Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RODNEY FERNIO

Is Messi the best ever ?

Having watched his outstanding performance in mid week now think he's the best player I've ever seen.

Not old enough to remember Puskas, Pele and Di Stefano who sound like amazing players.

But easily comes top in the best ten players I've ever seen which include Maradona, the two Ronaldos,

Cruyff, Platini, Dalglish , Zidane , Baresi and Beckenbauer.

14 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Agree Messi is the best ever though Cristiano comes close.

Would like to add to the list

George Best

Frank Worthington

Marco Van Basten

Paul Gascoigne

N'Golo Kante

Gazza ??? Can think of half a dozen Brazilians I've seen not even on the above list that were better than him

… Romario, Zico, Neymar, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo … all better than Gazza.

Kante and Frankie Wortho ….. of course. 

How did you compare a midfielder to a goalkeeper - or even to a defender or attacker or even a defensive midfielder.

Always think these types of thread are rather starnge.

4 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I don’t think CR7 can be classed as anything close to being the greatest as he’s simply dishonest and unsporting as a professional.

Messi is closer to the whole package for me.

Wouldn't class Messi as better than him, in this aspect.

Didn't he get a years' suspended sentence for tax evasion not too long ago?

1 minute ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Wouldn't class Messi as better than him, in this aspect.

Didn't he get a years' suspended sentence for tax evasion not too long ago?

I’m talking about on the pitch not how his father dealt without his finances!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Having watched his outstanding performance in mid week now think he's the best player I've ever seen.

Not old enough to remember Puskas, Pele and Di Stefano who sound like amazing players.

But easily comes top in the best ten players I've ever seen which include Maradona, the two Ronaldos,

Cruyff, Platini, Dalglish , Zidane , Baresi and Beckenbauer.

Lads, it's Tottenham!

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Haha 1

It's difficult to compare players of different eras and in different positions. Messi has probably the best close control I've ever seen but Zidane dominated big games more than any player at least of my era. And although Argentina did have some very good players in the late 80s, Maradona dragged them to two consecutive World Cup finals at times almost single-handedly and did the same with Napoli and their two Serie A titles. When you consider what defences in those days could and did get away with, his achievements are even more remarkable.  

Edited by bovril
  • Like 2

Difficult to compare with the legends of old- it's a totally different sport to what it was 50 years ago.

Would he have been as effective on bobbly pitches with a heavy ball and thuggish defenders allowed to kick lumps out of him? How good could the players who achieved greatness in those conditions be in the modern era which protects skilful players? 

He's certainly up there with the likes of Pele, Maradonna and Puskas though. A world cup win might have settled it in his favour.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Koke said:

Best ever.

Definitely better than Maradona. The people who disagree are usually the ones born pre-1980. 

Not that surprising. Probably because they'd have seen more of Maradona to judge? 

As has been said, it's a pretty impossible debate, the game changes so much era to era - pitches, clobber, even the rules are different. Almost does disservice to them to claim one has to be better than another.

Whilst they're comfortably the best in my lifetime and both absolutely wonderful footballers, neither Messi nor Cristiano Ronaldo are the players I've most enjoyed, or had the most "fun" watching in that period, strangely. Ronaldinho, Henry, Ronaldo or Zidane at their peaks had that for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Koke said:

Best ever.

Definitely better than Maradona. The people who disagree are usually the ones born pre-1980. 

You mean people old enough to have seen both players & to be able to make a comparison?

I'm old enough to have seen Maradona, but not old enough to have seen Pele or George Best.  Maradona is the best I've ever seen, but was he better than Pele?  I wouldn't have a clue

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

You mean people old enough to have seen both players & to be able to make a comparison?

I'm old enough to have seen Maradona, but not old enough to have seen Pele or George Best.  Maradona is the best I've ever seen, but was he better than Pele?  I wouldn't have a clue

Ever heard of video?

• Haha 1

I still maintain Zidane is the best attacking player in my lifetime. 

But there can't be one "best ever". You cant compare Messi to Beckenbuar or Zidane to Banks.

Imagine the likes of Cruyff and Maradona on these pitches nowadays tough. 

• Like 1

One thing I’ve always wondered about people who still consider Pele and Maradona the goats, how much was actually possible to watch back then? Just World Cup? Can’t imagine many Santos games being shown. Not like today where we can watch every single game Messi plays in, or anyone else for that matter. 

This isn’t me saying those two aren’t the best ever btw, just genuinely curious. 

Edited by lildave3
  • Like 1