Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Soup

Covers

On 29/11/2018 at 21:53, Mark_w said:

I've always felt that this is just absolutely pointless, not even in the same ballpark as the original.

Well since Dylan had gone electric shortly before the recording of this track it's by no means a stretch to suggest that it may have sounded somewhat similar had it have been designated for side two of "Bringing it All Back Home" instead of the acoustic side. He did indeed consider the possibility, which is perhaps why he was always highly complimentary of the version by the Byrds. It also helped to marry the notion of intelligent lyrics and folk pedigree with emergent jangly commercial pop which Dylan not only entertained but also approved of. 

I appreciate your opinion, but the point of a cover version is to be different to the original. Just out of curiosity, do you also regard Hendrix's rendition of "All Along The Watchtower" as similarly pointless?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Well since Dylan had gone electric shortly before the recording of this track it's by no means a stretch to suggest that it may have sounded somewhat similar had it have been designated for side two of "Bringing it All Back Home" instead of the acoustic side. He did indeed consider the possibility, which is perhaps why he was always highly complimentary of the version by the Byrds. It also helped to marry the notion of intelligent lyrics and folk pedigree with emergent jangly commercial pop which Dylan not only entertained but also approved of. 

I appreciate your opinion, but the point of a cover version is to be different to the original. Just out of curiosity, do you also regard Hendrix's rendition of "All Along The Watchtower" as similarly pointless?

No, Hendrix's version of Watchtower is much better than the original. I appreciate that it's about doing something different, I just don't think there's anything enjoyable about that version of Mr. Tambourine Man, maybe that's just because I really like the original.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

No, Hendrix's version of Watchtower is much better than the original. I appreciate that it's about doing something different, I just don't think there's anything enjoyable about that version of Mr. Tambourine Man, maybe that's just because I really like the original.

Always liked the Hendrix version as a kid but have grown to love the Dylan one equally. As for the Byrds, I just never liked their sound. I've liked lots of things Dave Crosby has been involved in since, just not The Byrds.

For me, one of the greatest covers of all time is Nirvana's cover of "the man who sold the world" from the MTV unplugged show. Gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. Probably helps I have like a personal connection to it as well, this and David Bowie's "Hero's" (though I know is no a cover) are top of my list for favorite tracks ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fregObNcHC8

• Like 1

On 02/12/2018 at 19:40, Max Wall said:

Always liked the Hendrix version as a kid but have grown to love the Dylan one equally. As for the Byrds, I just never liked their sound. I've liked lots of things Dave Crosby has been involved in since, just not The Byrds.

Personally I think Manfredd Mann were the best at doing Dylan songs. 'Mighty Quinn' and 'If You Gotta Go', in particular are both excellent. I do like Hendrix as well but I prefer Dylan's original versions whenever Hendrix covered them. The only Byrds cover of Dylan I enjoy is 'My Back Pages' (I do have The Byrds' greatest hits and there's about 8 songs that are Dylan covers lol Mind you, his lyrics are on another level). I prefer Dylan's original 'Mr Tambourine Man'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Personally I think Manfredd Mann were the best at doing Dylan songs. 'Mighty Quinn' and 'If You Gotta Go', in particular are both excellent. I do like Hendrix as well but I prefer Dylan's original versions whenever Hendrix covered them. The only Byrds cover of Dylan I enjoy is 'My Back Pages' (I do have The Byrds' greatest hits and there's about 8 songs that are Dylan covers lol Mind you, his lyrics are on another level). I prefer Dylan's original 'Mr Tambourine Man'.

Great shout, 'If you gotta go' is brilliant by Manfred Mann. As an aside, I once cleared a bar in Amsterdam by putting their cover of Springsteen's 'Blinded by the light' on the jukebox lol. Honestly 92, there was about 40 people in there along with me and my Mrs and within 2 minutes of the song playing, me and her had the whole place to ourselves. It is a pretty verbose, over produced piece of music but I can't help but like it, especially after a few.

As for 'My back pages'. yeah, you're right, the Byrds do a very good version of that. It's such a great song though isn't it? You'd need to royally **** up to do a bad version of it.  The Byrds did make a career out of Dylan covers, apart from 'Eight Miles High', which I don't personally like, it's all they're know for really.

As for 'Mr Tambourine man', yeah, Dylan's is the best but, deep down, I know that the best versions of every Dylan song is always his :thumbup:

As you may realise from the length of this reply, I've had a few, I'd better get off FT as it has a habit of going wrong when I've had a drink. Saw your post and had to reply first though lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Oh, and for Dylan covers, I love Joe Cocker. He's done loads, most of them brilliantly.