Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

January Transfer Window Thoughts & Rumours

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Too much emphasis on transfers to fix our team without giving time to the players we already have. Slimani, Silva, Musa... all among the most expensive signings the club has ever made but not worked out. (I had high hopes for Silva but he can't even get into the match day squad). Transfers aren't always the solution.

Prior to the Burnley game we had scored in every game this season. Against them we had an effort cleared off the goal line, a header against the bar, Gray was one on one versus the keeper, Albrighton hit it straight at Hart and Shinji had a free header at the end. We did everything but score! And given the emotional trauma and tiring trip to Thailand in the last two weeks I have never been more proud of my club or city. It was a really decent performance that deserved a win.

We are clearly missing Mahrez, which is like saying the Sky is blue. He is a top class player and showing that for Man City. He might have been greedy but Mahrez after Vardy was our next highest goalscorer and also chief creative influence. Any team would struggle to replace a player of such quality. We can blame our recruitment team for not getting an adequate replacement, but it's meant that Gray can start more games and he had a great game yesterday and needs more game time to improve. Even Riyad took a full season to really adapt to the Premier League before he smashed it, Vardy took a while, etc. So we must be patient.

Also in terms of similar players that other teams have brought:

- Elynoussi of Southampton is nicknamed "Anoymoussi" by their fans.

- Schurrle has scored a few goals for Fulham, yet they are bottom of the league.
- Jahanbasksh of Brighton has not scored or assisted yet.
- Felipe Anderson has been very good, but was a huge purchase.
- Bernard was very good against us, but don't think we ever stood a chance to get him.

- Ghezall has scored twice (one in the cup) and had some decent games. I thought he was quite good versus Burnley and showed his adaptability by playing as the 10 in Maddison's absence.

So I don't think we've really missed out massively on anyone that perhaps we could have signed. A lot of posters say sign another striker, but we let go of Ulloa and Slimani because we are only going to play one up top. If anything you could make an argument for bringing back Slimani and / or Barnes who both have an eye for goal though are currently in weaker leagues. Those talking about Kramaric are spot on though, he's class we knew he was class and it was a bit reckless to sell him and sign Slimani / Musa instead to put it mildly.

I know midtable isn't pulling up any trees but it's giving our young players time to develop. I think giving Gray and Maddison time to develop this season will improve us a lot, but there is no short cut to getting experience for players like this. And realistically in terms of transfers we'd be hoping the team pull another rabbit out of the hat to really find another star turn, and transfers like Kante / Mahrez don't happen often. Diabate looked very good initially, but what's happened to him? He failed to take his chance it seems.

The elephant in the room for all of this is Ihenacho. He's had some good games for us but had way too many average ones. Yesterday was another example of him coming on... but us playing worse. He is young, but extremely frustrating to see play. Gray went through a similar spell and seemingly has started to improve again, so I hope the same is true with Nacho, but he and Silva so far given their price tags have been the biggest disappointments of the current squad for me.

In summary, I think we should stick with what we have and make decisions in the summer. We won't go down, so let's give our young players time to develop and then assess the situation.

Yes, but recall Harvey Barnes too. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Too much emphasis on transfers to fix our team without giving time to the players we already have. Slimani, Silva, Musa... all among the most expensive signings the club has ever made but not worked out. (I had high hopes for Silva but he can't even get into the match day squad). Transfers aren't always the solution.

Prior to the Burnley game we had scored in every game this season. Against them we had an effort cleared off the goal line, a header against the bar, Gray was one on one versus the keeper, Albrighton hit it straight at Hart and Shinji had a free header at the end. We did everything but score! And given the emotional trauma and tiring trip to Thailand in the last two weeks I have never been more proud of my club or city. It was a really decent performance that deserved a win.

We are clearly missing Mahrez, which is like saying the Sky is blue. He is a top class player and showing that for Man City. He might have been greedy but Mahrez after Vardy was our next highest goalscorer and also chief creative influence. Any team would struggle to replace a player of such quality. We can blame our recruitment team for not getting an adequate replacement, but it's meant that Gray can start more games and he had a great game yesterday and needs more game time to improve. Even Riyad took a full season to really adapt to the Premier League before he smashed it, Vardy took a while, etc. So we must be patient.

- Schurrle has scored a few goals for Fulham, yet they are bottom of the league.
- Bernard was very good against us, but don't think we ever stood a chance to get him.

- Ghezall has scored twice (one in the cup) and had some decent games. I thought he was quite good versus Burnley and showed his adaptability by playing as the 10 in Maddison's absence.

So I don't think we've really missed out massively on anyone that perhaps we could have signed. A lot of posters say sign another striker, but we let go of Ulloa and Slimani because we are only going to play one up top. If anything you could make an argument for bringing back Slimani and / or Barnes who both have an eye for goal though are currently in weaker leagues. Those talking about Kramaric are spot on though, he's class we knew he was class and it was a bit reckless to sell him and sign Slimani / Musa instead to put it mildly.

I know midtable isn't pulling up any trees but it's giving our young players time to develop. I think giving Gray and Maddison time to develop this season will improve us a lot, but there is no short cut to getting experience for players like this. And realistically in terms of transfers we'd be hoping the team pull another rabbit out of the hat to really find another star turn, and transfers like Kante / Mahrez don't happen often. Diabate looked very good initially, but what's happened to him? He failed to take his chance it seems.

The elephant in the room for all of this is Ihenacho. He's had some good games for us but had way too many average ones. Yesterday was another example of him coming on... but us playing worse. He is young, but extremely frustrating to see play. Gray went through a similar spell and seemingly has started to improve again, so I hope the same is true with Nacho, but he and Silva so far given their price tags have been the biggest disappointments of the current squad for me.

In summary, I think we should stick with what we have and make decisions in the summer. We won't go down, so let's give our young players time to develop and then assess the situation.

I agree with a lot of this but I do think we are missing at least one other attacking option either a striker or a wide forward. Barnes will come back eventually but we've absolutely nothing in the academy even bar Ndukwu who's got a long term injury. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree with a lot of this but I do think we are missing at least one other attacking option either a striker or a wide forward. Barnes will come back eventually but we've absolutely nothing in the academy even bar Ndukwu who's got a long term injury. 

Yeah I think the way the season has panned out so far you are probably right. Diabate isn't getting a look in mind you, who was such an option last season.

But I think it's important to give the young players time to play, and have squad members that contribute. It's notable that Albrighton has yet again forced his way back into the starting 11, the guy just doesn't give up and he was one of our most creative players yesterday.

I'd personally argue for not buying a player and recalling Barnes if we were to do such a thing. He will probably struggle to begin with, but if he is getting minutes and chances then it's worth it. If he won't play then it's not of course and he should stay with the Baggies.

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'd say since Claude came in that we are solid in most positions and have done alright in developing players like Chilwell, Mendy and Gray. Plenty of options in defence and midfield. Not perfect but not too shabby either. With Maguire and Maddison missing we had ok-ish cover in Evans and Ghezzal.

The attack though is a major problem no getting away from it. Vardy is still decent but close to a point where he will be on the wane (if not already). Nachoman has been a huge disappointment and Okazaki is close to his exit. Backup is adequate in other positions but not in attack.

Down the line we will finish bottom half of the table if we don't improve in the final third.

49 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

There was a rumour Chelsea were thinking of throwing £35m at Callum Wilson. We can’tcompete if they do, but I’d absolutely love that to be our January signing. 

Can’t see Bournemouth selling to be honest certainly not for £35m, 4 years still left on his contract and they are likely to be selling Ake for £40m+ they won’t exactly need the cash

53 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

There was a rumour Chelsea were thinking of throwing £35m at Callum Wilson. We can’tcompete if they do, but I’d absolutely love that to be our January signing. 

There’s got to be a few of our fringe players they’d want?

52 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

He's a class player who practically beat us on his own with his clever play. I'd swap Nacho for him.

11 hours ago, surrifox said:

How is Roberts going to improve the team ?

...he is far better than Ghezall in the right wing position.....he is not Mahrez but has the attributes and instinct of our former winger and I believe the move to Girona was a poor decision by Man. City. He had all but said goodbye to Celtic and packing his bags to come to Leicester then the move doesn't happen. He is then moved to another country and new language and is expected to perform for a team his mind and heart is not into.

I think we made a bad call, by not following up after the Mahrez deal was done........!!

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Great insight 

What about loan nacho out and getting striker in? Vardy aren't in good form this season, it's unclear wheter he start his decline while we haven't adequate alternatives. 

Also nacho need grays week in week out game for experience

Btw Kramaric sold 6 months before musa and slimani arrival. 

54 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

I’d genuinely be happy if all we did in January was recall Barnes and Benkovic....and then actually use them regularly 

Agree.  Freshen things up for free.