Jump to content
fuchsntf

Kasper Schmeichel...

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:


Yes ...   apart from that one .. 

 

Better to have come and spilled than never to have come at all ...     :)

Don’t tell your missus that 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Haha, I love goalkeeping more than anything, it's something I've done for years, but Kasper is naturally someone who's game I've analysed a lot. 

 

Being a similar height myself I know how challenging it is coming for crosses against bigger forwards when weighing up the risk vs reward - one wrong misjudgement is a goal. There is more method to the "not coming for crosses often" than it seems on the base of things. Kasper probably backs his defenders over him to defend crosses first, or his ability to save a shot from a cross rather than just come and collecting it. A giant like Pope is definitely more suited to claiming crosses, but his agility and reactions to save a shot from a cross are probably slightly slower due to his frame too. 

 

Like I said earlier on, I think that goalkeepers need to be treated more like outfield players in the sense of "what they bring to the table" rather than they're just good or bad. It seems like a lot of people just put goalkeepers either in the black or the white rather than judge their individual skills. I think that's why this debate over Pope or Schmeichel is a non starter, because depending on how you would tactically set up they would suit you side better/worse.


Ha ! ...  I played as a keeper too when my knees had gone and I couldn’t run much.  I’m 6’1” and although many were taller than me I could always punch it ...  and knee a few forwards at the same time  ..  :)    Understand everything you are saying about Kasper but Pope to me looked a class above ...  and he plays for the cloggers ...  don’t want to lose him but in the cold light of day ...  well ...   I think deep down you know what I mean. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Countryfox said:


Ha ! ...  I played as a keeper too when my knees had gone and I couldn’t run much.  I’m 6’1” and although many were taller than me I could always punch it ...  and knee a few forwards at the same time  ..  :) 

Pretty good explanation of why your knees went in the first place there, by the sounds of it. :fishing:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Always find it funny when people say Schmeichel is terrible from free kicks because of one mistake vs Burnley 5 years ago. 

 

His positioning from free kicks is now usually spot on and compared to many keepers I cant think of a single time he's been beaten on his post. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

kasper 100% better than pope, non debate. kasper gets a lot of stick for his feet from leicester fans but very unwarranted, think all keepers who try passes miss a few, just we only watch kasper religiously each week

 

think goalkeeeping biggest position where watching your own keeper each week really exaggerates their weaknesses relative to other; bloke is a leicester legend who hopefully will get into top 10 for most apps of all time

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, eblair said:

kasper 100% better than pope, non debate. kasper gets a lot of stick for his feet from leicester fans but very unwarranted, think all keepers who try passes miss a few, just we only watch kasper religiously each week

 

think goalkeeeping biggest position where watching your own keeper each week really exaggerates their weaknesses relative to other; bloke is a leicester legend who hopefully will get into top 10 for most apps of all time

Absolutely spot on. If you watch match of the day or the occasional match then you'll just be looking at a keeper's shot stopping really so get a very warped perspective of how good they are, much like thinking all goal scoring midfielders are great when they might have major weaknesses to their game that you don't see.

 

As has been said, I really think style is important as well. People forget just how capable Kasper is of assisting goals directly because we don't play in that way. Yes he makes mistakes, but his distribution in terms of ability is right up there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He deserves a statue. He was legendary in the champions league. He is the reason we got to the Quarter finals of the champions league. That paid for the training ground alone. The money from those saves he made in them games let us become what we are today.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eblair said:

kasper 100% better than pope, non debate. kasper gets a lot of stick for his feet from leicester fans but very unwarranted, think all keepers who try passes miss a few, just we only watch kasper religiously each week

 

think goalkeeeping biggest position where watching your own keeper each week really exaggerates their weaknesses relative to other; bloke is a leicester legend who hopefully will get into top 10 for most apps of all time

Not sure how you can say Kasper is 100 percent better.

 

For a team that finished 5th Didn’t Pope finish higher in all related GK stats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

He deserves a statue. He was legendary in the champions league. He is the reason we got to the Quarter finals of the champions league. That paid for the training ground alone. The money from those saves he made in them games let us become what we are today.

Being in the family stand when he saved that penalty is probably the best moment I’ve seen live as an LCFC fan. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

How much of that is to do with a team that finished 5th and conceded 9 less goals?

None that stat literally accounts for likelihood of a shot being a goal, not a perfect stat but is relatively useful 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eblair said:

None that stat literally accounts for likelihood of a shot being a goal, not a perfect stat but is relatively useful 

So save percentage is XG?

 

KS .738

NP. 711

 

isn’t the variable, Shots on target against 

 

NP faced an extra 33 shots overall 

25% more than KS 

 

The more shots you face the harder to maintain higher levels of Save Accuracy (concentration etc).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

So save percentage is XG?

 

KS .738

NP. 711

 

isn’t the variable, Shots on target against 

 

NP faced an extra 33 shots overall 

25% more than KS 

 

The more shots you face the harder to maintain higher levels of Save Accuracy (concentration etc).

 

 

nah psxg is based on how many times a shot of that speed, starting position, ending position etc goes in. nothing to do with save percentage. goalkeeper can have a really high save percentage if they get a million shots from distance at them, psxg actually accounts for how good the shot itself was. its not a perfect metric but is p useful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...