Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

What do you do with a problem like Wes Morgan?

I believe he offers something as a club captain and will do for a season more.

He embodies our past glory and is a remarkable presence around the club. In the match day squad I imagine he would be a great character and mentor to some of the youngsters to have around the dressing room pre game and half time.

He would, on occasion be a useful addition to help us see a game out and calm things down (that’s if he doesn’t get sent off!!) 

He hasn’t quite got the positional nouse to counter the age in his legs anymore and sadly will get more and more brutally exposed but it doesn’t mean we should all put bin him.

A peen starter he isn’t anymore. Hopefully Puel is confident that he has passed the baton onto Maguire enough to bring in Evans, Soyuncu (once he masters English and chills the f**k out a bit) and Benkovic over the season before he is omitted altogether.

In my eyes he has been an amazing servant with still a lot to offer but the gradual transition of continuity has to start now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

I don't think Claude has the balls to replace him.

He'll be back in the starting XI as soon as his ban is over, 100%.

Interesting theory.  If true, then Puel is slitting his own wrists.

Today's sending off marked the end of 20 minutes of City domination and invited Everton to push on for the winner. He was even given the benefit of the doubt for a foul close to the halfway line before doing it again and receiving the second yellow. His second yellow at Bournemouth was for a foul near the halfway line. A player with his experience should not be compromising the team with reckless fouls in non-dangerous positions. He's a liability.

• Like 3

It’s been clear for a while now that his time at the top level is coming to an end. He’s been booked twice because he’s tried to go head to head with Richarlison and struggled throughout. 

Imagine what it’ll be like against the world class players in the league? (Richarlison isn’t, but caused Wes no end of trouble). 

4 minutes ago, Langston said:

Heat of the moment after the game I'm sure but calling him a **** is a bit much, no?

You're right, and don't think I don't remember what he's achieved here. The name call is unreasonable on my part, but I maintain the end needs to be now. One good performance against Joeslu is not justification to bring him back from here. We need to look forward.

• Like 1

I've never criticised him but for a player to be sent off twice in eight games he's got to be somesort of liability. That said, he should have been brought off because he struggled with Richardlson all game.

I don't understand why he insists on getting so tight to his man right on the halfway line. Whether that's his decision or Puel's instruction it's ****ing stupid. He's nowhere near mobile enough to get away with it and the amount of times Richarlison spun him was embarrassing.

I've been a staunch defender of his and think he's come in for some unwarranted criticism but his sending off killed the game for us when we were well in the ascendancy. 2 reds already this season is unacceptable from someone whose responsibility it is to lead the team and set an example. Evans has got yet another chance to secure himself a place and I really hope he takes it.

56 minutes ago, Arkie Bennett said:

Today's sending off marked the end of 20 minutes of City domination and invited Everton to push on for the winner. He was even given the benefit of the doubt for a foul close to the halfway line before doing it again and receiving the second yellow. His second yellow at Bournemouth was for a foul near the halfway line. A player with his experience should not be compromising the team with reckless fouls in non-dangerous positions. He's a liability.

Absolutely agree. It was seriously senseless play from someone so experienced. 

Unfortunately he's like the previously great boxer that thinks he's still got one more go in him and gets smashed to pieces. He should relinquish the captaincy. Club don't want to take it off him neither does Puel and dropping the captain is a tough call. The most captain thing he could do is give up the captaincy and say he's stepping down to give someone younger a chance. It's time.

Assuming that he’s not trying to get sent off, one would surmise that his declining skill set and athleticism are only going to continue to negatively impact his game. As such, the “gap” widens between he and the young guns running rings around him and so persisting with him in this team will lead to much of the same. You cannot question his heart, but must question his ability at this level. Time to roll the dice and move on. And for the love of all that is holy, it’s time for a back three and two wing backs (all of which we currently have). 

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Captain fantastic, City legend... Liability?

If he's lost that spark what can we do to replace him? Current options are an Evans who hasn't seemed to click with Maguire yet and 2 fairly big money signings which were always going to be future prospects, one struggling to even get in the squad, the other on loan in Scotland (how's he been doing btw?)... So what exactly do we do to remedy the scenario? And how do we resolve the significant factor of the captain's armband if we do drop him? It's a tricky one.

Has been out for a few weeks with a minor injury, previous to that the Celtic fans were absolutely loving him and hoping we didnt call him back :P.. EVER

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

He needs to be the one to recognise that he's costing the club points at the moment. Swallow your pride Wes and bow out with grace before you ruin people's memories of you. 

No the bloke being paid a fortune to manage the team is the one who needs to recognise it 

if he can’t its going to keep costing us. He looks a complete shambles in one on ones and does everything he can to back off from them. Creating pressure for the rest of the team

and if he ever becomes a coach I’m done