Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Newport post match thread 2- 1

Just now, Nickfosse said:

Right, so a player struggles and it’s Puel’s fault, and they improve it’s got nothing to do with him. 

And taking your argument of match practice, shouldn’t you applaud Puel for selecting them then?

5 minutes ago, mucfox said:

These players got better through match practice. Certainly not, because CP has shown them his tricks and skills. Maybe you should ask Jamie Vardy if he has learned anything from CP.....

No point in arguing with someone clearly quite deluded to be honest @Nickfosse

@mucfox I get the impression you don't like Puel? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Right, so a player struggles and it’s Puel’s fault, and they improve it’s got nothing to do with him. 

And taking your argument of match practice, shouldn’t you applaud Puel for selecting them then?

CP does not have such al large selection of capable players either. These players would have let you play too...

2 minutes ago, mucfox said:

CP does not have such al large selection of capable players either. These players would have let you play too...

Well he was selecting Chilwell last season when many on here were urging him to play Fuchs, started Mendy when plenty wanted Iborra or Silva to partner N’Didi, and played Pereira at right back after Amartey was injured when he was written off and people were suggesting Simpson. 

We should’ve beat them. The team was strong enough. We created enough chances. What has cost us is a brain dead decision from one of our most experienced players. 

The players need look at themselves though. A few in particular. Maddison. Cut the fancy shit out. Every pass was outside the foot. Why does everything need to be flash? 

Iheancho. This isn’t Man City where everything’s on a plate. Put yourself about a bit. Chase balls down. 

Albrighton. Stop whipping deep balls into the box when no-one is there. 

James should’ve never started. What a crazy decision that was. Especially on a cow field with his injury record. 

For the people moaning that we aren’t gonna win another trophy. Yes I’m annoyed too but it’s not just down to the manager. As a bunch of professional footballers surely all the motivation you need is to win a trophy (especially when you’re handed what looks an easy tie)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bert said:

We should’ve beat them. The team was strong enough. We created enough chances. What has cost us is a brain dead decision from one of our most experienced players. 

The players need look at themselves though. A few in particular. Maddison. Cut the fancy shit out. Every pass was outside the foot. Why does everything need to be flash? 

Iheancho. This isn’t Man City where everything’s on a plate. Put yourself about a bit. Chase balls down. 

Albrighton. Stop whipping deep balls into the box when no-one is there. 

James should’ve never started. What a crazy decision that was. Especially on a cow field with his injury record. 

For the people moaning that we aren’t gonna win another trophy. Yes I’m annoyed too but it’s not just down to the manager. As a bunch of professional footballers surely all the motivation you need is to win a trophy (especially when you’re handed what looks an easy tie)

Don't feel Iheanachos effort was bad. He often picks the wrong options or his teammates don't play to his strengths. But unlike Vardy he cannot fashion anything on his own, which I feel we can demand of him. 

Regarding Albrighton, I agree, but we were looking rather toothless and at least two of the chances we fashioned second half was from a long ball forward. I think this says more about our general attacking play than Albrighton though. 

I don’t what was worse, The pensioner infront of me with his foil FA Cup on the 83rd minute only to be giving Ghezzal the V’s and being told to **** off of our absolutely honking performance.

Either way, as pissed off as I was I genuinely found it hilarious. 

Are people seriously comparing this to the Wycombe debacle? Against Wycombe we lost at home to a lower division team in a quarter final with our best available team. Today, we've lost very unfortunately with a shadow team. Whether we should have played a shadow team is debatable but I reckon you'd find that most PL teams made more than the 7 changes we made today. Just wasn't our day. 99 times out of 100 we'd win that game, based on possession, chances, etc. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Anyone who is saying this gives us the chance to concentrate on the league now, can fook off

Today is a shocking defeat that will go down in the annals of our history as a major upset.

It's only being said because we're out of the Cup.

I think you'll find all comments before the game kicked off were that we could be positive and be hopeful of a cup run. I genuinely didn't see any posts beforehand, either on here or on Twitter, that was still prioritising the league over the cup. Realistically it would've been the case that we could compete in both competitions. 

No one is denying that it's a shocking defeat and a major upset, either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

I am, I'm having chick pea curry, saag, panneer, rich and chapattis for dinner

Im having rice, yellow dhal and fried amritsari fish. 

4 hours ago, kingfox said:

Team selections that are shocking?

Everyone was creaming their pants when he changed it and we won against Chelsea, Man City and Everton.

4-3-3 might be the way forward after all, the selection today could've been better but the side was strong enough to beat Newport, we had enough experience out there today to get the job done.

Just a shame that Okazaki and Iheanacho are useless.

To be fair i cream my pants often outside of the football.

4 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

People on Foxestalk have massive bellends

Howd you know!?!? Lol

This loss is on management and players equally. Daft team selection, shitty execution of whatever the game plan was (punt it anywhere?).

Well done to Newport.

• Like 1

I’m not CPs biggest fan but the team was strong enough to win. I was surprised with the Matty James selection though. 

It it was a massive game for Newport and they did get some luck. We’re not th only ones who’ve lost today to lower league opposition.

Shame though the FA Cup still alludes us

Puelverised!

Haha, only joking, couldn’t resist it. Probably been used before anyway. Couldn’t actually watch the match but woke up to see the match thread was 62 pages! Either very, very good, or very, very bad. Mystery solved.

Obviously not quite gone to plan, but how did Hamza do?

Congratulations to Newport. Players should donate a week’s wages to charity.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

5 hours ago, SixtiesFox said:

Agree there is a lot of dead wood that needs to be got rid of. However, the manager must optimize the talent at his disposal by integrating players lacking match fitness and or lacking in confidence effectively. Looking at the team he threw out there today it is hard to make a case that he did that.

This is my point. I don't think he has the players to do this. We really only have a handful who can do intricate passing and movement, Maddison, Maguire, maybe Periera and Chilwell. He can't play them twice a week and has to rotate. There just aren't enough skill players in the squad. 

I'm not putting it all on Puel but I'm not having him excused in this either. We went to Fleetwood last year with a very similar set up and were lucky to not be on the end of embarrassment there as well. I had plenty tell me I was wrong in the pre-match thread to not want mass changes - well, there you have it. Shock, horror as players who barely get a kick together haven't got a ****ing clue how to open a team up. The individual performances were largely a disgrace but we gave Newport a chance and they took it. Why on earth do we do it? Our squad hasn't got depth, it's the biggest myth going on this place that we do.

We asked for trouble and we got it. I've got no sympathy for Puel - he should've known a load of them aren't close to good enough. Far too many gambles. 

7 hours ago, Buce said:

You don't concede two goals to a pub team by being unlucky. You don't lose second balls to a pub team by being unlucky. You don't go through ninety minutes against a pub team without scoring all but a screamer by being unlucky. It happens because you have no pride. If any of that bunch of overpaid twats had any pride, they would give this week's wages to charity.

The pub team that held Spurs last year?

I understand the upset, but that is harsh...

• Like 2

Bit unlucky really, Albrighton will be devastated. :( More questions on selection than answers as well.

If Nacho was a horse, someone would have done the decent thing by now. Of course, the service was pretty rubbish for him, several times I thought he made good runs whilst others blazed over, or failed to look for the runner.

He is painful to watch, and I'm sure he knows that. Neither a target man nor blessed with pace or stamina, it is hard to see how CP can depend on him as an effective back up for the rest of the season.

I wanted us to win but at the end of the day I'm happy for Newport, the win is a huge financial boost for them & lets be honest in that League One & Two are the forgotten end of English Football. While TV throws money at the premier league, the lower leagues are left to struggle so more power to Newport & good luck in the next round.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheStig said:

You seem to thrive on the fact that we lost. Are you a fan or just trolling?

If course I'm not happy we lost. Some of the overreaction in here drives me mad though. Because we went out early in the FA Cup, our season is over and we're playing in the Championship soon, apparently. I can't take that seriously. 

3 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

The pub team that held Spurs last year?

I understand the upset, but that is harsh...

Meh, poetic licence.

Let's not kid ourselves that they are a good team - they are not even a good second division side. Any half-decent Championship side would have beaten them comfortably. What they had was pride and energy, something that was totally absent from that team of overpaid twats that represented us.

• Like 1

Seems many of the players are as deluded as many of the posters on here as they seem to believe they are way better than they actually are ......

you win win games at any professional level initially in the head .... mental approach and preparation...... I suspect very few of our squad had done either correctly and the manager etc may not be without blame there either 

i bet morgan didn’t even know who the guy who ran off the back of him was .......never mind whether that was something he looks to do in games and is good at ...... did Fuchs know that the winger had a bit of pace about him  ........ how did we prepare to get at their defensive set up (though perhaps their change from 3 to 4 at the back caught us out in that regard) 

simply not good enough .....the second team have scored very few goals this season in reaching the league cup quarter finals but a clean sheet yesterday should not have been beyond their capability with concentration and application 

• Like 1