Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I think this will likely be very close to what happens. My feeling is that Mays deal won’t pass a second time and article 50 will be extended and it’ll drag on. Had JRM’s Brexiteers left their vote of no confidence until this moment I feel May would have been toppled. 

It really was a bad move, if her flagship policy loses by 200 votes she should be resigning and I don't think she's going to do that.

6 hours ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

I voted leave and so did the majority any other decision means that we are not living in a democratic country.

And who told you that a referendum was democratic? 

8 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I think the bigger outrage is the sale of razors retailing at 15 quid when they cost about 7p to make...

That was exactly the response Jacob Rees-Mogg gave when asked about it and I fully agree.

21 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Yep, upsetting all the usual professionally and terminally offended alt-right snowflakes so must be good.

You'd think they'd be more worried about addressing the actual cause of the high male suicide rate, viz. a societal system set up and ran by other blokes.

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

That was exactly the response Jacob Rees-Mogg gave when asked about it and I fully agree.

Much as Mogg is a daft throwback, yep, that isn't right.

The advert is ridiculous and it could only have been dreamt up in a boardroom full of white middle class liberals but I agree anyone getting upset about it is a snowflake. 

Fair play to Gillette though, they must have realised this will cost them some business and it takes balls to do something when you know that.

It's not really going to make Dad's start wrapping their children in cotton wool instead of mucking about at a BBQ though.

Edited by MattP

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

The advert is ridiculous and it could only have been dreamt up in a boardroom full of white middle class liberals but I agree anyone getting upset about it is a snowflake. 

Fair play to Gillette though, they must have realised this will cost them some business and it takes balls to do something when you know that.

It's not really going to make Dad's start wrapping their children in cotton wool instead of mucking about at a BBQ though.

If they thought that, I don't think they would have done it tbh - I think they're doing what Nike did with Kaepernick and banking on a boost from following a hot button issue.

Not entirely sure drawing attention to the cause of a lot of misery (and joy for a select few) for men and women both is ridiculous, though.

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

If they thought that, I don't think they would have done it tbh - I think they're doing what Nike did with Kaepernick and banking on a boost from following a hot button issue.

Not entirely sure drawing attention to the cause of a lot of misery (and joy for a select few) for men and women both is ridiculous, though.

Is that how you saw the advert? Fair enough - wasn't how I did. I saw it as a pretty low attempt to suggest men as a whole are complicit in something that is actually the preserve of the wealthy and the powerful. It was the sort of video I'd imagine would get a standing ovation at the Oscars. 

I very much doubt Gillette can seriously think they'll improve sales on this, getting involved in division rarely does, they might get an immediate spike ain't to the one Nike did over days from the publicity, but that will be it and the share price of that company still hasn't recovered to the level it was at when the ran the Kaepernick ad.

The video has about 45k likes and about 250k dislikes - being seen as attacking a demographic isn't going to go well for a business. Most polling even shows women are sick of the whole #metoo stuff now and how OTT it has gone.

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

You little tinker Oz !! ...    you quoting quotes I didn’t make ?!! ...     

You could get a job in politics ...    :)

lol thats an interesting event... i think quoted from a post that you quoted... it therefore attributed the quote to you???

@Mark is that right

Imagine the fun we could have :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

Is that how you saw the advert? Fair enough - wasn't how I did. I saw it as a pretty low attempt to suggest men as a whole are complicit in something that is actually the preserve of the wealthy and the powerful. It was the sort of video I'd imagine would get a standing ovation at the Oscars. 

I very much doubt Gillette can seriously think they'll improve sales on this, getting involved in division rarely does, they might get an immediate spike ain't to the one Nike did over days from the publicity, but that will be it and the share price of that company still hasn't recovered to the level it was at when the ran the Kaepernick ad.

The video has about 45k likes and about 250k dislikes - being seen as attacking a demographic isn't going to go well for a business. Most polling even shows women are sick of the whole #metoo stuff now and how OTT it has gone.

Considering the Youtube commentor clientele I'm not entirely surprised by that tbh. Wouldn't mind seeing hard numbers about the second part of that sentence too, particularly along demographic lines - I'm sure I could predict where such polls might skew among women.

I did see it that way, yeah - we're verging on the philosophical now, but whether hunger for power is solely the psychological preserve of men or not it remains that those throughout history with power and those who have abused it have (with a few remarkable exceptions) been men. I don't think that's an inherent quality (at least I hope it isn't) because a lot of blokes don't go in for that kind of thing and it does damage a lot of men too, as you say, not all of them are responsible - so as such rather than going after those who are merely highlighting what is going on, perhaps they might think better about going after those who are actually responsible?

Gillette (and Nike) are there to make money first and foremost - I honestly believe they wouldn't have done this without someone convincing the bigwigs that it was not going to cost them in the long run.

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Thought the advert was quite corny in a rather American way.

Those youtube comments though. It's a Jewish conspiracy and real men drink black coffee. Or something. 

I thought real men drank whole milk? 

I'm confused.

25 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Considering the Youtube commentor clientele I'm not entirely surprised by that tbh. Wouldn't mind seeing hard numbers about the second part of that sentence too, particularly along demographic lines - I'm sure I could predict where such polls might skew among women.

A couple here.

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/5/17157240/me-too-movement-sexual-harassment-aziz-ansari-accusation

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/public-sentiment-rising-against-accusers-one-year-after-metoo-begins-poll

Any sexual allegation needs to be taken seriously and people like Harvey Weinstein will deserve what they get.

But we can't have attempts to stop due process (Kavanaugh) or drag men upto court on frivolous evidence (too many to count from the CPS) to try and achieve this. 

Women have fathers, sons and brothers and it's natural to fear what could happen to them.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

they could see it as a way to attack the female market though, it seems a bit of an odd thing to get involved with either way

21 minutes ago, MattP said:

A couple here.

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/5/17157240/me-too-movement-sexual-harassment-aziz-ansari-accusation

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/public-sentiment-rising-against-accusers-one-year-after-metoo-begins-poll

Any sexual allegation needs to be taken seriously and people like Harvey Weinstein will deserve what they get.

But we can't have attempts to stop due process (Kavanaugh) or drag men upto court on frivolous evidence (too many to count from the CPS) to try and achieve this. 

tWomen have fathers, sons and brothers and it's natural to fear what could happen to them.

Thank you - that Vox article in particular makes for interesting reading, it is an issue of complexity and nuance and as many of the responders to that poll say you have to balance that same desire to safeguard those fathers, sons and brothers with the necessity of the movement and the ubiquity of what it is trying to address.

One paragraph in particular stands out: "But what we found in both our focus groups and our survey was that by and large, #MeToo supporters are also skeptics. They have considered — sometimes more than the average woman — the possible negative outcomes of the movement, and the ways the movement could be compromised or fail. And their thinking has led them not to calls for men to be summarily fired with no investigation or recourse, but to complex conversations about what a fair workplace would look like for men and women."

Nuance is so very, very important in matters like this.

I'm furious about that advert. I long for the days when adverts for shaving products featured less contentious imagery - you know, a bloke kicking his dog to death, throwing bananas on to a football pitch in front of a black player, pushing his wife down the stairs, getting bundled into the back of a police van, killing himself in prison etc.

I'm never shaving again, ISIS have got the right idea

11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Thank you - that Vox article in particular makes for interesting reading, it is an issue of complexity and nuance and as many of the responders to that poll say you have to balance that same desire to safeguard those fathers, sons and brothers with the necessity of the movement and the ubiquity of what it is trying to address.

One paragraph in particular stands out: "But what we found in both our focus groups and our survey was that by and large, #MeToo supporters are also skeptics. They have considered — sometimes more than the average woman — the possible negative outcomes of the movement, and the ways the movement could be compromised or fail. And their thinking has led them not to calls for men to be summarily fired with no investigation or recourse, but to complex conversations about what a fair workplace would look like for men and women."

Nuance is so very, very important in matters like this.

Very.

To be honest the debate is far too complex to be made into a virtue signalling point by Gillette and I've got no idea why they have decided to get involved.

I mean the women's range is overwhelmingly pink and called things like "Venus" and "precious" - I imagine some of the more hysterical feminists would have a problem with that.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

"All publicity is good publicity"