Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Carl the Llama

Man City 1-1 (1-3 on penalties) post match bickering

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I personally thought the much maligned Danny Simpson has his usual steady game. He ain’t a wing back. He’s a full back. And remains imo, our best right sided full back,

Got to agree and Ricardo is probably our best right sided winger. Wonder if we'd be any better in the league playing both of them. 

12 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

It wasn't really, we just finally put a bit of effort in. I can't think of a shot on target apart from the goal, certainly it was our only decent chance. Man City played with the handbrake on for 70 minutes.

Had we started with Albrighton, Maddison and Vardy (who I very much doubt is actually injured, I'm sure he'll play against Chelsea) then we would have won that game. You cannot praise the manager for making changes when surely it was common sense to start with these players if you had any intention to win the game. I never understood that, people lauding a manager for his substitutions as if somebody else picked the wrong starting 11 and it was out of his control.

Just another dull performance but, since that doesn't seem to matter to anyone and it's all about results, then the most important fact is we didn't get the result we needed to progress. People defend Puel when we play poorly and grind out a result though deflected goals, own goals, playing against 10 men, scoring with our only shot on target and going through in a penalty shootout after a bore-draw (all of which have happened more than once this season) so on this occassion those same people should be consistent and just accept that we lost the tie.

If however, you are one of those that thinks performances will be reflected in the results in the long term, that wasn't an encouraging one. I don't think we've been involved in a decent match all season.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Do you think even half of those players will start on Saturday?

I'm sure that's not the case. Whether you think it's our strongest line-up or not, the manager doesn't. The manager picked what he felt was a weaker team and that is pretty damn insulting to the fans, not to mention Top, since Puel said he wanted to win this competition for his father.

Do I think half of those players will start Saturday? Fuchs, Maguire, Ndidi, Choudhury, Gray and Iheanacho (that's 6 more than half)

Team he picked got a draw against possibly the best team in Europe if not the world which was shit loads more than any of us expected in our wildest dreams.

If anyone needs to apologise to Top after tonight it's Maddison, Soyuncu and Fuchs for 3 of the worst penalties you'll ever see!!

• Like 1

OK so I understand that nacho is low on confidence, however he really doesn't help himself, there were so many points of the game where he was in an offside position and made very little effort to quickly get back onside. His is not a clever footballer and his movement off the ball is very poor. He seems to drop his head at every misplaced pass to him and does nothing to encourage the team. He half heartedly closes down their defenders with no real desire. We desperately need another striker in Jan, at the very least to give him someone to play with when Vardy is out. Also... What has happened to our Wilfred? Except the fantastic ball to Albrighton, he was poor all game. 

• Like 1

Part of me used to quite enjoy Puel's stubbornness. 

There was a sort of resilient 'I don't give a shit' Frenchness about him that I sort of respected.

Now it is utterly tedious. We're shit, and my argument for investing in him before was that we were terrible under Shakespeare. 

We're just as bad now, but just in a different way. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Really struggling to warm to Maddison, theres just something very over thought about his play and he's nowhere near as good right now as he thinks he is. I hope he can iron that out otherwise he'll be a myth at this level.

I agree. I've not really understood the hype around him since he signed. 

Myth 

6 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

Do I think half of those players will start Saturday? Fuchs, Maguire, Ndidi, Choudhury, Gray and Iheanacho (that's 6 more than half)

Unless Vardy is pronounced dead before Saturday Iheanacho had better not be near the starting line up.

Something that I noted in the game was that we were very naive about Man City's offside trap. There were a lot of occasions where Ward, or one of the CBs would try a quick ball over the top, and it'd immediately break down from someone being offside. I remember Iheanacho just over the halfway line when all he needed to do was be a tiny bit further back to be onside for example. Maybe it just stuck out to me and wasn't as prominent as I remember, but I feel like we lost a lot of potential chances to get in behind them from those.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Really struggling to warm to Maddison, theres just something very over thought about his play and he's nowhere near as good right now as he thinks he is. I hope he can iron that out otherwise he'll be a myth at this level.

#JM10 ?

Edited by elvisfmcfly

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Feel sorry for Iheanacho. Idiots will slam him but he looked like playing fairly well, intelligent runs that weren't picked out, held the ball up but was hung out to dry by Gray and even more by Ghezzal not getting up to support him and give him any options. Doesn't make it easy for himself by standing off the keeper regularly having partially closed them down but he wasn't as bad as people will say. 

Ghezzal however, I don't know what he's doing in training but it must be fantastic, because he's crap during the match. So lazy and made things harder both for Simpson behind him, and Iheanacho infront of him.

Penalties were crap but we defended relatively well and were the better side second half. More of that more consistently needed

Still think Nacho could come good. But it'll be much harder with so many fans on his back.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know why we play with a striker atm.

We look clueless when getting to the final 3rd. The amount of times players good whip a good ball in or take on a player is a  positive. It's the playing it back to the goal keeper every time we get into that attacking position that is frustrating.

Would love the foxes never quit back and not this dull football.

Fed up being mad and depressed over puel week in week out.

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Still think Nacho could come good. But it'll be much harder with so many fans on his back.

He doesn't fit with the way we play. We are still looking for the Vardy run in behind or out wide. Iheanacho seems to be a link player rather than a spearhead of an attack.

Just now, don_danbury said:

nah you're probably right. i'd rather have a striker(i guess you can call him that lol) take a pen over a defender i suppose. 

He might well have, but his confidence looks shot. I think the fact we let defenders take penos is being made too much of (not trying to single you out!) - anyone can take a penalty, heck Joe Hart took a penalty in the England unders I remember a fair while back, and Hans-Jorg Butt for example was a brilliant penalty taker as a goalie! It's nothing about position really, just about your technical ability and composure imo - and whilst Fuchs, Soyuncu and Madders clearly bottled it, I don't think you can attribute that to positions - as others have pointed out, Soyuncu scored a previous shoot-out win for us and Fuchs is a regular set piece taker!