Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Newport post match thread 2- 1

I hope that some on here finally now see that James is not the answer to our midfield woes and will not ever be a long term, first 11, midfield option for us.

I thought we had enough to chances to probably win it but they were spirited as you would expect and we often played into their hands with long balls and sideways passes. I would've brought Ricky on personally and probably started with a slightly more positive lineup but you have to admit that the players could have also done a lot better. Our league position is great for now but performances like that always threaten to derail whatever momentum we are building up. It never looked like we wanted (or were likely) to push for Europe in the league so it is disappointing to put out two weakened sides in the cup games either side of Christmas.

What are we going to do with Kelechi? I wish we could find him a championship club to go to on loan but I doubt any would take him and in any case we would be left with just Vardy up front. 

We're 1-0 nil down we have one of the best players in the league at the moment on the bench, one who can create things. Ricardo. What does Puel do? Brings on King and puts Albrighton at right back. King who last played 12 months ago who has been told he can leave who isn't even in the 25 man squad. Why start James who hasn't played for 10 months. Looked like we were treating the game as a chance to get a few players a bit if game time instead of treating it seriously.

• Like 1

That’s a result that had been coming. We rode our luck against Fleetwood last year. You can’t keep putting out weak teams in the cup competitions, eventually you will come unstuck.

Worse than the humiliation is the fact our season is essentially over. We are now no longer competing in a competition we have a chance of winning. We have rested players for meaningless league matches which will determine where exactly we will finish between 7th and 12th. Who cares.

There is no excuse for that. It’s not good enough to say that team should have beaten Newport. It didn’t. Nothing staunch Puel defenders will say can change that. The manager always, always takes responsibility.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Ross-Kemp said:

People blaming Puel.

That side should have been more than capable of beating Newport.

Morgan, Simpson, Fuchs, Iheanacho, James, Ghezzal & Okazaki were simply not good enough. 

Was it Puel’s fault the players shown no fight, no passion, no urgency?

Was it his fault Ghezzal didn’t play the ball to Iheanacho in the first half? Was it his fault Okazaki missed 2 sitters? 

Disagree, where did you think the goals would come from, Nacho and Okazaki?? Come on, they would struggle as a pair in league 1.

8 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Genuinely feel like I’ve just been punched in the stomach. 

We wont learn from our mistakes, that’s the worst thing.

puel wont learn - when things go wrong he says it is bad luck that his inspirational brand of foot ball some how got thwarted

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

That's the squad he's been left to an extent. What options do we have? Beyond Vardy there's no senior striker (Nacho is clearly a number 10, Okazaki is past it), we've got 3 senior wingers who are probably good for 5 assists a season between them. Squad depth is appalling

I agree with you that we need to bring more goals into the squad.

But with hindsight do you think Puel might have brought Pereira on over King, who at this point in his career offers nothing?

3 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Yaaaa sack him now. .... why let him spend more? Save it for the next guy

Why? Because he's made some decent signings for us.

I'm completely split after tonight, we're 7th in the league which is the perfect position for us, we've beaten Chelsea, Man City and Everton in recent weeks, in those games he changed formation and it worked for us.

Today our back up players got another chance and failed to perform, yet again it's certain players that are letting us down.

We had enough chances to win that today yet our finishing was piss poor, that's not Claude's fault, it's not Claude's fault that Albrighton had a brainless moment. 

PUEL OUT NOW.

we are a joke. No passion or fight. 

Cant see any new players coming in, in this transfer window.

i don’t normally call for a manager to be sacked and support the club no matter what.

however we look a joke. Resting players in the quarter finals of the Carabo cup and then put a side like that out today. 

No respect for the cups or the fans.

we will be lucky to hold on to 7th with this clown in charge. 

We had enough chances to win 3 games but as usual quality in front of goal was atrocious. We could have been 3 up before they even got out of their half. 

I would have have picked a similar team to be honest so don’t want to blame Puel too much, fact is our depth is terrible, particularly up front. I don’t even think it was lack of effort, just not good enough. 

Credit to Newport, put bodies on the line and deserved it. 

4 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

I think the decision to bring King on summed it up.

Looking for a goal, leave Ricardo on the bench, bring on a bloke who hasn't played for us in over a year.

Probably because it was a sub for James. Choudhury would have been a one man centre midfield.

Just now, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

No idea why James played when we have Silva and Iborra, manager to blame for that decsion, Gray should have started, he surely didn’t need a rest, such a wasted opportunity again, squad not good enough, overly loyal to the ageing title winning players and some very poor recruitment since we won the league 

Did James play?

Why on earth did the club give him the long contract extension

Some of the decisions the club has made in recent times have been laughable.

Just now, Kitchandro said:

That’s a result that had been coming. We rode our luck against Fleetwood last year. You can’t keep putting out weak teams in the cup competitions, eventually you will come unstuck.

Worse than the humiliation is the fact our season is essentially over. We are now no longer competing in a competition we have a chance of winning. We have rested players for meaningless league matches which will determine where exactly we will finish between 7th and 12th. Who cares.

There is no excuse for that. It’s not good enough to say that team should have beaten Newport. It didn’t. Nothing staunch Puel defenders will say can change that. The manager always, always takes responsibility.

except when things go wrong Puel says it is bad luck that his inspirational brand of foot ball some how got thwarted

No passion or urgency from any of the players today really. 

Wheres that fighting spirit that used to epitomise us, and make fans so proud to be supporting the club? so many players jogging about, not staying switched on, seemingly not giving a toss about winning the game.

“Winning a trophy for Vichai?” Where was the desire to do that? The lads should be ashamed tonight. 

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

No idea why James played when we have Silva and Iborra, manager to blame for that decsion, Gray should have started, he surely didn’t need a rest, such a wasted opportunity again, squad not good enough, overly loyal to the ageing title winning players and some very poor recruitment since we won the league 

To me, it indicates that both could potentially be off this month, with Benalouane following shortly after.

It says a lot when you deny two very experienced international players a place on the bench, and go for Matty James and Andy King instead.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Love you guys but bore off.

We were very unlucky and kudos to Newport who did exactly what was needed to win.

What this game has shown is we are need more depth in the squad and many players cleared out.

You make your own luck in football, we just got played off the park by a bunch of Welsh binmen comfortably, it took a  lucky punt to get us back into the game and then gifted it straight back, the players didn't want it today and its down to the manager to inspire them to want to win this, he didn't want it so we didn't win .

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

To rest some of the first-teamers.

That's what a squad is for but I do think that we should have gone stronger.  Nacho and Shinji were about as threatening as a kitten in a brandy glass.

Yes we played  a player clearly not match fit and at 1-0 down we bring on Andy King who is not even in the 25 man squad.. Says it all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Sorry, Suze, but that's bollox.

We weren't unlucky, we were spineless - Newport simply wanted it more than the bunch of overpaid dross we fielded today. I've seen some embarrassing Cup exits in my time but that caps the lot. Unfit to wear the shirt.

Porque no los dos? How about, we were spineless, AND unlucky. 

That result is a real low for Leicester city and will live on for many years as an embarrassment to our club and supporters long after the players and manager have departed the club.

I was there as a teenager when we lost to Harlow in the FA cup but Leicester of today are a far better established top flight club.

The loss is bad enough but the performance was a total embarrassment for anyone contacted with our club, I wish I could stop supporting this club but I am born and bred Leicester and it hurts.