Sign in to follow this  
urban.spaceman

Chilwell to Manchester City

Do not believe this, but IF it were true then there is a decision to make.

Trouble is, who could come in his Ben’s place with the selling club knowing full well we just received a massive transfer fee?

3 hours ago, Gav_LCFC14 said:

That's just regurgitating the sun article mentioned above. I'm in the camp the that sun should be a banned source on FT as it's a shit source.

It is more on who the journalist is writing the story, not the newspaper itself.

if it is the chief sports writer at any of the big papers I’d be inclined to believe it.

i haven’t read the story though.

• Like 1

Unless we have Telles lined up to come in immediately, this doesn’t happen.

7 hours ago, MPH said:

if that’s true then that’s a pretty big offer...

hes had one outstanding season and i think it might be a move too soon for him... he might get away with moving to another English club  but i really think he needs to be with us for another season at least.

I think the article is probably nonsense. There were rumbles of them bidding, then articles saying we’d want £71m... then  suddenly an article saying they’ve bid £71m. Looks like some goober has just smashed the two articles together.

• Like 1

Ateltico have money to burn after the sales of Griezzman and Hernandez.

6 minutes ago, Koke said:

Ateltico have money to burn after the sales of Griezzman and Hernandez.

Antoine Griezmann hasn't been sold, reports are saying the Barcelona squad vetoed signing him.

14 hours ago, foxpleasure said:

Why should we be fair? If we end up having to sell any of our crown jewels let's at least rip the buyers off!

We can't rip any European side off. He loses value going abroad. We lose the added tax that he adds as a home grown player. 

£71 million phwoar.

If there is any truth at all in this (doubtful considering the source) it’s gonna spark some conversations.

BR will be thinking if he pays over the odds for Tierney as a replacement he could have the Tielemans money to boot and then have whatever his budget is now for a world class winger...

We can't move forward by selling to many of our best players. The reason is that were not already a top 6 club so we cannot attract suitable replacements.

We'll just hover around 8th place.

55 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

£71 million phwoar.

If there is any truth at all in this (doubtful considering the source) it’s gonna spark some conversations.

BR will be thinking if he pays over the odds for Tierney as a replacement he could have the Tielemans money to boot and then have whatever his budget is now for a world class winger...

It’s one thing having the money, quite another finding a top class winger who would want to come to Leicester.

15 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Are we really being ambitious if we sell our best players?

If we do have the ambition to challenge the top 6 clubs, then we operate they way they do, keep all the best players and pick off the best players e.g Kante, Marez when they need it. If we sell Maguire, Chillwell and Maddison, then obviously we don't have the same intent and happy to remain a wealthy mid table club.

However, I'm sure Rogers when he took on the job would have been assured that the best will stay, otherwise he would not be here.

I feel confident that we won't allow Chilwell to go this season. He still has plenty of time left on his contract and is young enough to hold his value, if we're going to buy Tielemans and a top class winger then we need to show them we're serious about trying to be a successful football club and not just make up the numbers and banking a few quid on the way.

Maguire I could see being sold. He's 26 now and that's about the age before they start to lose their value because of their age. Not many players 27 or older go for the sort of money that is talked about Maguire so the sale of Harry makes more sense on a few levels. 

• Like 2

With the euros next year, and a place in the England squad on offer, Chilwell would be mad to go anywhere that didn’t guarantee him a full match every week.  Hopefully he’ll see that and stay.  

If it means Tielemans in plus change, it's adios Ben for me. 

I refuse to believe we can't replace Chilwell for less than 15/20m quite frankly. I'm not talking about any "potential" he may have, I'm not talking about his value in terms of being an England international. I mean purely in terms of his actual playing ability as a full back now. 

You don't need a Ferrari at full back when your team is made up of Fords, replace him with someone functional and use the cash to improve more important areas of the squad. 

Holebas cost a couple million, Wolves found Doherty at Bohemians and Jonny cost 16, Lucas Digne set Everton back 20.

If we can't replace Chilwell with the change from Tielemans (or other star midfielder) and whatever a back up striker costs, our recruitment team really are shit. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If it means Tielemans in plus change, it's adios Ben for me. 

I refuse to believe we can't replace Chilwell for less than 15/20m quite frankly. I'm not talking about any "potential" he may have, I'm not talking about his value in terms of being an England international. I mean purely in terms of his actual playing ability as a full back now. 

You don't need a Ferrari at full back when your team is made up of Fords, replace him with someone functional and use the cash to improve more important areas of the squad. 

Holebas cost a couple million, Wolves found Doherty at Bohemians and Jonny cost 16, Lucas Digne set Everton back 20.

If we can't replace Chilwell with the change from Tielemans (or other star midfielder) and whatever a back up striker costs, our recruitment team really are shit. 

I kind of get what you're saying and £71m for him is quite frankly astonishing, I actually think we might see it pushed up a bit with add ons etc. I think we would probably then have to pay about £30m for Tierney and the £40m on Tielemans is sensational business. My only worry is the precedent it sets, selling Chilwell before Maguire just seems out of kilter and it shows that any of our players are attainable. We seldom take the first offer for any of our stars, look at the Mahrez deal, I honestly don't think we'd have let him go for £75-80m if that was Man City's opening offer. The only reason it was £65m was how long it dragged on over nearly 3 transfer windows. If Chilwell goes we'll be demanding more than that.

• Like 1

that rumour sounds like one of them transfer generator things you see on shit twitter accounts. 

“use your age, your star sign and your phone battery to come up with a new transfer rumour...”

”ben chilwell to atletico madrid for 71 million. sounds about right.” 

honestly wouldn’t surprise me if the sun did actually start using things like that to make headlines. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I kind of get what you're saying and £71m for him is quite frankly astonishing, I actually think we might see it pushed up a bit with add ons etc. I think we would probably then have to pay about £30m for Tierney and the £40m on Tielemans is sensational business. My only worry is the precedent it sets, selling Chilwell before Maguire just seems out of kilter and it shows that any of our players are attainable. We seldom take the first offer for any of our stars, look at the Mahrez deal, I honestly don't think we'd have let him go for £75-80m if that was Man City's opening offer. The only reason it was £65m was how long it dragged on over nearly 3 transfer windows. If Chilwell goes we'll be demanding more than that.

Totally agree on Tierney & Tielemans. That would be outstanding business. The only concern for me is it’s likely Maguire is going this summer which starts to feel a bit like a mass exodus... Maddison will get offers and we need to make a statement to convince Youri to sign. Tricky decisions to be made. 

• Like 1

@Ric Flair but why spuff 30m on Tierney?

The world is full of perfectly capable full backs, we just need a bloke who is physically fit, has reasonable positional sense and can cross a ball. We don't need him to be one of our most expensive players. 

He could be 3m from Sporting Djibouti U23s if he's not a defensive liability and we're able to manoeuvre in the transfer market for midfielders / attackers. 

Fuchs cost **** all and filled the whole for a few years. A star left back is a luxury not a necessity. 

1 minute ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Totally agree on Tierney & Tielemans. That would be outstanding business. The only concern for me is it’s likely Maguire is going this summer which starts to feel a bit like a mass exodus... Maddison will get offers and we need to make a statement to convince Youri to sign. Tricky decisions to be made. 

Yes, I agree. If anyone is going to be sold it simply has to be Maguire. Reason being he is 26 and his price is still seemingly very high. I'm not convinced there will be a taker though this summer and next summer he will be 27 and can you really see him still commanding north of £50m with a sell on clause as well to Hull? There can't be a mass exodus, but I don't fear Maddison going yet as his authority at the club just isn't the same as Maguire's etc and we could easily bat Spurs off. It's just a bad statement to make if we sold Chilwell this summer, his price is only going one way under Rodgers.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

With the euros next year, and a place in the England squad on offer, Chilwell would be mad to go anywhere that didn’t guarantee him a full match every week.  Hopefully he’ll see that and stay.  

Maybe Danny Drinkwater will share his experience of this situation?:dunno: