Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

Man City 1-1 (1-3 on penalties) post match bickering

Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

For penalties i always assumed it was those who were willing to step up and take them and not a choice by the manager? 

That happened in my Sunday league team but surely any professional side has a list of the most competent takers. 

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

The normal. I don’t feel Puel can be given much/if any blame tonight. Good subs, right time.

Stupid pens. It gets wearing that everyone blames him just cos he is a bit dull.

I thought we showed some spirit and fight to get back into the game but do you not think we would have perhaps been better off starting with the players he eventually brought on? 

Just now, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

We didnt start the game badly though. Games have their stages.

I thought our goal was a great moment and we deserved to get to the shootout

Shootout was a mess but they are 50 50 anyway

People said at the start we wouldnt compete and we'd be flattened. We were in the game to win it at the end, this should be a moment where people acknowledge Puel is better than he gets credit for.

We played well today

Proud of us, until the penos!

And also, we played well but Kelechi had a bad game. Doesnt seem confident at all

If we had Vardy it could have been much different, the rest of the team did ok and subs were great

Its obvious Vardy's fitness meant he couldnt take part today. Puel would have included him if he'd been fit

And that was our problem position. We know this already

1 minute ago, oadby.fox said:

The penalties were dreadful and you would have thought that we would know better after last year.

There is obvious room for improvement with regards to the playing squad but you have to admit that the manager sets the tone or ethos of the squad. You only have to look to Mourinho's tenure at Man U to see that different managers get different things out of their players - Pogba was immense for Juve and France but under Mourinho looked like nothing more than a ridiculously overpriced and overconfident Ndidi. 

I don't know what it is, but it seems to me like Puel doesn't really bring any competitive edge to the squad. I'm not sure if his attitude is right or if he is able to communicate effectively with the players. 

Yeh I'd agree, and the only reason I'm not shouting Puel out is the thought of getting someone like Pardew/Hughes/Moyes/insert crap British manager here. If there was a good replacement we could likely get them fine but as it stands I dont see us being able to get a good enough replacement till the summer. The likes of Rodgers or Benitez could be good options but would probably be more attainable in the summer than now. 

Just now, oadby.fox said:

I thought we showed some spirit and fight to get back into the game but do you not think we would have perhaps been better off starting with the players he eventually brought on? 

Yes, but only with the power of hindsight. Considering the performance of the players that came on as subs in the Palace game, can’t say the change wasn’t deserved.

Just now, Nicolo Barella said:

I thought the performance aside the penalties was good. Not many clubs have held City to a draw this season. Sure it wasn't all perfect (not close) and Man City didn't play at 100% with all their best players on, but their squad is easily the best in the league. Some perspective?

Not on here mate ..........

I'm still losing faith with Puel but I will give him credit for the subs he made 2nd half to go to a two-man mdifield and get Albrighton and Maddison on. I know there's the argument there that he should have started with a stronger line up but at least there was a reaction in the 2nd half from players and manager alike to respond to a tiring and inexperienced City side. It is annoying that we could have achieved much more before getting to penalties nonetheless. 

7 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

Did Puel ever learn anything from any of his mistakes? 

No very often, if at all, another question that needs to be asked of Puel.

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Posters are embarrassing themselves and the ones who are being sarcastic are merely adding fuel to the fire because the staunch ‘outers’ wont get it 

That’s not how it works Matt though, is it ........ u keep it tight and then make the changes later on to get something from the game. Man City have dropped a handful of points ..... we needed to be clever to get a result 

Because he scored in the last shoot out ?

Arguable, but I think a case could be made as was last year that Man City whilst have some big quality in there team didn't really pressure us much, they had plenty of the ball but didn't really do much with it, they were toying with us and didn't get out of 1st gear all game really, so, like last year (and of course, this is all easy to say in hindsight) play you strongest team from the start, get ahead, push on, do the work, then keep it tight, heck, we did once we'd score when the game was there for the taking, it's like we wanted to take it to penalties!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

The normal. I don’t feel Puel can be given much/if any blame tonight. Good subs, right time.

Stupid pens. It gets wearing that everyone blames him just cos he is a bit dull.

It's just another frustrating missed opportunity to claim a statement win. Like I said before, they are piling up under Puel. That's not blame, it's a fact.

6 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Yeh I'd agree, and the only reason I'm not shouting Puel out is the thought of getting someone like Pardew/Hughes/Moyes/insert crap British manager here. If there was a good replacement we could likely get them fine but as it stands I dont see us being able to get a good enough replacement till the summer. The likes of Rodgers or Benitez could be good options but would probably be more attainable in the summer than now. 

Yeah I agree as well. 

I would love Puel to turn things around and I will always support the team when I am able to attend games (or from home shouting at the TV!). I don't think it makes sense sacking him mid season unless there is a manager who would potentially be a great fit and is currently available. It tends to be better for a manger to come in during a Summer anyway and have time to assess and work with the squad. 

Just now, Matt said:

No very often, if at all, another question that needs to be asked of Puel.

Arguable, but I think a case could be made as was last year that Man City whilst have some big quality in there team didn't really pressure us much, they had plenty of the ball but didn't really do much with it, they were toying with us and didn't get out of 1st gear all game really, so, like last year (and of course, this is all easy to say in hindsight) play you strongest team from the start, get ahead, push on, do the work, then keep it tight, heck, we did once we'd score when the game was there for the taking, it's like we wanted to take it to penalties!

At the kick off with the premier league winning side playing for us, you would probably have taken that ??.

• Like 1

Went as I thought, Man City didn’t get out of first gear, which nearly cost them, we are a very poor football side, with little or no creativity, and it took a hit and hope ball, and a mistake by their young lad to equalise, good finish though.

God help us in the league game, it’s going to be a blood bath, with positive puels tactics.

This one up top is pissing me off, he gets the ball, and has no support, or the ball gets thrown in, one in the box surrounded by 4 defenders, this side has little or no goals in it, and the next few games are going to be painful 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

That happened in my Sunday league team but surely any professional side has a list of the most competent takers. 

I don't honestly know, it was always how it 'used' to be, but maybe things have changed now.

TBH it takes some balls to step up and i dont think i could do it as id be gutted if i missed, i know i'm not a professional footballer but still it must be quite nerve racking and not everyone will want to take the shot. 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

At the kick off with the premier league winning side playing for us, you would probably have taken that ??.

With the weak team we fielded yes.

As i've said if we played a stronger team I feel we could have beat them and that is what all the bickering (to use the thread title) has been about all day.

Edited by Matt