Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

January Transfer Window Thoughts & Rumours

25 minutes ago, FoxNotFox said:

Agreed. 

Even if, I reckon there'd be more emphasis on moving some players on rather than bringing more in.  My feeling is that we've got a pretty good squad already but there are maybe 4 or 5 players on our books that are sort of in limbo.  

Absolutely. We were trying to move Simpson and King on in the summer but I can’t see us wanting to force them out in January after Vichai’s accident. Which basically just postpones the squad’s overhaul and evolution until the summer which again, in the context of the tragedy we’ve suffered, I’m fine with, as long as we’re not getting relegated. Finishing 7th  and qualifying for Europe would be a bonus of course. It will give us a chance to allow our older title winners like Simpson, Fuchs, King, Okazaki and probably Wes to move on or retire with hopefully a farewell game of some sort.

As @Suzie the Fox mentioned January is notoriously difficult window to get value for money (though Wilf and Gray certainly were). I do trust us to tread sensibly though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

He’s not even close to premier league quality. 

I fully agree my suggestion is one of desperation.  I really don't rate Iheanacho and would happily take virtually anyone on loan to tide us until the Summer.  But it doesn't look like there is anyone available for a  permanent January transfer.

Edited by breadandcheese
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Absolutely. We were trying to move Simpson and King on in the summer but I can’t see us wanting to force them out in January after Vichai’s accident. Which basically just postpones the squad’s overhaul and evolution until the summer which again, in the context of the tragedy we’ve suffered, I’m fine with, as long as we’re not getting relegated. Finishing 7th  and qualifying for Europe would be a bonus of course. It will give us a chance to allow our older title winners like Simpson, Fuchs, King, Okazaki and probably Wes to move on or retire with hopefully a farewell game of some sort.

As @Suzie the Fox mentioned January is notoriously difficult window to get value for money (though Wilf and Gray certainly were). I do trust us to tread sensibly though.

This would be nice. Would love to give them a proper send off - they deserve it.

22 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Both good points, and I don't really have an answer for you. Let's see what the club does in the window, though I suspect they might be thinking more about getting players off the books (Slimani, Silva, King) than bringing them in.

We should also consider that with Vichai passing away, the whole club will probably wait until the summer before doing anything drastic. I think that unless we look like going into a relegation battle, we probably won't change much.

Okay.nice discussion, looking forward for more! Thank you 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

I don't have the dislike others have for Slimani here he has hardly excelled in Turkey. Only 1 goal so far for Fenerbache.

He had a somewhat good goals to minutes ratio for us but his touch is a bit off and his workrate isn't great either.

I agree with re Slimani not excelling in Turkey but think he's scored a few in European competitions to go with his league goal. Not brilliant either way though tbf.

If there was an argument to be made for bringing back Slimani in January our last 2 home games are something to bear in mind.

In 2016/17 we beat both West Ham and Burnley at home with Slim scoring in both games (Headers too IIRC). He was a bit of a flat track bully at times and helped us beat lower half of the table sides. We struggled in front of goal the last 2 home games and it does raise the question if we were too hasty in agreeing to a loan move.

He made next to no impression against the more elite teams in the league but there would have been someone more than adequate against others if managed correctly.

The last game against Bournemouth in 2016/17 was the turning point for him possibly. He did everything but score that day. Had one of those chances gone in then maybe it could have been different.

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Like 1

I can’t understand how for so many Slimani has suddenly become the answer to us needing a striker . He was pretty woeful when he was here one of the reasons we wanted to get rid . Add to this the rumours of being a bad apple and the alleged punching incident a rubbish time at Newcastle and by the sounds of it he’s not doing much  better in Turkey with 1  goal why the hell would we want him back . 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

I’d love Arnautovic here

hes the type of individual Man Utd will buy just like sanchez/pogba that plays for himself and doesn't actually improve the team and they will still be garbage. Unlike Pep who wouldn't go near him as he buys players to build a complete team and fit in with his etho. 

Edited by les-tah

United will be linked with Maguire again. Money [45Mill potentially] + Baily could be a decent deal for both clubs. We were linked with him from Villarreal before United got him. 

Ruben Loftus Cheek to partner Ndidi in our central midfield and that would be a pretty decent transfer window. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

I’d love Arnautovic here

His attributes is the type of player we could do with. A player who is strong, fairly quick, good at finishing and can play anywhere across the attack. Theres another Austrian who we've been linked with in the summer who is of similar style in Micheal Gregoritsch 

2 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Can't see anything major happening. Maybe one or two younger players with potential will be brought in.

For those thinking we are planning next season without CP better think again. 

Doesn't surprise me, he's here for the season minimum unless we really regress towards the relegation zone. I hope he can be a success here, we are still a few players off being where we ought to be though, it's not even we have enough there but it's going to take time for them to improve. We are a striker short, a central midfielder who is more creative and possibly a winger. Everything else is there or thereabouts.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Doesn't surprise me, he's here for the season minimum unless we really regress towards the relegation zone. I hope he can be a success here, we are still a few players off being where we ought to be though, it's not even we have enough there but it's going to take time for them to improve. We are a striker short, a central midfielder who is more creative and possibly a winger. Everything else is there or thereabouts.

Agree with this completely.

Puel is steadily improving us, but we're not quite there yet and there are a few missing pieces to take us to the next level. Doubt anything major will change in January, though.

Agree with the striker and midfielder, but I'd avoid another winger. Our current 'wingers' cut inside a lot more so I don't think adding to their ranks is necessary as we have a lot of players capable of playing in that sort of space. I'd instead go for a FB. Chilwell's backup currently is a soon-departing Fuchs, and Elder who was good in preseason but otherwise hasn't really been involved. At RB, we've got Amartey (more of a CB?) and Simpson (Puel doesn't seem overly keen). 

Room for improvement on both sides, although I think we'll only add one. I'd go for Clyne in January and reevaluate LB in the summer.

For striker and midfielder, Drinkwater and Slimani in their primes are exactly what we could do with right now in my opinion. I doubt either of them will ever play for us again though, and I'm not sure who else is available/good enough/within our price range.