Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes_rule1978

Post Match: City 0 - 1 Cardiff

8 minutes ago, steflcfc said:

This is what football is all about, highs and lows.

Man City don’t have a divine right to beat us like we don’t Cardiff.

They sat back, their keeper kept them in the game, and a wonder strike with pretty much only attempt flew in the top corner got them 3 points.

Similar circumstance like when we played Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, harrassed and took our main chance and came away 1-0 winners with a bit of luck.

Todays game just highlights the limitations within our squad.

We seriously lack creativity in the middle of the park, Mendy and Ndidi dont have anything to offer attacking wise.

We looked to Mahrez before and now we are relying on Maddison in his first season in the Premiership and it’s a big ask of him to be our only outlet.

Puel knows this....and I’m sure he is looking to get this area of the squad sorted.

Changing Puel isn’t the answer, we will still have the same limitations with this squad for a few transfer windows yet, so this stop start performances will continue.

Im happy to give Puel time to get the balance of the squad right and things will fall into place given time.

Only thing I would say to this (I agree with most of it) is the stubbornness of Puel is massively impacting us. Yes, there is limitations but he is seemingly not prepared to alter that, I might be wrong but I cant see us bringing Barnes back and/or going out and getting 2-3 new players next month which we need. Refusing to change formation today when 0-0 after 60 mins was criminal.

And so the debate goes on... Those who defend Puel will point out our league position of 8th and say "be careful what you wish for", but the reality is we are just 3 points better than 13th. Had we not won against Chelsea and Man City (results we cannot continue to rely on) Puel would have been out tomorrow. What will determine our final league position will be how we perform against dross like Cardiff at the bottom and the teams around us. Failure to pick an attacking lineup, playing at a slow tempo with sideways and backwards passing and not pressing higher up the field will not do the job. Unfortunately, I fear Puel is too stubborn to change his cautious, negative tactics, and counter-attacking wins, when the opposition dictate the tactics (Man City, Chelsea), will not paper over the cracks anymore than the missed penalty by Maddison would have done today. We have the most talented young squad outside the top 6 and after a whole year of watching Puel I see little evidence to suggest he is the man to take this club forward? His negative tactics, failure to motivate and poor man-management will be his downfall, as he consistently fails to take advantage of the numerous opportunities he's had to build some real momentum; two potential league cup final appearances, 7th place last season and this. If he doesn't learn from his mistakes the Puel in or out debate will be moot as the board's patience will run out.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Not sure how that would have stopped Soy and Vardy from having 'howlers' (I am sure the former just flat out didn't have a 'howler' anyway). It wasn't the formation at fault for Vardy's touch, or Albrighton blowing by the end of the first half. But of course if those two hadn't started...

I'd argue the only thing Iborra is the answer to is the question 'who was that handsome man who just had the ball nicked off him again'. He's the very opposite of 'urgency', which would be fine if he'd shown any real quality, whereas he's been pretty much anonymous. 

I just cannot understand why people can't look at the previous two games and see two mentally expensive 'front sixes' have the same problem against us that we had against Cardiff. Today we had 14 shots, 7 of which were on target, and a penalty. It's so not the 'utter shit' it's being described as.

No, it wouldn't have helped their individual performances. But it would have increased our chances of winning the football match.

Iborra himself isn't the most 'urgent' player. But the change in formation that change would have allowed, would have given more space to Pereira and Chilwell to move forward into, which would in theory provide us with more momentum going forward.

Instead we just changed individuals for slower, more ponderous individuals in the same, laboured formation.

Great/historic wins against Chelsea and Man City, but the pattern continues I'm afraid. As much as Puel does most things correct against the bigger teams, teams which will attack and leave spaces wide open for 90mins, he has yet to find something which works against mid/lower teams who are going to sit back and defend/counter us.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Then he should have come here under his own terms and conditions stating he gets to say the players he wants. Any manager so hamstrung is not really a manager at all and can't possibly function in the correct manner.  

You're just making random sh*te up now. Absolute black cab driver drivel.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ian S said:

No he left him out for tactical reasons, it has been discussed in detail on local radio because it was seen as so bizarre a statement.

If so,I am willing to take my critic back....I went on early gameday reports....That some players were ill,including players who were selected in previous games,

plus Evans...

Will never understand why we start at home against lesser teams with one up top surely we should be attacking these teams as we know that they will sit back we’re making it easy for them ps don’t rate gray at the moment does not work hard enough disappears for large times in the game he’s a luxuary we can I’ll afford.

Just on way back to Cardiff after the game. Services full of happy Cardiff fans - who were excellent fair play during the game - including my younger son who has won bragging rights after their victory. 

We probably should have won it with the amount of possession and chances, not to mention the penalty - an appalling miss. 

Our problems are in midfield with no one with the necessary creativity and attacking prowess. Vardy had to play with his back to goal for long spells.

Maddison was OK in the first half but disappeared after the break until the penalty. Mendy and Ndidi play too deep and do not complement each other well unless there is another creative outlet. 

Ricardo was our best player by far. Soyuncu did well until his first error then lost his head somewhat.

Had the penalty gone in, the points would have been ours. But there was a sense of inevitability about their winner after that. Fair play to them. They did what they needed to do. 

• Like 2

This result is why I want Puel out 

infuriating tactics and team selection no consistency.

Get this Puel lover boys I guarantee if we stick with him we will be no better off this time next season because he does’nt have what it takes to make this team consistent enough to break into the top 7 season after season.

2 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Just on way back to Cardiff after the game. Services full of happy Cardiff fans - who were excellent fair play during the game - including my younger son who has won bragging rights after their victory. 

We probably should have won it with the amount of possession and chances, not to mention the penalty - an appalling miss. 

Our problems are in midfield with no one with the necessary creativity and attacking prowess. Vardy had to play with his back to goal for long spells.

Maddison was OK in the first half but disappeared after the break until the penalty. Mendy and Ndidi play too deep and do not complement each other well unless there is another creative outlet. 

Ricardo was our best player by far. Soyuncu did well until his first error then lost his head somewhat.

Had the penalty gone in, the points would have been ours. But there was a sense of inevitability about their winner after that. Fair play to them. They did what they needed to do. 

Hear hear .... bitter pill to swallow though it is the deserving team won, determination to the very-bitter end.  Shame is we now have the autopsy and self-destruction followed by sack the manager!  As you say Sir; they did what they needed to do.... bring on the next game and hopefully three points ?

17 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

And so the debate goes on... Those who defend Puel will point out our league position of 8th and say "be careful what you wish for", but the reality is we are just 3 points better than 13th. Had we not won against Chelsea and Man City (results we cannot continue to rely on) Puel would have been out tomorrow. What will determine our final league position will be how we perform against dross like Cardiff at the bottom and the teams around us. Failure to pick an attacking lineup, playing at a slow tempo with sideways and backwards passing and not pressing higher up the field will not do the job. Unfortunately, I fear Puel is too stubborn to change his cautious, negative tactics, and counter-attacking wins, when the opposition dictate the tactics (Man City, Chelsea), will not paper over the cracks anymore than the missed penalty by Maddison would have done today. We have the most talented young squad outside the top 6 and after a whole year of watching Puel I see little evidence to suggest he is the man to take this club forward? His negative tactics, failure to motivate and poor man-management will be his downfall, as he consistently fails to take advantage of the numerous opportunities he's had to build some real momentum; two potential league cup final appearances, 7th place last season and this. If he doesn't learn from his mistakes the Puel in or out debate will be moot as the board's patience will run out.  

I stopped reading after this. What a ridiculous thing to have as an argument lol 

Just got back. Haven't read the previous 7 pages but here's what I think (for what it's worth):

- Credit to Cardiff, they frustrated us, they were organised and as much as I can't stand Warnock, he knew exactly how to beat us. Let us have the ball, keep tight to Vardy and Maddison and sit back.

- We played some nice football and I don't have a problem with us trying to be more possession-based but there has to be more variation to our play. Goals generally come from chaos and uncertainty.  We played some neat stuff today but Cardiff always had the time to get organised and we rarely pulled them out of their shape. I think we have to mix it up more and go long / direct more often and keep the opposition guessing.

- Ndidi needs a rest. He's a cracking player but in shite form. Surely Chowdhury in and Wilf out would've made more sense?

- Iheanacho can't play up front on his own. He offers nothing. Doesn't help when the regular wingers have been withdrawn from the game.

- Last thing and worst thing. I was bang in line with the penalty when it was given and in that second it was given, they all turned their backs. No-one wanted to take that pen and that's unacceptable. 

• Like 2

Just now, Paddy. said:

.Last thing and worst thing. I was bang in line with the penalty when it was given and in that second it was given, they all turned their backs. No-one wanted to take that pen and that's unacceptable. 

Iheanacho was on the spot waiting for the ball. Think he wanted it but Maddison insisted it was his.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the messenger said:

Get this Puel lover boys I guarantee if we stick with him we will be no better off this time next season because he does’nt have what it takes to make this team consistent enough to break into the top 7 season after season.

Unless we spend many ££ in the summer no manager is going to break us into the top 7 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

we were pretty average but should have won. but then they scored. not really worth crying about

I think this is the thing which concerns most, not the scoreline. The consistently average performances against teams NOT in the top 6.

Edited by bfox

I don't get why people are so shocked that we played so badly. We've been playing poorly all season. 

For a while now, the argument has been wether it's acceptable to trade a good league position for potentially better football. Wins against Man City and Chelsea don't change that. 

We either stick with Puel and be content with poor football in return for being a solid mid table side or we look for a more exciting manager and way of playing,risking being worse off than we are now. Puel isn't going to change his way of playing, regardless of who we beat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, the messenger said:

So Puel can guarantee us 8th next season as well? Thats not bad. Keepimin

6 minutes ago, the messenger said:

I guess you could also say we wouldnt be better off without him too though. Who knows. We are doing as well as we probably should be doing, the title win has just warped expectations.

We had enough chances to win but as has often been the case this season we fail to finish, too many of our passes are incomplete even when not under any pressure, Soyuncu can't seem to pass long and most of our throws ins as they have been for decades are totally useless we might just as well let the opposition have them. Oh and have we ever scored from a Maddison corner and how come Maguire seems to get his head on nearly all the England ones but none of ours.

• Like 3