Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Topic closing - Why?

Ok, so my topic regarding the players/club not talking to Stringer/BBC has been closed.

I appreciate that some people in the thread were being offensive HOWEVER, surely THEY should be shut down...NOT the topic. People were discussing, it was informative to other users who werent aware of the situation and it is (IMO) a relevant discussion.

Does it just require a couple of people to demand the closing of the topic for it to be done.. Or is all it takes to close a thread is be one of the elite and become abusive/offensive?

Im sure if i went in to other topics and was offensive, I. the offensive one... would be removed/blocked/restricted/banned rather than the topic being locked.

Why was the topic locked?

7 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Ok, so my topic regarding the players/club not talking to Stringer/BBC has been closed.

I appreciate that some people in the thread were being offensive HOWEVER, surely THEY should be shut down...NOT the topic. People were discussing, it was informative to other users who werent aware of the situation and it is (IMO) a relevant discussion.

Does it just require a couple of people to demand the closing of the topic for it to be done.. Or is all it takes to close a thread is be one of the elite and become abusive/offensive?

Im sure if i went in to other topics and was offensive, I. the offensive one... would be removed/blocked/restricted/banned rather than the topic being locked.

Why was the topic locked?

You won't find answers here. only questions. ;)

Well the Puel out topic was also closed because of people begging for the thread to be closed because of needing to ‘grieve’ and ‘show togetherness’ which is a completely separate issue from people discussing the managers tenure and decision making whilst at the football club and goes completely against the principles of a forum, present to freely discuss footballing matters. There’s lots of threads and posters I don’t like so you know what, I stay the **** out of those threads and away from those posters. I’d only ask for something to be closed if it was inappropriate or offensive. Discussing the managers tenure may be to some in present times be a poor choice, wrong decision or sour tasting but it’s not inappropriate or offensive. What’s inappropriate in this instance is being banned from footballing related free speech because a section of posters want to be seen to be grief ridden and expect everybody else to behave as they wish to be perceived.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well the Puel out topic was also closed because of people begging for the thread to be closed because of needing to ‘grieve’ and ‘show togetherness’ which is a completely separate issue from people discussing the managers tenure and decision making whilst at the football club and goes completely against the principles of a forum, present to freely discuss footballing matters. There’s lots of threads and posters I don’t like so you know what, I stay the **** out of those threads and away from those posters. I’d only ask for something to be closed if it was inappropriate or offensive. Discussing the managers tenure may be to some in present times be a poor choice, wrong decision or sour tasting but it’s not inappropriate or offensive. What’s inappropriate in this instance is being banned from footballing related free speech because a section of posters want to be seen to be grief ridden and expect everybody else to behave as they wish to be perceived.

I did ask for the thread to be closed in jest and was actually quite disappointed that it was. I think a few people just found a conversation about Puel’s position inappropriate at this time. But that shouldn’t mean that you’re then restricted from having that conversation if you wanted to. I’d happily debate it with you on a different thread!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Totally agree,

As I think I said to you in the thread and I don’t want him to be sacked. It’s not inappropriate at all and people that are too sensitive to be able to cope with discussions should restrict themselves not the other way around. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks as if the Politics/Brexit thread has been deleted? Just curious as to why? @Mark (sorry, don't know who the Mod is these days).

Have I missed some great conflagration? I posted something harmless early morning and there didn't seem to be any problematic conduct then.... :dunno:

I know people have the odd grumble about that thread and there is the odd argument, but that goes with the territory, doesn't it - and not only in that particular thread?

If someone finds the thread dull they can stay out - and if anyone posts abuse or whatever, they (not the thread) can be sent to boot camp, surely?

Mind you, if it has been deleted, it might be good news as it'll free up a lot of time for me! :D

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Looks as if the Politics/Brexit thread has been deleted?

I must say that it surprised me somewhat that it was deleted, particularly as I had just typed out a response and clicked 'submit' when it went! You'll all never get to read my words of wisdom now. I can't say I noticed anything that I would have called overly aggressive (I actually thought it was being debated in surprisingly good spirit, given what happens elsewhere) but I obviously respect the decision of admin. :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark said:

I've been concerned general chat and the forum in general has become a less friendly place over the past year or so, this topic in particular is where alot of aggro seems to occur. Does that then make its way over into other topics? Well I've noticed some posters who participate mainly in this topic do tend to be causing trouble elsewhere and having their accounts restricted, at least 3 in November alone and one of them multiple times, who then just comes back and repeats the same in the politics thread.

The topic also attracts trolls. There have been members on here, (a few less now though as I've tried to sort it out) who make posts 100% in politics topics. I think, whoever these were have partly caused the turn in atmosphere in that topic in particular. But either way we shouldn't be losing Leicester fans opinions over a disagreement on Trump / May / whatever. @Webbo not being around anymore to help moderate this area hasn't helped though.

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

Can't say that I noticed a growing problem myself, but maybe I was just inured to it as a frequent inhabitant of that thread.

It's inevitable that a forum will have the odd argument - and probably more so in a thread on such a topic. But I found it quite civil most of the time, with things rarely getting nasty or personal. Some of the sharper or more melodramatic posts were also either tongue-in-cheek or exchanged between people who both dished it out and took it in return, no offence taken.

If anything, I notice more petty nastiness in the football forum. However, that may be personal bias - and in general it seems to be a forum with surprisingly little aggro, indeed an exceptionally well run forum respected by the vast majority of posters.

The odd troll appears, granted, but they generally get laughed at, rather than causing problems, don't they?

Anyway, you may have done me a major favour personally as, much as I enjoyed the debate in that thread, I did spend too much time in there......time to find a healthy new hobby! :D 

Thanks for all you do, anyway.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mark said:

I’m not against a new one being created if someone could keep an eye on it and any abuse was dealt with promptly so it doesn’t get out of hand

Sorry if this seems selfish but, for now at least, I wouldn't want to put myself forward for such duties. Maybe someone else?

Like most, I do have real-life demands on my time - and am sufficiently lacking in self-discipline that I already spend more time than I should on here.

In all seriousness, you may have just improved my life by deleting that thread - though I'll probably just end up spending the extra time posting in other threads. :D

1 hour ago, FoxNotFox said:

I must say that it surprised me somewhat that it was deleted, particularly as I had just typed out a response and clicked 'submit' when it went! You'll all never get to read my words of wisdom now. I can't say I noticed anything that I would have called overly aggressive (I actually thought it was being debated in surprisingly good spirit, given what happens elsewhere) but I obviously respect the decision of admin. :) 

You'd solved brexit hadn't you?

And now it's been deleted for all time.

6 hours ago, Mark said:

I've been concerned general chat and the forum in general has become a less friendly place over the past year or so, this topic in particular is where alot of aggro seems to occur. Does that then make its way over into other topics? Well I've noticed some posters who participate mainly in this topic do tend to be causing trouble elsewhere and having their accounts restricted, at least 3 in November alone and one of them multiple times, who then just comes back and repeats the same in the politics thread.

The topic also attracts trolls. There have been members on here, (a few less now though as I've tried to sort it out) who make posts 100% in politics topics. I think, whoever these were have partly caused the turn in atmosphere in that topic in particular. But either way we shouldn't be losing Leicester fans opinions over a disagreement on Trump / May / whatever. @Webbo not being around anymore to help moderate this area hasn't helped though.

He'll be a big loss to this forum, for sure.

I know some (they know who they are) tried to wind him up over the past few months, but he tried his very best, like you, to keep things in order and smoothly as a whole (as much as practicable).

Hope he comes back after some consideration, as he's down-to-earth and has the right values for this forum - respect, integrity and devoted.

Personally found The Politics Thread amusing and informative, but frustrating at the same time (with the latter, certain posters kept saying the same unpopular comment about something about the topic and they knew it would annoy some other posters they didn't really got on well with).

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

He'll be a big loss to this forum, for sure.

I know some (they know who they are) tried to wind him up over the past few months, but he tried his very best, like you, to keep things in order and smoothly as a whole (as much as practicable).

Hope he comes back after some consideration, as he's down-to-earth and has the right values for this forum - respect, integrity and devoted.

Personally found The Politics Thread amusing and informative, but frustrating at the same time (with the latter, certain posters kept saying the same unpopular comment about something about the topic and they knew it would annoy some other posters they didn't really got on well with).

Who?

I've had the odd run in on here but never with Webbo.

Edit - I only ask as I'm surprised anyone has.

Edited by Max Wall

Have I misunderstood or has Webbo left the forum?

I found him to be a great mod who listened and explained as well as a very good poster. I hope I've misunderstood or that he returns shortly.

Love you Webbo.

edit: I think the gen forum is a fantastic space and one of the best forums on the whole of the internet. always found it to be humourous, helpful and informative and probably a lot less "nastiness" than the LCFC forum where people can be very personal. The only change I'd make is the removal of such vulgar words as the "C" word in titles and probably explain to those who seem to think that posting the word with a V instead of a U is not the acceptable thing to do - before banning them for several lifetimes. :)

I didn't post too often in the politics thread as my knowledge isn't good enough for it, though I was always an interested reader in the Brexit comments and occasionaly added a continental view.

Edited by Guest
added to in case OT

i think it's fair to say that webbo is a big boy and he has proven that he is quite capable of giving as good as he gets, especially in the politics thread.

they say that politics, sex and religion should never be discussed but we choose to do it on here and with that comes heated and opinionated posting - it goes hand in hand. 

i don't care if the thread comes back or not - it's a time-sink cesspit anyway and if people are going to get their shit out of joint because of it then maybe it's best that it stays closed.

at least I won't get restrictions as often... :cool:

just open up a pigeon thread in it's memory and be done with it. 

Just now, Strokes said:

I had no idea @Webbo had left (what a shame):(, I’ve not really been around myself lately. Did something happen?

I don’t think he’s left just not a mod anymore I guess he’s got other things in his life happening and taking him away from the forum.