Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Premier League Home Form Since February

7 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Bournemouth have won 1 in 6 and are still in 8th.

That tells you everything you need to know about how poor the league is outside of the top 6 and why judging our strength based on league position is not a great indicator.

Yes we're 9th and 10/15 years ago we'd have killed for that. But imagine where we'd be in the current climate with a decent manager in charge...

Still in 9th. Maybe a couple of points further forward and in 7th, but still in the same block of clubs that are essentially the second tier within the league - you've got the big six who'll be the top six barring some absolute miracle, then a crowd of 4 or 5 times who battle for 7th, never in any danger of going down but only ever going to get midtable and hope that 7th is a European spot

It is very very difficult to argue with a 15 match run of stats. I'm not going to defend the record, because it isn't great. If (as some believe) CP is trying to help the club transition, then it isn't going to just come, there will be some ineffective matches along the way. If people are impatient about that, I entirely understand.

It's a tough one as I get that the home form should be better - but what are people expecting. We are a mid table team. We should be careful what we wish for as Stoke tried to get to that next level too quickly with big name signings and ultimately got relegated. We can only hope for what we are right now with a cup run...etc. It's going to be hard for us to break into the top 6 as those teams are far superior to us and invest a lot more money into their squads.

It is because more than half the squad are still players that are completely one dimensional, unable to create anything that doesnt involve a hoof or cross. You sell Mahrez, buy nobody even close to his ability on the wing and keep playing a small pacey striker with no good alternatives at home when everyone outside the top 6 and Watford park the bus and it is no surprise we have poor home form really. The biggest mistake was letting Slimani go out on loan, or at least not buying a new target man. 

9 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

We need to have a go at teams when we are at home

even if it is rapid counter attacks as of old

this is boring let’s be honest, the stats don’t lie and most of us are bored with it now. Puel is going nowhere barring a horrific run of form before at least the summer 

however something has to change, we need to reignite the passions as we are too easy to steal points from especially at home

wr need to be entertained at home and battle for points away from home

It frustrates me more often than not we play with one recognised striker at home, no matter the opponent.

Puel is conservative in his tactics and approach in games, it’s about not losing, which is actually doing the opposite, we are conceding a lot of goals, and creating very little.

Nididi and mendy are both doing ok, but we need a attack minded midfielder in one of their places, well at least against teams around and below us.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Corky said:

No, it is relevant. Why did we win those matches then and not since? What has changed? 

That includes the new manager bounce.

Since then we have been awful.

The more recent the form the more relevant, as long as it’s a decent sample size. 

Its a terrble league for us to be as high as we are with the tedious impotent style of football we play.

10 hours ago, The Doctor said:

He didn't argue it hadn't been poor since February, but come off it, the start has obviously been picked to give it a worse spin. Let's take the last year  - Pl 19 W6, D7, L6. A far more reasonable time scale to measure (equivalent of a home campaign in essence), and it's midtable mediocrity. Selecting from the start of February is obvious spin

Mid table mediocrity you say.

Add to that uninspiring, boring, clueless tactics and between us we’ve nailed the case for getting rid of Puel. 

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

9 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Bournemouth have won 1 in 6 and are still in 8th.

That tells you everything you need to know about how poor the league is outside of the top 6 and why judging our strength based on league position is not a great indicator.

Yes we're 9th and 10/15 years ago we'd have killed for that. But imagine where we'd be in the current climate with a decent manager in charge...

With this squad? It's not that good. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Corky said:

No, it is relevant. Why did we win those matches then and not since? What has changed? 

I realise I’ve already replied to this, but I have another option.

Puel has fully implemented his tactics and got this ideas over to the players as he has had the time many people were asking to let him have; along with two transfer windows.

Therefore results and performances have been getting worse since January.

30 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Mid table mediocrity you say.

Add to that uninspiring, boring, clueless tactics and between us we’ve nailed the case for getting rid of Puel. 

You assume midtable isn't a good thing. Given a decade ago this week we were off to Carlisle in the pouring rain in a promotion battle from league one, I'm quite happy with being midtable top flight. Particularly given he's having to fix a couple of years of abysmal recruitment under Ranieri and Shakespeare

Edited by The Doctor
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

You assume midtable isn't a good thing. Given a decade ago this week we were off to Carlisle in the pouring rain in a promotion battle from league one, I'm quite happy with being midtable top flight. Particularly given he's having to fix a couple of years of abysmal recruitment under Ranieri and Shakespeare

Of course we are a club that has made great strides in the last ten years, but I don’t think that should prevent us from aiming to progress further. What happens in this respect is down to what Top wants ultimately I suppose.

I do not believe that Puel is up to much at all and there certainly are better managers than him around the globe that would do better, if nothing else in terms of entertainment 

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

1 hour ago, FoxFossil said:

Personally not even bothered about the whole Europa cup thing. Attractive, attacking, commited football and then see where we go.

At the moment looking in the garage for an old work 'yellow jacket', seems the best way to get french management to change direction. 

I wonder if Maguire, Chilwell & Maddison feel the same?

I sense that unless we finish 7th this season we may lose our talented young players.

I get the whole 'be patient' with Puel thing but how long do we have to wait? These players with a taste of the England squad want to win trophies. They won't stick around forever..

4 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Name me a squad outside the top 6 and maybe Everton that, were you to be a manager, you'd take over ours?

Eh?

This squad isn't that good, that was my point. I doubt anybody's squad outside the top 6 is that good. 

The strength in depth the top 6 have compared to the rest of us is frightening. Kane and Erkisen were brought on yesterday as subs.

Edited by Fox92
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I wonder if Maguire, Chilwell & Maddison feel the same?

I sense that unless we finish 7th this season we may lose our talented young players.

I get the whole 'be patient' with Puel thing but how long do we have to wait? These players with a taste of the England squad want to win trophies. They won't stick around forever..

It doesn't matter where we finish, if players are good and a top team wants them, then they will most likely want to go.

We could finish 3rd and the same would happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Babylon said:

It doesn't matter where we finish, if players are good and a top team wants them, then they will most likely want to go.

We could finish 3rd and the same would happen. 

Surely the'd be more likely to stay if we could offer them European football though? :dunno:

50 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I realise I’ve already replied to this, but I have another option.

Puel has fully implemented his tactics and got this ideas over to the players as he has had the time many people were asking to let him have; along with two transfer windows.

Therefore results and performances have been getting worse since January.

Results and performances worse? They haven't.