

Edited by les-tah

3 minutes ago, TeePee said:

Being a Leicester supporter I DO rate him higher than Shaw, no doubt. Being as it's just a nothing 2 games seems ideal to keep working the youngsters and not Rose - who must be tired from losing games in the CL.

1 minute ago, les-tah said:

i think the point was it just proves the previous call up was basically a novelty callup because its in leicester.

Yeah. What a joke. Cynical at best.

6 minutes ago, les-tah said:

No it wasn't, Gray's you could argue was but Chilwell is currently England's 3rd best left back and as the other 2 are both fit once again there's no room for a third one really. Had either Rose or Shaw been unavailable, he'd have been back in there.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, les-tah said:

He was called up because Shaw was injured, he's now not injured. Chilwell deserved the call up without question IMO, it could be argued he should be in over Shaw.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ozleicester said:

The concept that its not hard to get called up..is like the "its only Huddersfield etc"

Bollocks!! 

To get called up you need to be one of the best 30 English players... its ALWAYS been that way... its no easier and no harder. The players all deserve it and the recognition that goes with it!

I still havent been called up and ive been trying for 50 years.

4 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Don’t get the ‘it’s too easy to get a call up’  stuff. Other countries have no problem bedding in youth into the national team early. 

So, you think Danny Wellbeck, mostly playing in Arsenal's reserves deserves to be in the England team, or squad? Or Mason Mount and Jadon Sancho neither who have played a Premier League match?

Even Maddison has only played SEVEN Premier League matches, and most of those he hasn't even completed. He might have had a brilliant 7 matches, but other teams will work him out as the season progresses, and I would have liked him to have played a lot more top level matches to show he can develop when teams do work him out. At least Chilwell has played around 50 PL matches, and shown he has a lot of improvement as well as potential, and so deserved his call up.

But to me, it really looks like if you are qualified to play for England, and you put in half a dozen decent match performances, in whatever league, against whatever teams, you get selected. I agree with a previous poster that you should have at least played around a season in a top league, and shown some consistency.

I agree bedding young players in early is good. If a player is 20 and has the class and potential, by all means call them up, but only after they have shown consistency, and had some real top league experience.

But I stand by the fact it is seems so easy getting an England call up nowadays, but perhaps that is because there is such a small pool of decent players, or others just haven't developed enough to hold down a regular place. (sorry Oz, I really think you're just a little old, unless Mike Bassett gets the job, then you could warm up with Benson & Hedges!)

10 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

So, you think Danny Wellbeck, mostly playing in Arsenal's reserves deserves to be in the England team, or squad? Or Mason Mount and Jadon Sancho neither who have played a Premier League match?

Even Maddison has only played SEVEN Premier League matches, and most of those he hasn't even completed. He might have had a brilliant 7 matches, but other teams will work him out as the season progresses, and I would have liked him to have played a lot more top level matches to show he can develop when teams do work him out. At least Chilwell has played around 50 PL matches, and shown he has a lot of improvement as well as potential, and so deserved his call up.

But to me, it really looks like if you are qualified to play for England, and you put in half a dozen decent match performances, in whatever league, against whatever teams, you get selected. I agree with a previous poster that you should have at least played around a season in a top league, and shown some consistency.

I agree bedding young players in early is good. If a player is 20 and has the class and potential, by all means call them up, but only after they have shown consistency, and had some real top league experience.

But I stand by the fact it is seems so easy getting an England call up nowadays, but perhaps that is because there is such a small pool of decent players, or others just haven't developed enough to hold down a regular place. (sorry Oz, I really think you're just a little old, unless Mike Bassett gets the job, then you could warm up with Benson & Hedges!)

Sancho hs been playing in the bundesliga though... playing 5 of 6 games. So what if he hasn’t played in the premier league he’s featuring for the side currently topping German football. You should be rewarded for playing well, you’d moan we were picking out of form players or the usual dross if there were no changes. 

Bedding in youth early is what all the ‘better’ nations do anyway. They’re there because they are currently playing well. In fact if he wasn’t calling them up and making it ‘too easy’ he’d be calling up players inferior and out of form such as Danny welbecks inclusion. 

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Sancho hs been playing in the bundesliga though... playing 5 of 6 games. So what if he hasn’t played in the premier league he’s featuring for the side currently topping German football. You should be rewarded for playing well, you’d moan we were picking out of form players or the usual dross if there were no changes. 

Bedding in youth early is what all the ‘better’ nations do anyway. They’re there because they are currently playing well. In fact if he wasn’t calling them up and making it ‘too easy’ he’d be calling up players inferior and out of form such as Danny welbecks inclusion. 

Sancho has played just a handful of games....It's just nowhere near enough in my opinion for an England call up.

Look how many here were going crazy over Diabate after his first 4-6 games. Which is my whole point, Diabate faded quickly, and is now nowhere near ready for our first team currently. A few good games, great. But it needs more than a few good games!! Players get worked out in the top divisions and they need time to develop and show they have the consistency as well as the skill and potential.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Sancho has played just a handful of games....It's just nowhere near enough in my opinion for an England call up.

Look how many here were going crazy over Diabate after his first 4-6 games. Which is my whole point, Diabate faded quickly, and is now nowhere near ready for our first team currently. A few good games, great. But it needs more than a few good games!! Players get worked out in the top divisions and they need time to develop and show they have the consistency as well as the skill and potential.

It never stops the more successful teams beddinng in younger talent early. If they’re playing well or better than anyone else in their position why shouldn’t they be playing? 

Also sancho made 17 appearances last season for Dortmund. Has played in 5 out of 6 league games this season that’s more than a handful. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

Maddison had to be included - he's been superb and will get better and better. Not so sure about Sancho and Mount though. They both need  more games before being regarded as England senior players. Indeed if Mount is to be considered based on his performances in the championship, then Our Harvey should be nailed on in the squad - he's been ripping up that division and is head and shoulders that leagues' top player (so far!).

5 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

It never stops the more successful teams beddinng in younger talent early. If they’re playing well or better than anyone else in their position why shouldn’t they be playing? 

Bed them in as early as you want, but only after they have played enough games to show their initial potential is fulfilled. I refer back to Diabate. 

Check out the recent French world cup winning squad. All their younger players have played a lot of matches for top league sides. Even Mbappe, who is 19 has played 72 first team matches, Lemar (22) nearly 130 first team matches. Check them all out, they have gained experience and have shown their potential though playing consistently well.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_national_football_team#Current_squad

8 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Bed them in as early as you want, but only after they have played enough games to show their initial potential is fulfilled. I refer back to Diabate. 

Check out the recent French world cup winning squad. All their younger players have played a lot of matches for top league sides. Even Mbappe, who is 19 has played 72 first team matches, Lemar (22) nearly 130 first team matches. Check them all out, they have gained experience and have shown their potential though playing consistently well.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_national_football_team#Current_squad

Diabate is hardly an equal example is he. He played well in a win against a league one side and every game after that showed flashes of potential but clearly wasn’t up to speed. 

Maddison on the other hand for example has scored 3 and assisted 2 so far? Is clearly better at this level and deserves a call up. Who would ou have instead? 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

51 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

What do you suggest then? There’s simply not enough depth of English players playing 50-100 PL games at an early age. We either pick experienced players that probably won’t improve or we take a chance on these younger players. Sanchoo is playing Bundesliga and CL football, it’s every bit as good as the Premier League. People moan that it’s too easy to get an England cap these days but then also call for new faces and younger players. 

24 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Maddison had to be included - he's been superb and will get better and better. Not so sure about Sancho and Mount though. They both need  more games before being regarded as England senior players. Indeed if Mount is to be considered based on his performances in the championship, then Our Harvey should be nailed on in the squad - he's been ripping up that division and is head and shoulders that leagues' top player (so far!).

Hasn’t Mount scored more goals in less games than Barnes? Both are very good and Mount is without doubt going to break through in the PL next season. 

I think people are overreacting to the Mason Mount call up, I suspect it's more about letting him get used to the first team squad and bed him in socially; Harvey may have his turn next time around if he keeps this form up.

Maddison on the other hand I hope will have a good performance as he's definitely something this current team needs.

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hasn’t Mount scored more goals in less games than Barnes? Both are very good and Mount is without doubt going to break through in the PL next season. 

Not at Chelsea he won't, needs to leave along with Foden as they'll end up going stale like Chalobah and Loftus-Cheek.

• Like 2