Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leaks claims Euro Super League talks held by clubs

4 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

It’s definitely going to happen.The question is when and what format will be used.The Champions League isn’t fit for purpose for most of the big clubs taking part.The competition dosern’t really start until spring.Its also still possible for toe rag clubs like ourselves to spoil the party.

Now imagine Europe’s elite starting their own competition.Where they pick who competes.Negotiating their own tv deal.Making it so every game counts.It could be 10 fold what’s on offer now.Players wages would also go up 10 fold.Teams would have such strong squads that their reserve teams could still win their domestic leagues at a canter.

Its just natural progression.The likes of Barca and Bayern have no were else to go.This will happen.Worrying about a couple of thousand away fans will be no 645 on the agenda?

I know where you are coming from - but big games are all relative. When we were in the championship Burnley was seen as a big game - now I wouldn't even look twice to see when we are playing them. If you get used to playing the same calibre teams week in week out the appeal of those teams will fall.

The best thing about the champions league is that when two titans play each other it is a one off game where both teams go for it. It makes for a great spectacle. I think money wise this will eventually dry up as the fans will disconnect from the club given the impractical nature of following the team especially away week in week out.

Why can't the smaller clubs have a say in what is apparently affecting the 'top' sides?

I thought league clubs should have equal opportunity etc.

Football competition should be for all, not for the bigger clubs to dictate and try to bend the rules/change competition formats.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

6 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Why can't the smaller clubs have a say in what is apparently affecting the 'top' sides?

I thought league clubs should have equal opportunity etc.

Football competition should be for all, not for the bigger clubs to dictate and try to bend the rules/change competition formats.

Well they did with the overseas TV money and yet voted to give the top 6 a bigger %, yes even LCFC.

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

Well they did with the overseas TV money and yet voted to give the top 6 a bigger %, yes even LCFC.

Am not doubting your claim fully, but would be interesting to know where you got that information from.

If that was the case, why would they do that - knowing that competition between clubs sizes etc would be potentially negatively affected as a result?

8 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Am not doubting your claim fully, but would be interesting to know where you got that information from.

If that was the case, why would they do that - knowing that competition between clubs sizes etc would be potentially negatively affected as a result?

We did .......... along with West Ham and some others ........

Absolutely terrible for them. If they did this and took a large percentage of revenue with them, what would stop teams like us, Everton, West ham charging them 5 times as much for players to make up our losses? Like other clubs do with premier league teams. We would say 65m for spurs for maguire for example but 180m to man u. It wouldn't necessarily end up with them being richer as surely players will ask for a massive wage based upon the increase in revenue and sit on their contracts even more than they do now. To play for a team that consistently finishes 11th in the same league against the same teams. 

Not sure the glory hunting aspect of their fanbases will appreciate that... 

Also, why would a young English player want to play for arsenal when they are being battered by barca, juve every week but not a team that wins every week and could still offer them a decent wage. 

Edited by North Leeds Fox

1 hour ago, browniefox said:

Imagine the "Big clubs" involved, some have to come last and they won't like it, can't see this sticking 

As I’ve mentioned in an earlier post they will probably use the American sport model with conferences.This is 10 /15 years down the line.Or when the domestic tv deal starts to nose dive.Which ever comes first.

By that stage I should imagine a 32-40 club tournament.Lets say 20/22 matches to win the thing.Throw in a couple of knockout cups aswell and interest will be kept.Worse case scenario being they would have to scramble back to their domestic league.Where the clubs third team will be holding the fort and probably still wiping the floor with the rest.They will be that strong.

Personally I think it’s awful.In fact if it wasn’t for the fact that we were in it,I couldn’t care less about the Premier League 

The way to stop it would be for fans of other clubs not to watch it on TV. I mean we all watch some Champions League games, and I'd guess maybe 50% or more of viewers aren't actual fans of the club's involved.

As @shailen said earlier, one of the main draws of two big clubs playing each other for the neutral is the rarity of it. When it's every week, then meh.

• Like 1

Good and the sooner the beter, get rid of the op 6 and we can start playing against proper clubs with proper fanbases at conventional kick off times and days.

This is purely to do with money, nothing else. Top 6 would make ££££ out of this, games would kick off at 8am on Saturdays, you'd have billions tuning on from the Asian markets. No fans would be allowed into the games, it would only be sponsors, corporates and 'VIPs'.

Let the top 6, TV companies, brands and corporates scuttle off and ruin it for themselves, hopefully football in this country would then become better off without them.

It'd be the final straw for actual fans of those clubs, the few that haven't been priced out already. If they were to go ahead with it, I'd expect a few more FC United of Manchester type clubs popping up. 

Might actually long term be good for domestic football as the money men who don't understand it leave and it becomes less of a closed shop. Look at the last decade if the big 6 weren't involved, who'd have won the title:

Burnley, Everton, Leicester, Southampton, Everton, Everton, Newcastle, Everton, Aston Villa, Everton

Ok, Everton look dominant but you've got as many different winners in there as you have since 1992 with the big clubs involved, more competitive at least.

Edited by The Doctor
  • Like 1

I think the clubs are doing this to threaten UEFA into giving them more of the royalties from the Champions League rather tha nbeing serious about this proposal. It's a bit like the argument in the Premier League that the top clubs want more of the revenue share, which also needs to die horribly. Although the top 6 clubs are currently a cut above the rest, our title win was only three seasons ago and an equal revenue share is great for the league. Ourselves, Everton, Wolves, Fulham, Watford and even Bournemouth all seem to be quite ambitious and I could see any of these teams (well maybe not Fulham) breaking into the top 6 this season or even next. I know Bournemouth lost to Man United at the weekend but they should have won that game and have been quite consistent this season.

One of the reasons why Primera Liga and the Bundesliga are so boring is that the top clubs get proportionally WAY more revenue than anyone else, which makes it an unfair competition! 

The Oil clubs need to die a horrible death really. Ideas like this prove they are not good for football long term.

• Like 2

On 04/11/2018 at 07:19, foxile5 said:

Said it before and I'll say it again. 

This kind of crap is all linked to Americanisation of Europe and, in particular, England. 

For some reason the general population seems incredibly desperate to ape America's every move, inclusive of this weird sports franchise idea. 

You can see it in our language. We've moved from 'Leicester are', the collective, to 'Leicester is' the singular. Clubs are no longer us, but an institution. This might seem trivial but language forms perception and attitude. It's a big shift. And one that enables this kind of super league attitude. 

Don't for a second think that this NFL in London stuff is anything but a testing of attitudes. Will the British public tolerate this? The FA tried to sell our ****ing stadium to an NFL Franchise owning American. 

The absolute worst part of this are the people who claim to be into the NFL when it's a recent fad. Embarrassing seeing them pretending like tailgating is natural and using the American pronunciation of defense. Nobody enjoys the sport - they just fancy aping the people they see on TV

Its this kind of sycophantry that gives UEFA and FIFA the belief that we'd buy into a super league. 

You've pretty much entirely summarised why I won't bother with the NFL. I've said all along the popularity of it concerns me a bit regarding football. I've heard plenty say things such as "you can't moan about football going to the USA when they're bringing the NFL over here".

The point as well I've made a few times, and a few others have said it in here too, is that there must be losers - in a league formed around people 'supporting' these clubs because they win all the time, how are they going to handle coming 16th? How are Man Utd's global 'support' going to tolerate winning 7 games a season? They'll all turn to Barcelona.

I also have a red line below "summarised". Your point proven lol 

If it's used as some kind of threat against the PL then the bluff absolutely must be called out and they must be told no access to PL or domestic competitions if they proceed. It's a dogshit idea and I'm confident it wouldn't get off the ground with the fans of those clubs in this country, so they'd have to shit all over all of them to make it happen (not impossible).

• Like 1

http://www.spiegel.de/international/manchester-city-exposed-bending-the-rules-to-the-tune-of-millions-a-1236346.html

Spiegel is dropping some major leaks all week and this is quite eye opening...

The club and its sponsors were manipulating their contracts. When Chumillas asked his colleague Simon Pearce if they could change the date of payment for the sponsors from Abu Dhabi, Pearce answered in the spirit of Manchester City's executives: "Of course, we can do what we want."

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Thanks 1