Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Southampton (H).. pre match thread

5 hours ago, Blue'nWhiteFox said:

We got to win this one, being both the home side and having a higher position level in PL. 

I'll be very dissappointed if not. 

Could say the same about Cardiff.

Lets' hope is it is more exctiing than the League Cup game we played against them a couple of months ago.

If they come and defend prepare yourself to be disappointed as we struggle to break sides down who defend with any idea of organisation.

Usually I would agree with you but our home form in the last 12 months has not been very inspiring.

This will be hard. We suck at being proactive and are recently historically better at being reactive (to the other teams play, I.e.. counter attacking)

Fancy this is why Puel wants a lot more creativity on the cheap, hence bringing back Barnes, hence getting the as yet unproductive Ghezzal, with the occasional flourish like Maddison.

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

This will be hard. We suck at being proactive and are recently historically better at being reactive (to the other teams play, I.e.. counter attacking)

Fancy this is why Puel wants a lot more creativity on the cheap, hence bringing back Barnes, hence getting the as yet unproductive Ghezzal, with the occasional flourish like Maddison.

dont forget cronic  out of form gray

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Anybody in their wildest dreams think Barnes will start?

Not impossible, but massively unlikely.

Part of me thinks you are better off starting him in games (not this week necessarily), because if we actually get ahead in the game it's unlikely he'll come on. He'll just be used when we're chasing games.

• Thanks 1

They are depleted, smell blood.

Kasper

Simpson/maguire/soyunchu/chilwell

Ricardo/ndidi/maddison/albrighton

Barnes

Vardy

Long up front for them, soyunchu more mobile than Wes. Need more creativity in midfield, Riccy higher up pitch for today.

Nothing to lose.

If it’s got to be 4231... I’d love to see the team without Ndidi and having Hamza instead for his ability to kick a football.

Ricardo Soyunco Maguire Chilwell

Mendy Choudhury 

Barnes Maddison Albrighton 

Vardy 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

If it’s got to be 4231... I’d love to see the team without Ndidi and having Hamza instead for his ability to kick a football.

Ricardo Soyunco Maguire Chilwell

Mendy Choudhury 

Barnes Maddison Albrighton 

Vardy 

Got completely outbattled all over the midfield in the first game N’Didi didn’t start in months last Sunday. 

45 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not impossible, but massively unlikely.

Part of me thinks you are better off starting him in games (not this week necessarily), because if we actually get ahead in the game it's unlikely he'll come on. He'll just be used when we're chasing games.

Would you personally start him today?

I would. He's match fit apparently in decent form and both Gray and Ghezzal haven't offered much this season. Not sure what the point of recalling him would be just to come on if we're chasing games.

With nothing too much to play for surely now is the time to try out things for next season?

4 minutes ago, reynard said:

Would you personally start him today?

I would. He's match fit apparently in decent form and both Gray and Ghezzal haven't offered much this season. Not sure what the point of recalling him would be just to come on if we're chasing games.

With nothing too much to play for surely now is the time to try out things for next season?

No I probably wouldn't. I want to give him the best opportunity to succeed, so I'd give him some more time training with the team and ease him in a little bit. Not only that, but you do need to consider other players. It doesn't look great to others someone else walking straight into the team. As Puel said, how the players perform in training picks the team. So he now needs to compete for the spot like everyone else.

I know we're all massively eager to see him and the temptation is to chuck him straight in, but there are other factors to consider.

Maybe Barnes starts today, but I don't see it.  Very few managers would start the guy who hasn't been with the squad all season and just got off the bus, but that won't stop the jackals from braying at the moon for Puel's job if he doesn't start him.

Edited by Deeg67

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

No I probably wouldn't. I want to give him the best opportunity to succeed, so I'd give him some more time training with the team and ease him in a little bit. Not only that, but you do need to consider other players. It doesn't look great to others someone else walking straight into the team. As Puel said, how the players perform in training picks the team. So he now needs to compete for the spot like everyone else.

I know we're all massively eager to see him and the temptation is to chuck him straight in, but there are other factors to consider.

Fair point. If he'd cost 20 million might be otherwise though. Probably what he would have cost had he not been our player. We've got some tough matches coming up which will be tricky for him to make his mark in. Personally I'd prefer to start him agains one of the so-called lesser teams but I see where you are coming from.

4 minutes ago, reynard said:

Fair point. If he'd cost 20 million might be otherwise though. Probably what he would have cost had he not been our player. We've got some tough matches coming up which will be tricky for him to make his mark in. Personally I'd prefer to start him agains one of the so-called lesser teams but I see where you are coming from.

I did consider that, but Puel hasn't been shy of not starting people who cost a large amount of money (Silva, Rachid, Soyuncu) etc. Ideally I'd imagine Puel would have wanted him in Training Monday / Tuesday to play today, but we just don't know the circumstances behind the contract or the discussions with his reps etc.

The lad could have rocked up yesterday, had a stormer in training and be on the team sheet today. Who knows!

6 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

You probably shouldn’t even watch it, then. Unless you’re some sort of masochist. 

Fortunately or unfortunately the hospital have messed up my surgery so bad I cannot eat or speak properly, so I have kindly donated my season ticket free of charge, so I won’t be there getting frustrated, wouldn’t trust myself not to try and shout, and have to live with the agony.