Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
coolhandfox

Goose that laid the Golden Egg.

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I get the negativity around Puel, I’m actual not his biggest fan, however I think there is a much boarder narrative to our current situation than just the manager.

Winning the League was fantastic, a once in a life time achievement, however whilst the club basked in the glory of its success, it forgot the key to it and killed the Goose that laid the Golden Egg.

The league win was forged, in the dark months of 2011 and the return of Nigel Pearson, under him we had suitability and a recruitment strategy, which seem to have a vision for short, medium and long term success. The days of heavy spending under Sven, replaced by a steady recruitment of lesser known talents, which were developed by Pearson and then later polished by Ranieri into the title winning team of 2016.

The departure of Walsh that summer seemed to signal the end of an era; the steady accumulation of talent and the recruitment of round pegs for round hole seemed forgotten. A steady stream of failures followed during next two summers, allied with the decline of key players, some of whom should have been replaced during those closed seasons resulted in the demise of both Ranieri and Shakespeare.

I personally think the sacking of Shakespeare was a watershed moment for the owners a realisation that the club had an untenable model, and a general lack of long term strategy. I think the owners have accepted they needed a longer term approach, hence the new training ground, stadium extension plans, and the employment of a manager who history is about building teams and a more rounded football philosophy.  

Whilst results and performance haven’t been great, I for one can see a change in approach, young hungry talent has been recruited, and areas of weakness have being addressed. The purchase of a number 10 in Maddison, a modern fullback in Riccardo, young up and coming Centre-backs in Söyüncü and Benković, and finally a keeper in Ward who actual seems decent back for Kasper. There has been nurturing of home grown talent in Chilwell, Choudhury  and Barnes, whilst clearing out the deadwood in Musa, Slimani, and the rest.

Pearson had 4-5 transfer windows to be successful in the championship, Puel has had two, to try and be successful in one of the most difficult league in the world. I remember many a poor performance and results under Pearson, but he was given time to produce the goose that laid the golden egg.

I actual think we are moving in the right direction, with a clear plan, let give the manager some time, because evolution takes time  

TL; DR

“PUEL OUT.”

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I get the negativity around Puel, I’m actual not his biggest fan, however I think there is a much boarder narrative to our current situation than just the manager.

Winning the League was fantastic, a once in a life time achievement, however whilst the club basked in the glory of its success, it forgot the key to it and killed the Goose that laid the Golden Egg.

I personally think the sacking of Shakespeare was a watershed moment for the owners a realisation that the club had an untenable model,

I like your positivity and even the festive goose reference  but aren't you contradicting yourself here?

I could be wrong, my tiny concentration span means that I start paying more attention to the voices in my head after the first two paragraphs.

1 hour ago, Jaspa said:

I actual too. Good & fair post

33 minutes ago, treer said:

I actual think maybe Puel come good, but needs time

Jesus Christ Almighty this forum, is that honestly the best you can do with your time, how the long winter months must fly by!!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I like your positivity and even the festive goose reference  but aren't you contradicting yourself here?

I could be wrong, my tiny concentration span means that I start paying more attention to the voices in my head after the first two paragraphs.

He's not: the "Goose" was not the holy trinity of Walsh Pearson Shakespeare, it was the long term, patient plan they had implemented. The sacking of Shakespeare, according to OP, was a moment of realisation for the ownership as they saw that abandoning their long term plan for success had led to catastrophe, and they needed the build sustainably again. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

The league win was forged, in the dark months of 2011 and the return of Nigel Pearson, under him we had suitability and a recruitment strategy, which seem to have a vision for short, medium and long term success. The days of heavy spending under Sven, replaced by a steady recruitment of lesser known talents, which were developed by Pearson and then later polished by Ranieri into the title winning team of 2016.

The departure of Walsh that summer seemed to signal the end of an era; the steady accumulation of talent and the recruitment of round pegs for round hole seemed forgotten. A steady stream of failures followed during next two summers, allied with the decline of key players, some of whom should have been replaced during those closed seasons resulted in the demise of both Ranieri and Shakespeare.

I personally think the sacking of Shakespeare was a watershed moment for the owners a realisation that the club had an untenable model, and a general lack of long term strategy. I think the owners have accepted they needed a longer term approach, hence the new training ground, stadium extension plans, and the employment of a manager who history is about building teams and a more rounded football philosophy.  

Whilst results and performance haven’t been great, I for one can see a change in approach, young hungry talent has been recruited, and areas of weakness have being addressed. The purchase of a number 10 in Maddison, a modern fullback in Riccardo, young up and coming Centre-backs in Söyüncü and Benković, and finally a keeper in Ward who actual seems decent back for Kasper. There has been nurturing of home grown talent in Chilwell, Choudhury  and Barnes, whilst clearing out the deadwood in Musa, Slimani, and the rest.

Pearson had 4-5 transfer windows to be successful in the championship, Puel has had two, to try and be successful in one of the most difficult league in the world. I remember many a poor performance and results under Pearson, but he was given time to produce the goose that laid the golden egg.

I actual think we are moving in the right direction, with a clear plan, let give the manager some time, because evolution takes time  

Very nicely written 

• Like 2

I genuinely like puel and what hes trying to do. I also understand the frustation as he does make mistakes but what managers don't. I still see us as a mid table side. The squad we've got isn't a top 6 team. I don't see anyone else doing better with the players we currently have. We are not blessed with great options if key players are out - for example vardy. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

He's not: the "Goose" was not the holy trinity of Walsh Pearson Shakespeare, it was the long term, patient plan they had implemented. The sacking of Shakespeare, according to OP, was a moment of realisation for the ownership as they saw that abandoning their long term plan for success had led to catastrophe, and they needed the build sustainably again. 

Well that makes no sense since Pearson was sacked before we won the title. 

I'm not saying that Shakespeare was the goose.  I need some clarity.  Come on @coolhandfox, what is the goose and what did the club forget?

2 hours ago, knitro said:

What I like about Puel is two things - first he prioritizes youth, which is how Leicester can eventually climb into the top 6 perennially, with a group who develop together a la Tottenham. The mercenary approach by the Oil Clubs and Man U isn't going to work here, we can't compete on spending/prestige like that and you don't want to be 1-2 bad signings away from relegation. The second thing is that he's loyal - a one club man as a player, I could see him being the one to make Leicester his club, the way Wenger or Poch have with their respective clubs.

Continuity is a very underrated virtue here on Foxtalk - visions take time to execute and as frustrating as it was to just not be at the races v. Spurs, we're still likely a season away from a more complete version of a squad which works exactly as envisioned (still have many Ranieri/Shakey era players to move). My feeling is that Puel is someone who'd rather die on principle then bend to save his own skin. He has his way and its developing a core squad whom play together for years, and not the slapdash hole-plugging exercise by a retread hoping to cling onto the job for a few seasons. He's done nothing to lose my confidence in navigating the squad from 2016 through the loss of Vichai to greener pastures. 

Oooo, surprised that hasn't elicited any replies. The thought of that is going to make some people on here insanely unhappy.

10 hours ago, murphy said:

Well that makes no sense since Pearson was sacked before we won the title. 

I'm not saying that Shakespeare was the goose.  I need some clarity.  Come on @coolhandfox, what is the goose and what did the club forget?

Sure Pearson was sacked before it was won, but he was a part of what made the club work with his influence over things like transfers. It didn't have an immediate impact, and it was beneficial (obviously) in the short term, but we  began to see the side effects after we had sacked him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Kind comments like this have no place on FT. Are you a primary school teacher?

Heheh.. thank you but me me a teacher LOL. 

As for the post, credit where credit is due, sometimes and especially after a loss it can be vitriolic on here. I'm here to try to give it some balance :D 

16 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I think the concept of being a mid table side has always been difficult for football fans ( of all teams) to swallow. Mainly as it's frustrating. Two or three weeks of being good ....followed inexplicably two or three weeks of dross.

Two lessons from history.

We had Bloomfield booed out in the 70s for mid table frustration. His replacement McLintock took us straight down in a villa/derby esque car crash season

1980s...Gordon Milne had the sole brief lto grimly stay in the division at all costs... And endure his best player flogged every season due to us shitting money on 12k crowds. He did that. Got booed out the job through utter boredom....and Bryan Hamilton subsequently nosedived us straight out of the division

I dont think you are correct about Bloomfield every one of my vintage loved watching his sides . The only time I can remember him or the team being booed was his last match which we lost 5-0 to WBA. He was not booed out finishing his contract and not choosing to renew it.

• Like 1