Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

England v USA and Croatia Pre Match "£$%%^^&*

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Why not let the likes of Wilson have a full 90 mins what is the point of Henderson, Dier and Rashford playing?

Because of the club's they play for, has to be the only reason. They don't need game time, it's all for show

Edit: half the stuff that happens/gets put on is to further fill the pockets of those with enough money for a lifetime already

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Because of the club's they play for, has to be the only reason. They don't need game time, it's all for show

Edit: half the stuff that happens/gets put on is to further fill the pockets of those with enough money for a lifetime already

Well TBF Wilson has probably played more football than those 3 have!

Some good goals and displays by the newer players.

Rooney didn't get his goal then .

4 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Was a decent enough SOCCER game, i guess. Much focus as expected on Rooney, but he played fine. 

Great effort from Chilwell and happy he survived the match without injury. Croatia game will be more of a tell how we doing though. 

Soccer is short for Association Football, an English word from the nineteenth century differentiating this type of football from rugger or Rugby football. 

It's heritage is English public school jargon.

Edited by Smudge
  • Thanks 1

The degree of condescension in this thread was a bummer.

The opponent was the US, but the match was played at Wembley, and televised mid-afternoon here -- hate to disappoint you, but the stateside audience was tiny.  Mr Potato Head's cameo was more a product of the same shit-stormers that brought you the Scudamore bonus, than of Yanks keen to devalue some already-meaningless friendly.

p.s.  Mr Potato Head played well.

p.p.s.  Our side didn't.  Yes, you're still leagues ahead of us at this sport, a top ten side in the world.  You have youngsters brimming with talent, who get a chance to play.  You're genuinely good under this manager.  Just enjoy it.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

They also put the game on behind a pay wall, an international friendly behind a pay wall.

On the same day Scudamore gets voted to be gifted 5 million

I understand and empathise with your point but one is the FA and one is the PL they have completely different aims that are incompatible apart from being gravy trains for many that run them.

More good experience for Chilwell - he's excelled himself in these opening few appearances for England. He was outstanding in Seville and played well again last night. Now Vardy has called time on his international days, it's very exciting for us to see the likes of Chilwell, Maddison and Gray getting in amongst it alongside Maguire. 

It's also very refreshing to see Southgate really experimenting with the youth available. Giving opportunities to young talent like the above, Alexander-Arnold and Sancho is really looking like it might pay off rather than letting the likes of Livermore and Jones just pick up the leftover squad spots.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, davieG said:

I understand and empathise with your point but one is the FA and one is the PL they have completely different aims that are incompatible apart from being gravy trains for many that run them.

Realised this a bit after posting it, was more trying to show the direction the game is going in general

13 hours ago, Smudge said:

Soccer is short for Association Football, an English word from the nineteenth century differentiating this type of football from rugger or Rugby football. 

It's heritage is English public school jargon.

Isn't it amazing when people mock the word soccer. A word invented in this country, used widely by sports broadcasters vocabulary many years ago, used on various computer games, used as the title for TV shows "Soccer Sunday, Soccer Saturday" "Soccer AM." Yet some weirdos can't accept the word being used. Dunno if they're being deliberately facetious or whatever.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Footballwipe said:

Isn't it amazing when people mock the word soccer. A word invented in this country, used widely by sports broadcasters vocabulary many years ago, used on various computer games, used as the title for TV shows "Soccer Sunday, Soccer Saturday" "Soccer AM." Yet some weirdos can't accept the word being used. Dunno if they're being deliberately facetious or whatever.

I have made this point before. It's taken as a modern Americanism which it really isn't. I remember when I was at school, the word soccer was frequently used. The playing fields along the then named Coalpit Lane (Aylestone to Narborough Rd) were referred to as the "soccer fields" by my grandparents.

England

• 1Pickford
  • 2Walker
  • 5Gomez
  • 6Stones
  • 3Chilwell
  • 7Barkley
  • 4Dier
  • 8Delph
  • 11Rashford
  • 9Kane
  • 10Sterling

Substitutes

• 12Alexander-Arnold
  • 13Butland
  • 14Lingard
  • 15Dunk
  • 16Keane
  • 17Sancho
  • 18Shaw
  • 19Winks
  • 20Alli
  • 21McCarthy
  • 22Loftus-Cheek
  • 23Wilson

Croatia

• 12L Kalinic
  • 2Vrsaljko
  • 6Lovren
  • 21Vida
  • 16Jedvaj
  • 10Modric
  • 11Brozovic
  • 18Rebic
  • 8Vlasic
  • 4Perisic
  • 9Kramaric

Substitutes

• 1Livakovic
  • 3Milic
  • 5Mitrovic
  • 7Brekalo
  • 13Caleta-Car
  • 14Bradaric
  • 15Pasalic
  • 17Rog
  • 19Badelj
  • 20Pjaca
  • 22Pivaric
  • 23Letica
Referee:
Anastasios Sidiropoulos

I don't think I'm going to able to watch the match :(  (Sorry Chillers)  (I'll catch the highlights, though.)  I'm really unwell atm, and I need to go to bed.  How I managed to stay up all night I don't know - (well, I do - lying down made it worse!  But I too tired now :( )

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

I don't think I'm going to able to watch the match :(  (Sorry Chillers)  (I'll catch the highlights, though.)  I'm really unwell atm, and I need to go to bed.  How I managed to stay up all night I don't know - (well, I do - lying down made it worse!  But I too tired now :( )

Get well soon.....