Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Smart TVs

I have a Vizio with "Smartcast" that means I can cast most apps like ESPN+ and NBC Gold directly to my TV plus Chromecast.

This reduces the need for apps on my TV.

I don't know whether all smart TV's have that but it would be something I'd look out for.

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1

Think of smart TVs like a computer these days. The more expensive ones have more apps, will turn on as soon as you press standby, will work with voice control (and generally really responsively) and generally navigate really quickly. The built-in speakers on some are really good now, I don't know how they do it for how thin they are

The cheaper ones, while can feature decent enough picture quality, tend to be really sluggish, will feature fewer apps or ones which are not optimised/rarely updated so barely usable, more likely to have wifi issues, and feature crap sound. Steer clear of brands you've never heard of, or ones which you won't associate with TVs. Polaroid and Blaupunkt are basically names which have been bought out, and the companies buy unbranded shit Chinese TVs and stick these names on them to dupe unsuspecting customers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Think of smart TVs like a computer these days. The more expensive ones have more apps, will turn on as soon as you press standby, will work with voice control (and generally really responsively) and generally navigate really quickly. The built-in speakers on some are really good now, I don't know how they do it for how thin they are

The cheaper ones, while can feature decent enough picture quality, tend to be really sluggish, will feature fewer apps or ones which are not optimised/rarely updated so barely usable, more likely to have wifi issues, and feature crap sound. Steer clear of brands you've never heard of, or ones which you won't associate with TVs. Polaroid and Blaupunkt are basically names which have been bought out, and the companies buy unbranded shit Chinese TVs and stick these names on them to dupe unsuspecting customers

When people were fighting over these in the Black Friday sale at Asda a couple of years ago was when I realised all was lost

• Like 1

On 04/12/2018 at 08:53, Buce said:

My daughter has asked for a 'smart' tv for her room Xmas. I've had a brief look online and there is a bewildering range of makes and prices. What should I be looking at in terms of features? Is there any good reason to pay more than the £160/170 that I've seen advertised for some?

23 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

I was going to recommend Samsung also, and I was going to suggest Richer Sounds, but the deal Daz has posted will be pretty hard to beat I would think. 

Always a great place to start ...   Richer sounds are helpful and have good deals.   There’s a smart 32inch Toshiba tv showing for £179 ...   would fit the bill nicely ...    although best to check on size first (measure how far she would be from it then go to shop stand that far away and see what you think).    I’ve just bought a slightly smaller one for the broom riders room for when she visits ...  plenty big enough even for her old eyes and fits the space nicely.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Been some years when I bought mine but do you still need to consider frame rate? Hertz? For a smoother panning picture and judder reduction when gaming and watching football/sport? 

No, she hates sport and doesn't do gaming.

She wants it mainly for Netflix and music channels.