Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

What do you do with a problem like Wes Morgan?

He’s making a few mistakes of late, due to  being over physical, trying to make up for his waning pace (he did actually have a bit of this) in his old age. He should be only on the bench, and playing in cup games. He can remain club captain, but Kasper is more than adequate as an on pitch captain 

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue

Always defended the big man but he's being exposed by lack of pace and so is committing fouls to compensate. The blame for the sending off today lies with puel everyone in the ground could see what was going to happen after the first booking and he should have got the hook.why puel didn't pull him is as baffling as it is worrying. Legend he will always be but time catches up with everyone. 

2 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Always defended the big man but he's being exposed by lack of pace and so is committing fouls to compensate. The blame for the sending off today lies with puel everyone in the ground could see what was going to happen after the first booking and he should have got the hook.why puel didn't pull him is as baffling as it is worrying. Legend he will always be but time catches up with everyone. 

This is a wider issue. Puel either can’t see when changes need to be made, or he’s too stubborn to change from his rigid principles.

Sometimes it’s easy to say after the event, but this was glaringly obvious. 

Davies on a yellow got pulled for them before things got evened up. It was naive beyond belief when a second yellow for Wes imminent.

27 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

No the bloke being paid a fortune to manage the team is the one who needs to recognise it 

if he can’t its going to keep costing us. He looks a complete shambles in one on ones and does everything he can to back off from them. Creating pressure for the rest of the team

and if he ever becomes a coach I’m done

Wes is clearly the kingpin of the remaining element of player power. He needs to hold his hands up for the good of the club and take that pressure of Puel.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

It’s strange because Puel has been brave enough with everyone else in the squad but not Morgan. Surely Morgan doesn’t have that much power in the dressing room? 

He doesn't, it's a myth created on FT, it's just that his replacements haven't been great either

Edited by MrsJohnMurphy
wrong wording
  • Like 3

Guest Markyblue
3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I don't believe for a second Puel is scared to drop Wes. Puel must think that Wes is the best player he has for that position and for all I know he might be right.

My problem webbo is why didn't puel take him off when booked the resulting second yellow was always going to happen. 

Just now, Markyblue said:

My problem webbo is why didn't puel take him off when booked the resulting second yellow was always going to happen. 

I said the same in the post match thread.

There seems to be a bit of an urban myth on here about Wes insisting he plays every week and Puel is powerless to resist, I just don't believe it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I don't believe for a second Puel is scared to drop Wes. Puel must think that Wes is the best player he has for that position and for all I know he might be right.

Which is absolutely frightening considering the money spent on 3 direct replacements this summer. 

1 minute ago, Markyblue said:

But Amartey got a yellow and same could be said about him. You can’t just sub off players when they get a yellow.  

Especially seasoned captains who have been playing long enough to know when not to make dumbass moves. 

Its not like its the 1st time this season either, you would like to think he learnt from that and clearly he didn’t 

• Like 2

Yes, he's become a liability  - by trying too hard to make up for his lack of pace. He's trying to lead by getting stuck in and being too clumsily physical. He can't do it. He ought grow old gracefully and, if possible, start reading the game a bit better.

I'm not doubting his commitment one iota. In fact, quite the opposite. I think it needs dialling in and/or channeling. But to be brutally honest, I just don't think he's up to it. 

Guest Markyblue
3 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

But Amartey got a yellow and same could be said about him. You can’t just sub off players when they get a yellow.  

Especially seasoned captains who have been playing long enough to know when not to make dumbass moves. 

Its not like its the 1st time this season either, you would like to think he learnt from that and clearly he didn’t 

I agree with the point that you can't sub everyone with a yellow card, but this was different Everton were clearly trying to draw wes into a second yellow and he could have gone earlier, a different proposition to say vardy being on a yellow. 

2 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

I agree with the point that you can't sub everyone with a yellow card, but this was different Everton were clearly trying to draw wes into a second yellow and he could have gone earlier, a different proposition to say vardy being on a yellow. 

Perhaps you are right. Although it’s easy to say in hindsight. Imagine if he was subbed off and Evans messed up and Everton scored. Would we have said Morgan should have stayed? 

29 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Well this is exactly it for me as well.

Ive long said Wes is no longer good enough to play in a team who want to qualify for Europe.....absolutely fine if you looking to survive still but I’d like to think we are aiming higher:

Problem we might not have a better player, Evans has struggled so far, lad who’s name I can’t be bothered to look up the spelling of not the answer solely based on the fact we’ve never seen him play.

As club captain it is your responsibility to lead by example. Wes has failed this season. Being sent off in 2 games when you're 8 games into a season is inexcusable (and Wes only played in 6 of those!). It just reiterates the fact he is no longer good enough for the level we aspire to.

I respect his performances over the years but the time for change has come. Puel has been given a second opportunity to finally drop him. He cannot keep trusting him as he is costing us valuable points (fair to say he is not the only blame but a big one currently).

However, the problem is that only Evans can currently replace him and he hasn't impressed enough. I hope he does in the next 2 games cause I thought he did well against Huddersfield and Wolves. Soyuncu again is not had any chance to settle in. So unfortunately, those are some reasons why Morgan has played.

Thanks Wes, but I hope this was the last regular start

Edited by KrefelderFox666
  • Like 1

Really sorry to say but the chap has made far too many mistakes out of position can’t track back can’t keep up with pacy forwards goes in for tackles at times with a headless chicken syndrome !!

The guy has been a great servant to the club and it’s a shame that Puel keeps faith in the guy when he’s not on the pace and makes far too many mistakes we need to either get him training the youngsters or sell him on in January to a championship club!

lile I said he’s been superb for the club so please don’t make him a liability anymore CP !!

• Like 1

The solution is very simple yet we seem to be bizarrely ignorant of it. He is still very much first choice despite frequent poor performances and the fact we spent £35mil on three centre halves this summer.

Morgan isn't suited to playing the style of football Puel wants, which makes it all the more baffling that he continues to pick him.

I find myself repeating myself constantly on this but it's an issue that just will not go away.

I don't like laying into Morgan as he's completely exceeded my expectations of him from when we signed him but this situation isn't doing him, Puel or the team any favours, and it's utterly infuriating.

Use him sparingly now and roll the dice.

The problem for me is that I think he'll be back in for West Ham, but we'll end up having this discussion again by November.

Puel being blamed for Morgan getting sent off today I’ve heard it all now lol

Always backed the big man but lately he’s been so ponderous, slow and inadequate. Got praise for his performance at Newcastle but personally think he was poor and could’ve been caught out several times. Can’t be starting for us anymore, 2 reds in 6 games is becoming a form of liability.

Guest seanfox778
1 hour ago, Webbo said:

I said the same in the post match thread.

There seems to be a bit of an urban myth on here about Wes insisting he plays every week and Puel is powerless to resist, I just don't believe it.

It’s so odd. There’s no way Wes can just be demanding to be played each week and getting his way, so the others must not be doing it in training or something. We’ll never know but the CB pairing really needs to be sorted out as something is not right.