Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Recruitment under Puel

1 hour ago, Fox85 said:

Never aimed to replace mahrez because 1 it would cost to much and 2 we wouldn't get a finished article standard player or Mahrez capability.

We should be moving for Ziyech from Ajax at all costs in Jan thou before he gets taken by PSG or Real Madrid etc in a few years

Forget about Ziyech. Seriously.

He's in a good club, guaranteed to play the CL every year, highly regarded and the top clubs are keeping a close eye on him. He won't come here where he has little chance to win a title and play an European Cup.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fox85 said:

He will be much better next season.

Like knockeart was.

He was 20 years old and signed from Ligue 2

Like mahrez was.

He was 22 and signed from Ligue 2

Like Mendy is. 

He was injured throughout his first year and unavailable.

Ghezzal was signed at 26 and has been around and played at the top level in France with Monaco.  It's not really the same, he is not a raw kid on a learning curve.

I hope he does improve but I think we will have to buy again.

51 minutes ago, murphy said:

He was 20 years old and signed from Ligue 2

He was 22 and signed from Ligue 2

He was injured throughout his first year and unavailable.

Ghezzal was signed at 26 and has been around and played at the top level in France with Monaco.  It's not really the same, he is not a raw kid on a learning curve.

I hope he does improve but I think we will have to buy again.

Out dear Murphy boy.

Please feel free to only quote me on what suits you.

I stated French leagues not what league so congratulations on that one aswel.

Also we picked vardy up around 26 from Fleetwood age is just a number they just need to adapt.

Don't get me wrong I don't think he will be world class but I think he could be a valuable player to us.

Edited by Fox85

22 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Out dear Murphy boy.

Please feel free to only quote me on what suits you.

I stated French leagues not what league so congratulations on that one aswel.

Also we picked vardy up around 26 from Fleetwood age is just a number they just need to adapt.

Don't get me wrong I don't think he will be world class but I think he could be a valuable player to us.

Ignoring the condescension,  I was just pointing out that they were not like for like comparisons.  Buying kids from the French second tier is not the same as buying an established player.in his mid twenties from Monaco.

Vardy is an exceptional, if not unique case, he had to step up five or six divisions from non-league.  We can't always use that example when evaluating players.  

Edited by murphy

Just now, murphy said:

And I was just pointing out that they were not like for like comparisons.  Buying kids from the French second tier is not the same as buying an established player.in his mid twenties from Monaco.

Vardy is an exceptional, if not unique case, he had to step up five or six divisions from non-league.  We can't always use that example when evaluating players.  

We also can't always write footballers off after 500 or so minutes.

58 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

We also can't always write footballers off after 500 or so minutes.

So we can disagree.  That's OK, this is a discussion forum after all.  My assessment is not based on 500 minutes (and there is a reason it is only 500 minutes) but on a career to date.  I think we know exactly what we are getting with Ghezzal.  He is a known quantity.

Edited by murphy

If Claude can develop Ghezzal into a proper player, then we should put him on a 10 year deal and erect a statue of him outside the KP ?

Not saying he's completely rubbish, but he looks a squad player and nowhere near 1st team material.

Hope I'm wrong - over to you Claude ?

23 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Diabete - Cheap buy from the French second division. Showed early signs of promise but not impressive since then. Still plenty of time for him and could do with a loan. He was worth a punt. 

Ricardo - Quality signing. Looking the complete modern fullback at the minute. 

James Maddison - Again, quality signing and picked up for good value in the current market. 

Danny Ward - Finally, a quality backup keeper!
Johnny Evans - Experienced defender available for £3 million. Absolute no brainer. Started off shakey but has looked solid since. 

Soyuncu - Came with a growing reputation. Jury's still out as we've probably not seen enough of him to really comment. 

Benkovic - Doing very well out on loan at Celtic. 

Rachid Ghezzal - The odd moment, but generally poor. 

I believe that we could do with a couple of attacking players but I do believe that the recruitment under Puel has overall been very respectable. Thoughts? 

When you can only really criticise one of them in Ghezzal, who has had little time to impress, that's not bad at all. Diabate was cheap and is still young so let's discount him.

I think the other players in the list make us a much stronger outfit for the future, based on what i've seen, i think we can trust the clubs scouting and recruitment process.

39 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

If Claude can develop Ghezzal into a proper player, then we should put him on a 10 year deal and erect a statue of him outside the KP ?

Not saying he's completely rubbish, but he looks a squad player and nowhere near 1st team material.

Hope I'm wrong - over to you Claude ?

Looked good potentially in the 10 role and has more about him than Nacho.

Ghezzal has a bit of ability about him, he is fairly poised on the ball and can pick a decent pass every now and again. But it's not at a special level where you can forgive his faults like you could with Mahrez.

He has no pace, no dynamism, no physicality and to me looks like he lacks a bit of heart.

He could be useful coming off the bench where we are chasing games. I just don't see where else he will fit in and make a consistent contribution aside from that.

Not splashing out on a quality wideman was our one big oversight in the summer.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

We had the fourth lowest net spend in the premier league for the summer transfer window. The fact that we're only one point off where we were at this stage last season is decent. The football under Puel does sometimes make for hideous viewing, but the club is in a steady position under him. 

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Most of the signing under him have been made by the club rather than the manager.

Ghezzal and Diabete were made because the manager insisted despite reservations from the scouting team.

Hmm. Why did we not much look for youth since 2 season ago considering we have same recruitment staff? 

Why there are the likes of madison and Ricardo who were talking about the manager before signing? 

And why ghezzal is manager signing? Is this because he's not impressing yet? 

Edited by Hanan96

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Most of the signing under him have been made by the club rather than the manager.

Ghezzal and Diabete were made because the manager insisted despite reservations from the scouting team.

And Ricardo who said he signed because he wanted to work under Puel? Rudders?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Foxxed said:

And Ricardo who said he signed because he wanted to work under Puel? Rudders?

You dont think tripling his wages and offering two times more than any other club might have swung it?

Macia recommended Ricardo. Puel was keener on signing Bouna Sarr initially.

19 hours ago, Hanan96 said:

Hmm. Why did we not much look for youth since 2 season ago considering we have same recruitment staff? 

Why there are the likes of madison and Ricardo who were talking about the manager before signing? 

And why ghezzal is manager signing? Is this because he's not impressing yet? 

The summer before they were looking at young players. We have done it for a while - Ndidi, Amartey, Gray, Iheanacho and Maguire all young and all signed before.

We still signed Evans this summer so it's hardly a complete departure from our previous policy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

You dont think tripling his wages and offering two times more than any other club might have swung it?

The summer before they were looking at young players. We have done it for a while - Ndidi, Amartey, Gray, Iheanacho and Maguire all young and all signed before.

We still signed Evans this summer so it's hardly a complete departure from our previous policy.

That's different. 

Amartey and gray were just a fraction of our transfer budget. Majority of the money were spend on peak players like slimani, musa, iborra and silva. They are signed as youngsters. Maguire and Ndidi are young yes, but Ndidi only brought after we have 6 months period without adequate ball winners. Only maguire and Iheanacho who are comparable to most of our signing at the current season. 

Now we have Ricardo, Madison who are youth signed for first team like maguire did. We have benkovic who were developed as loanee in celtic for the next season and soyuncu who are slowly Introduced to first team. 

Amartey were signed as defender and become a stop gap central midfield only because lack of option and got replaced as soon as we have option. Gray took 2 years to start getting proper game run. (and will be longer if shakey staying) Those player are signed more for development sides like diabate and kaputska instead of planned signing for the first team. 

Our planed first team signing were those 27++ years old mentioned signing instead of 24-- years old signing like we have now. 

Evans? Lol he's signed for 3.5 mill. Just bit around gray and lower than amartey. 

To say we did same policy over 3 season is just blind folded

55 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

The wording here is suggestive. Puel knew Sarr, so recommenderd him "initiallly". Then Macia touted Ricardo and the club went with him and rightfully so.  Some of the noises coming out of the club sound like people there want to take credit for themselves and away from Puel. 

Puel at least had been persuaded that Ricardo was a good buy because he clearly rates him highly and has made him integral to our attack, and defense