Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

England v USA and Croatia Pre Match "£$%%^^&*

3 minutes ago, wattolcfc said:

I know someone who used to cut his hair and always said what an arrogant bastard he was, he thought he was above everyone else. Just hearing that really put me off the bloke.

The last game at filbo he was there. I was a young man trying to get his autograph with a crowd of other fans. 

He got out of his car and told us to 'get out of my way.' 

It absolutely gutted me that i didn't get the great Peter Shiltons autograph. 

• Sad 1

Sometimes they do say you shouldn't meet your heroes..

I wonder if Rooney will get a warm reception from everyone in the crowd?

He hasn't been 100% totally popular with the England fans.

Suggested he will only play a sub role but with Welbeck now injured and Kane probably going to be rested that might be a good half an hour or more.

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

Peter Shilton needs to pipe down a bit. Did you see his "goalkeeping" at Italia 90? I cannot believe more isnt made of the fact he basically cost us that shoot out by waiting to see which way theyd go. I dont think any goalkeeper has used that tactic since (or probably before) and with good reason.

Ironic of him to be talking about giving out caps like presents. We are giving our top goalscorer a send off, just like so many other countries have. 

Don't pretend you were the best Goalkeeper in England for the last 30 odd caps you got Peter.

That is my most vivid memory of that game,after their first pen you knew we were out.Hes got the strongest Leicester accent in the world mind.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The last game at filbo he was there. I was a young man trying to get his autograph with a crowd of other fans. 

He got out of his car and told us to 'get out of my way.' 

It absolutely gutted me that i didn't get the great Peter Shiltons autograph. 

What a pr1ck

England players should "respect" Wayne Rooney on his international return because they need to know "the history of the shirt", says manager Gareth Southgate.

Rooney, 33, will earn his 120th and final England cap in the friendly against USA on 15 November.

The game, now called 'The Wayne Rooney Foundation International', will honour the striker and his charity.

"I think the team totally respect what he did," Southgate said.

"I think it is important they respect what the players did in the past."

England's all-time record goalscorer Rooney will come on as a second-half substitute at Wembley but will not captain the side or wear the number 10 shirt.

Rooney, who now plays in the United States for DC United, has scored 53 goals in 119 international appearances and last played for England against Scotland in November 2016.

"We talk to them a lot about that they have the shirt now but it is not their shirt, great players have worn it before them and great players will wear it after them," Southgate added.

"That lineage and heritage of the shirt and the team is important to me because I think whether you join a club or (play for) your country you need to know the history of that shirt and the importance of it - then you are not playing for the name on the back but for the crest on the front."

Rooney's one-off return to the international fold has not been without its critics. England's record appearance-maker Peter Shilton said caps should not be "given out like gifts", while former Blackburn and Celtic striker Chris Sutton said his inclusion "devalued the international cap".

Southgate says the criticism of the Football Association's decision to honour Rooney has been a "disappointment".

"It's a shame because you want it to be a fitting tribute to an outstanding player who I think has often been undervalued in terms of how well he played for England," he added.

"Hopefully, by the time we get to the game, and him being with us next week, the focus will be on 'actually, let's think about what he did and how well he played, and there's an opportunity here to thank him for that'.

"Any opportunity for us to honour a player we will hugely respect."

Southgate added that he was yet to decide when in the second half Rooney will come on but insisted it would be before fans start "heading for the tube".

"I don't want to give an exact minute because if I don't get it right, there will be a bookmaker running a book on it," he said.

"I think it should be appropriate that people are not heading for the tubes before he comes on and also we have got out of the game what we wanted and not taking someone off too early.

"There are young players we want to see from the start - that has to be the start point. And then we are able to acknowledge Wayne's contribution after that."

England's record goalscorer Wayne Rooney will captain the side and wear the number 10 shirt when he comes on to make his farewell appearance.

Rooney, 33, retired from international football in 2017 but will win his 120th and final cap in a friendly against the United States at Wembley on Thursday.

Fabian Delph will start the match as captain but will hand the armband to Rooney when the DC United striker comes on as a substitute in the second half.

Rooney will also get a guard of honour.

The former Manchester United and Everton forward initially ended his international career with 119 caps and a record 53 goals.

But the Football Association sees Thursday's match as an opportunity to "honour" his "record-breaking international career".

Rooney will leave the squad before they face Croatia in the Nations League at Wembley on Sunday.

Manchester City player Delph said: "When I first came into the England set-up, Wayne was captain. He welcomed me and put his arm around and made me feel at home.

"As soon as he comes on, I will give him the armband back.

"It is going to be a huge night for Wayne and it is important we honour him for all of his achievements."

Manager Gareth Southgate added: "I don't want to pin an exact time on when Wayne comes on because you don't know how the flow of the game will go.

"We will give him enough so that it is fitting but we also want to make sure we get the balance of looking at younger players and making sure our preparation for Sunday is another priority.

"It's important for all of us as a group that he gets a good send-off."

'Disappointing to see Rooney have to defend inclusion'

Rooney's inclusion was criticised by England's record appearance-maker Peter Shilton, who said caps should not be "given out like gifts".

Former goalkeeper Shilton, who made 125 international appearances, said he was "surprised" Southgate had allowed the one-off return.

Rooney said he would not have agreed to play had it impacted the legacy of others, such as by "taking the record off Shilton".

Southgate, who won 57 caps, said: "It's been disappointing to see him have to defend his inclusion.

"He is very different to run-of-the-mill players like me who played for England. I spoke to the under-15s last week and they are so early in their development but he was around the senior squad when he was 17.

"I know a big regret for him was that the team didn't get to where he wanted but when you look at the pressure he had to deal with individually, it is an incredible career.

"Hopefully he has felt that warmth from all of us and I know the reaction of the supporters will be very special to him."

Rooney deserves respect and celebration - Neville

'Rooney inclusion does not devalue friendly'

Rooney left Everton to join DC United in June and led the club to the MLS play-offs with 12 goals in 21 games.

As his international career comes to an end, Callum Wilson's could begin after the Bournemouth striker was included in the Three Lions squad for the first time.

Southgate said: "We are England and every time we play we have to perform. It's about Wayne but it will be a special night because there will be some debuts.

"You don't give the England captaincy to somebody unless they really have the attributes that can carry it.

"When you see players give everything, even when they are not starting, that is great. We will have some young players involved, but so too will America, who are in a period of transition so it will be a good test."

United States interim boss Dave Sarachan does not believe England's tribute to Rooney will "devalue" Thursday's friendly.

"If he scores against us I won't be happy about the decision," he joked.

"I have thought about it because I know it has caused controversy. My opinion is different. A player like Wayne Rooney, who had such a terrific international career in terms of his national team... to have an opportunity to reward him for that as a federation... I kind of applaud that.

"It is not like he is coming out of retirement, he has had a great season in the United States. He adds a special buzz. I think it's terrific for a guy like Wayne to be rewarded."

I wish he wasn't our all time top scorer, it's a fad statistic as in earlier times people earnt less caps as there were less games and set their record in far less games than Rooney has.

He has an uncomfortably poor record at major tournaments, unlike other record holding strikers. I feel this game cheapens a cap and alienates in form strikers who deserve a chance for the future.

Edited by Foxhateram
  • Like 2

On 08/11/2018 at 20:16, Gamble92 said:

Peter Shilton needs to pipe down a bit. Did you see his "goalkeeping" at Italia 90? I cannot believe more isnt made of the fact he basically cost us that shoot out by waiting to see which way theyd go. I dont think any goalkeeper has used that tactic since (or probably before) and with good reason.

Ironic of him to be talking about giving out caps like presents. We are giving our top goalscorer a send off, just like so many other countries have. 

Don't pretend you were the best Goalkeeper in England for the last 30 odd caps you got Peter.

To be fair to Shilton, barely any penalties were saved back in the day. 

At its most extreme, in 1993/94 82 penalties were awarded in the Premier League, 80 were scored. For reference the figure last season was 56/80.

19 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

I wish he wasn't our all time top scorer, it's a fad statistic as in earlier times people earnt less caps as there were less games and set their record in far less games than Rooney has.

He has an uncomfortably poor record at major tournaments, unlike other record holding strikers. I feel this game cheapens a cap and alienates in form strikers who deserve a chance for the future.

Agree 100%. Really don't agree with him being recalled. Just a gimmick to try and sell some more tickets for a completely pointless football match.

If we wanted to honour him we could just have wheeled out a sofa at half time and presented him with a carriage clock for his service and replayed some of his goals, mostly scored against dire opponents in friendles or euro qualifiers against the likes of Macedonia and Andorra, whilst he and his family sat and watched on the big screen. After Euro 2004 his record for supposedly our best player in major finals is nothing short of abysmal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Foxhateram said:

Agreed and in terms of respect for ex plsyers, could you really consider his name next to Bobby Charlton's? A good club player and scorer of goals against mainly poor international sides. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

To be fair to Shilton, barely any penalties were saved back in the day. 

At its most extreme, in 1993/94 82 penalties were awarded in the Premier League, 80 were scored. For reference the figure last season was 56/80.

That's a very interesting stat. But just watching a 40 year old bloke hopelessly dive 10 seconds after each ball annoys me now and I wasn't even born!

Not to mention a 5 foot 6 bloke out jumped him in Mexico 86

On 08/11/2018 at 20:16, Gamble92 said:

How much of Italia 90 did you see ?

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Does the USA have any decent players?

Is Landan Donovan still playing?

Donovan has been done for years.

Christian Pulisic is more than decent - a core piece for a first-tier Bundesliga club.  Weston McKennie has also been doing quite well in the Bundesliga this season.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

How come you didn’t see how good shilts was ?  You can’t judge a keeper on one penalty shoot out ......

I just cant grasp how such an experienced and successful goalkeeper could ever think its a good idea to wait for a player to kick the penalty before actually diving. By about under 9 level you learn to guess