Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leaks claims Euro Super League talks held by clubs

Top European clubs have held secret talks to create a European Super League, according to a report by German publication Der Speigel.

The newspaper claims leaked documents show the breakaway league could be created in 2021 and see clubs involved leave their national leagues and football associations.

Der Speigel also alleges separate documents show Manchester City and Paris St-Germain avoided financial fair play sanctions with the intervention of Fifa president Gianni Infantino.

Premier League champions City said they would not comment "on out of context materials purportedly hacked or stolen".

Der Speigel says its source is a whistleblower they call John, who claims that neither he nor his associates are hackers.

"We have very good sources and a strong network that provides us with a lot of information," he told Der Speigel.

What about the European Super League?
Der Speigel claims Real Madrid has joined forces with AC Milan, Arsenal, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus and Manchester United to form a group of seven sides who went behind the back of Uefa, European football's governing body, to discuss forming a European Super League.

As part of their plans, the clubs allegedly discussed "an option for leaving the national leagues and their football associations behind entirely".

Bayern Munich are supposed to have explored the legal complexities of the breakaway and one of the documents Der Speigel says it has seen is a "binding term sheet" which 16 clubs would sign to form the Super League.

The new competition, it is claimed, would involve 11 of Europe's biggest clubs, known as the "founders", along with five "initial guests".

The so-called founders, who would include the seven clubs named above along with Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Paris St-Germain, would not face relegation and would be guaranteed membership for 20 years.

Der Speigel reports that the five "initial guests," according to the document, would be Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Inter Milan, Marseille and Roma.

A Bayern Munich statement said they were "unaware of recent plans for a so-called Super League" and had not "taken part in negotiations relating to such plans".

The club's chairman added: "FC Bayern Munich stands by its membership of the Bundesliga and, as long as I am chairman of the board of FC Bayern, also by the club competitions organised jointly by Uefa and the ECA (European Club Association)."

United declined to comment, while Arsenal, AC Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid have been contacted for their response by BBC Sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46078651

Also in many other sports media.

Not really a surprise, given the way FFP was devised to prevent anyone gate crashing the ‘big clubs’ ....

a league which replaces the champions league would work (as long as it involved different clubs accessing it via domestic league qualification) - the idea that you automatically  qualify because of who you are is just nonsense 

stuff like this threatens the ambitions our club has - if there is an idea that there is a glass ceiling whatever you achieve then owners of clubs would possibly think twice about investing in infrastructure, especially given the likelihood that a less competitive premier league would ensue with a big reduction in TV monies and a poorer experience all round. 

I don't see the logic of it at the moment they have the riches of the PL and the Champions League if you replace it by a Euro League and presumable some kind of Champions League with the same teams are they not diluting the interest in the Champions League?

Can't see the big English clubs being remotely interested in it.

The TV money they get would have to be huge to tempt them.

Think even we get more TV money than the likes of Atletico Madrid and AC Milan … big clubs compared to us.

There would be a fan revolt amongst the big English clubs if it were to go ahead … travelling to all the away games would be very expensive.

Can see clubs like PSG , Bayern and even Celtic being the only ones interested as they dominate their domestic leagues

.. although I doubt Celtic would be invited.

All about money, money and more money with scant regards for the fans.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davieG said:

I don't see the logic of it at the moment they have the riches of the PL and the Champions League if you replace it by a Euro League and presumable some kind of Champions League with the same teams are they not diluting the interest in the Champions League?

I expect they believe that the fact they cannot be relegated means they can draw down huge sums of money in advance via loans etc .... it will be a bit less attractive for the English clubs but how many have them have avoided missing out on CL qualification over the past five seasons?? they look at clubs like us with ambition and the ability to invest in our infrastructure and they wonder if the big six could become a big seven or big eight (Everton?). How long before a proper investor turns up at Newcastle and that club begins to fulfil its potential ??. 

securing your our place at the top table is surely a very attractive proposition.........

• Like 1

I guess for teams like PSG, Bayern and Juventus their interest is driven by the desire to play competitive games more often. They seem to have outgrown their own national leagues.

It is different here to an extent because we have six big clubs. But those 6 clubs are now so dominant that unless they are playing each other the result is pretty much a forgone conclusion. Since our shock title win, these clubs have redoubled their spending to ensure that such a story never happens again. 2 of them have even spent 70m on keepers for God's sake! The result is a hugely unbalanced league where the top 3 have won 19 and drawn 2 of their combined 21 games against non Big 6 teams and the bottom 8 clubs can't even muster a point per game overall. In the end it is inevitable that the fans of the big 6 clubs will get bored of this lack of competition, which in turn will impact on attendances and the attractiveness of the "product" for TV companies. So I would not rule out the Big 6 being tempted by this Super League proposal. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox

11 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

This is a move for the international fanbase, not domestic fans. The fans of the clubs involved could boycott and it would matter not, as the focus would be on the global numbers, not the UK market.

It will happen at some point and I'll be quite happy to say go away and don't come back to these teams. 

This is linked to the regular NFL games at London. Just the water testing of attitude. 

Anyone who contributes to that monumental shower of shit is tacitly giving permission for this to go ahead. 

Edited by foxile5

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

The death of football of that happnes

Greed…. Pure and simple 

The FA's just have to make it clear that any players in the so called superligue would be ineligible to play for their countries nor to play in national leagues for a stipulated number of years after playing in the superligue. I think then that the players would think twice. They can already earn sufficient money, will they really earn much more (and would it mean anything to them if they did) in a superligue. They do want to play in World cups. It is the highlight of a player's career. 

1 hour ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Can't see the big English clubs being remotely interested in it.

The TV money they get would have to be huge to tempt them.

Think even we get more TV money than the likes of Atletico Madrid and AC Milan … big clubs compared to us.

There would be a fan revolt amongst the big English clubs if it were to go ahead … travelling to all the away games would be very expensive.

Can see clubs like PSG , Bayern and even Celtic being the only ones interested as they dominate their domestic leagues

.. although I doubt Celtic would be invited.

All about money, money and more money with scant regards for the fans.

The money would be huge and I think it would tempt English clubs - they also need to feel elite and not worry about qualification for European competitions. I don't think the bottom 15 teams in a 20 team league would be so happy after a while though. especially if FIFA make it clear they'd have to re-apply to any national league and enter from the bottom. Ask Rangers. 

Fan revolt is irrelevant. Local fans may revolt though I'm not sure, these clubs live off their international TV fans so it'd make no difference. This type of football would show a shift to a more american idea where fans watch only home games in the stadium and ppv for away games on TV.

Celtic wouldn't be invited but maybe they could finally join the "British" league. PSG and Bayern need to be reined in by their own FAs. It is ridiculous at the moment in ligue 1, a total waste of time. Proper fair play rules need to re-balance the national leagues. It really isn't in anyone's interest to have one team totally dominate the national scene simply because they are richer - that isn't what football is about.

Football has been all about money for a long time. However it's the "fans" who in the end provide the money (indirectly). the difference now is that it's international fans that have become more important to these "big" clubs than their local fans.

Could see this happening tbh. Greed always wins and this would have so much potential for £££.

I think a lot of people would just give up with football if this happens. Only people satisfied outside of the people profiting from a league like this would be glory supporters with no actual connection to the clubs. 

• Like 1