Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

What do you do with a problem like Wes Morgan?

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...so once again you are blaming Wes!!!

It is quite clear where the problem to this conundrum lies and it is not at the feet of Wes. Something is seriously wrong when the most obvious answer is in front of you yet you choose the avenue of the least resistance.

Just to be clear, Wes is struggling to keep his place within the team and there is a call to be made by the manager. He won't make that call, why!

He needs to step up and lead, make the tough decisions and that is something that we do not see from Puel.

Have you noticed how much he embodies Arsene Wenger and like Arsene he does not like to manage strong characters. Arsene inherited a back 4 that you would want standing behind you in a dark alleyway in the bronx. It was noticeable that their problems started with the decline of their back 4. Wenger never replaced them with like minded players.

Puel can't deal with strong characters that's why he goes for youth.

Oohhh conspiracies..

Puel..now not man enough...:crylaugh:

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...so once again you are blaming Wes!!!

It is quite clear where the problem to this conundrum lies and it is not at the feet of Wes. Something is seriously wrong when the most obvious answer is in front of you yet you choose the avenue of the least resistance.

Just to be clear, Wes is struggling to keep his place within the team and there is a call to be made by the manager. He won't make that call, why!

He needs to step up and lead, make the tough decisions and that is something that we do not see from Puel.

Have you noticed how much he embodies Arsene Wenger and like Arsene he does not like to manage strong characters. Arsene inherited a back 4 that you would want standing behind you in a dark alleyway in the bronx. It was noticeable that their problems started with the decline of their back 4. Wenger never replaced them with like minded players.

Puel can't deal with strong characters that's why he goes for youth.

I think you may need to read my post again,      

9 hours ago, vanity said:

Are you at all concerned that it isn't rust with Evans? That he simply doesn't have the ability (drive?) to excel as a starter at this level anymore? 

I ask bc *surely* he was signed to start, to replace Wes as we wait for younger talent to mature, yet Wes continues to be first team. I worry that Puel is simply playing our best two CBs each week, that Wes is playing better than Evans in practice, and that Evans' shocking play in the 1H against Wolves is simply how he will look against teams with speed. Admittedly he looked ok against Huddersfield, but they cannot score and utilize a slower target man besides, Morgan likely would've been fine against them as well.

Agree re Dragovic, I never understood why he wasn't valued more, he proved he was Prem-quality, we saw a number of consecutive clean sheets with him in the lineup, plus he is excellent with longer passes, which would've helped us to mitigate the trouble our DMs have on the ball, he has the passing skill to initiate the quick counters we've had so much success with over the years (including this season). So unfortunate we passed on keeping him.

The likes of arsenal are putting over 20 mill bid for him. Surely they aren't blind. I'm sure its just matter of fitness level for now

I hope he start againts tottenham u23, arsenal game, then cup, so he could oust morgan

He's not fast player. But neither are maguire. With amartey as cover I think at least we could have more stability in defence until soyuncu adapt

Or maybe buy drago? It's seems unlikely but sounds reasonable 

5 hours ago, Hanan96 said:

What's that source? 

As if he’d divulge that information, no “ITK” (not even sure he claims to be “ITK”) would and I wouldn’t expect them to.

Whether you believe the rumour or not it makes sense doesn’t it?

Why would Dragovic sign when he was treated like he was? He’d of quite rightly been pissed off.

Rightly or wrongly it’s an easy conclusion to come up with, besides why didn’t we sign him/try to sign him (perhaps we did...) - whether we did or didn’t we ultimately failed to/didn’t sign him.

As I said yesterday he might not have been perfect, maybe not the answer but we knew what he could offer us, there was no excuses about language and he’d have slotted straight in, therefore a damn sight better option than what we currently have.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

The problem was he was unhappy about being 'dropped' (despite performing well) when Wes was fit again.   Wasting another season of a short career before playing regularly was probably not something he fancied.  Puel did not help matters stating his Captain must play.   This is all old ground and hopefully, in Soyuncu and Benkovic we will be sorted.

For all the people saying it was a bad game and he's not past it, ask yourself how you feel when you see 'Morgan' in the starting line-up before a game?

My heart sinks instantly as I know our defence can be got at. On that basis, I'd like to see him leave the club in January. He's not the sort of guy that can be bit-part for us given his history at LCFC.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

As if he’d divulge that information, no “ITK” (not even sure he claims to be “ITK”) would and I wouldn’t expect them to.

Whether you believe the rumour or not it makes sense doesn’t it?

Why would Dragovic sign when he was treated like he was? He’d of quite rightly been pissed off.

Rightly or wrongly it’s an easy conclusion to come up with, besides why didn’t we sign him/try to sign him (perhaps we did...) - whether we did or didn’t we ultimately failed to/didn’t sign him.

As I said yesterday he might not have been perfect, maybe not the answer but we knew what he could offer us, there was no excuses about language and he’d have slotted straight in, therefore a damn sight better option than what we currently have.

Yeah. He'd better than now. At least he didn't have evans fitness problem even he rarely play neither soyuncu adaptation problem beside he's never play in epl before. 

Puel are open to talk about the players. He talk about amartey, chilwell, etc. Somehow he didnt talk nor questioned about drago. 

This is strange case

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

sorry - I though we had option to buy dragovic last summer - and he would have had to sign? If so ... why didn't we exercise it?

what's his current status?

As Wikipedia said hes yet to play in leverkusen

He either starts making rash decisions and challenges or he just positions himself away from any type of one on one and therefore leaves big spaces to exploit

we can’t afford either of those scenarios and Puel needs to bite the bullet and back Evans or Soyuncu to establish themselves over he next few games and not bring Morgan back in 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

His source are loads of bitter players who are annoyed they don't play, just like there are at every single club up and down the land. What some people like to do, is frame that like it's a problem with our manager and not just something that happens in general.

Very true!

However, what is important is how such players are managed. Guardiola seems to inspire them to fight harder to get into the team. Pearson used to bin em and oust em... :D

It will be interesting to see how Puel manages this side of our current squad cos it’s now gotten quite big and there will be some unhappy characters having been dropped.

It’s just a part of man management but a very important one.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Very true!

However, what is important is how such players are managed. Guardiola seems to inspire them to fight harder to get into the team. Pearson used to bin em and oust em... :D

It will be interesting to see how Puel manages this side of our current squad cos it’s now gotten quite big and there will be some unhappy characters having been dropped.

It’s just a part of man management but a very important one.

He's made it clear they have no future, so it's up to the club or the player to find themselves somewhere else. Puel doesn't want the likes of King kicking around doing nothing. But he can't force them out of the door personally. We have a few contracts up in the summer, so the squad will thin itself naturally anyway.

Just disappointing that we panic bought more average players like Mahrez Mk2.

56 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He's made it clear they have no future, so it's up to the club or the player to find themselves somewhere else. Puel doesn't want the likes of King kicking around doing nothing. But he can't force them out of the door personally. We have a few contracts up in the summer, so the squad will thin itself naturally anyway.

Just disappointing that we panic bought more average players like Mahrez Mk2.

When we give a player a contract then we should foresee that we may not need them at some point.... if there is no option then we will just homour it.  King can stay if that's what he wants.  A better solution would be for club to partially pay it out so he can move on and play for less wages.

Re dragovic... i thought we had an option to sign this summer... any one know if this is true? If so why didnt we?  

Yet we now have 5 cbs and one centre forward.... how come?

Come home barnes. ...

4 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

When we give a player a contract then we should foresee that we may not need them at some point.... if there is no option then we will just homour it.  King can stay if that's what he wants.  A better solution would be for club to partially pay it out so he can move on and play for less wages.

Re dragovic... i thought we had an option to sign this summer... any one know if this is true? If so why didnt we?  

Yet we now have 5 cbs and one centre forward.... how come?

Come home barnes. ...

Because we didn't want him for whatever reason. Wes and Benny will be gone in the summer as they are both out of contract, so we'll be back to four CB's. I have no issue with us playing the long game with CB's, if we think they are worth jumping on early to stop others getting them and then letting them bed in or progress elsewhere, ready for hitting the ground running next season.

Strikers I'd rather have more, I'm sure once Shinji goes in the summer then we'll go for another attacking player.

4 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

sorry - I though we had option to buy dragovic last summer - and he would have had to sign? If so ... why didn't we exercise it?

what's his current status?

You can't force somebody to accept a contract to work for somebody. I mean you can, but not legally.

Not sure if anyone else has posted this but quite an interesting article on Wes Morgan and previous defenders who've been in a simlar situation.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/leicester/two-red-cards-in-short-succession-a-telling-symptom-of-a-defenders-final-season

To me he's an absolute legend and always will be but interesting to see how this has happened to previous defenders. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2018 at 11:15, Babylon said:

His source are loads of bitter players who are annoyed they don't play, just like there are at every single club up and down the land. What some people like to do, is frame that like it's a problem with our manager and not just something that happens in general.

Some posters worked out in a previous thread that his source is ever-positive Jak.

On 06/10/2018 at 17:04, Tuna said:

I don't think Claude has the balls to replace him.

He'll be back in the starting XI as soon as his ban is over, 100%.

Exactly. Its really poor management, and was an issue last season which people have seemed to be happy to put up with.

Im not surprised how Puel has acted; he kept picking Wes over a player in Dragovic who actually proved in games he was better and more suited to his own tactics ffs.  

• Like 3