Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Southampton (H).. pre match thread

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Well, we failed to score against Cardiff with 4231, so what's to lose?

We could try breaking up the Ndidi and Mendy partnership for a start before giving up on that formation, would give a boost to the fans at least.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Three defensive midfielders at home to Southampton with Maddison out of position on the wing again is annoying.

This is where puel frustrates, would be such a safe option,  defensive set up, he needs more attacking set up against struggling sides that come here, so I hope the press have pissed him off enough for a more positive approach, and looking at not just winning, but winning convincingly.

Three defensive mids  although I actually think Hamza looks a really good prospect, he has time at his feet which is a real rare skill in footballers. 

Formation looks too negative, again

Edited by somebum
Stupid predictive txt
  • Like 2

Southampton haven't a striker available and are playing a 'make-do' line-up. They'll literally follow the Cardiff approach against us, and deliberately try to break up and slow-down play and park the bus to frustrate us, and try to catch us on the break.

We're going to have lots of possession, and will have chances (as previous), but what we need to do is improve our finishing. If we can do this with a dab of luck too, we could hammer them, but they'll be playing for a draw all day long.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Three defensive midfielders at home to Southampton with Maddison out of position on the wing again is annoying, no wonder we hardly score these days.

I reckon he will drift into the middle and Chilwell will pretty much play as a winger on that side. Depends if Southampton come here to attack or not. 

Lack of height in attack is my only concern. Wouldnt mind Slim back as an option off the bench.

9 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Southampton haven't a striker available and are playing a 'make-do' line-up. They'll literally follow the Cardiff approach against us, and deliberately try to break up and slow-down play and park the bus to frustrate us, and try to catch us on the break.

We're going to have lots of possession, and will have chances (as previous), but what we need to do is improve our finishing. If we can do this with a dab of luck too, we could hammer them, but they'll be playing for a draw all day long.

I like the new picture buddy!

• Like 1

This is why bringing Harvey back was the right move imho.

We huffed and puffed against Cardiff but ultimately we struggled to breakthrough (although we'd have won if Madders had scored his pen). Barnes has proven on numerous occasions that he can create something from nothing. Let's be honest, Southampton will park the bus today so the more players we have who can unlock the door, the better.

No good having him rip it up for West Brom when we're in need of creative options. Would love him to make the difference today. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Barnes has been assured he will get games so I assume he will today.

Mendy seems the obvious choice to make way IMO 

A front triangle of Vardy, Madison and Harvey would make best use of his style/ ability IMO 

Hamza and N’didi holding 

Don't you think Hamza and Nididi are too similar?

47 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

"Puel doesnt say anything in interviews"

-Puel makes a substantial statement in an interview that confronts directly

"Puel is set in his ways and wont try anything new"

-Puel adapts the formation to 433

"Puel still wont play the 433 at home against lesser teams, still persists with 4231 and never shows consistent lineups"

-Puel does the exact opposite

Wish some people would admit their blatant prejudice and give the guy a break. He's far more flexible than Ranieri or Shakespeare by a country mile

This is the key bit.  This is all we heard after the Cardiff game after playing well with the 433 system and now this thread.  Sums up the position he is in.  Some people will criticise no matter what he does.  It's a shame, it really is.  X

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wokinghamfox said:

Not moaning just half decent football knowledge and he is no footballer.

To be fair me duck, saying you will go home if a Leicester City player plays for Leicester City is a wee bit moany.  Moan all you want, but denying it is a bit silly.  X

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Well that would be a 433 against a team not renowned for being a heavy possession. I’d be intrigued to see how it would fare. On paper that’s too many defensive mids but it might give us complete dominance of midfield so the attacking players have more licence to play. It’s also perfect for Harvey Barnes to play as the left sided forward in the second half. 

After seeing how effective the 433 has been in recent weeks I did wonder if Barnes would be recalled. In theory he will improve the attacking play in the system. A manager should select the system that is best suited to the players we have and this could be it. The midfield 3 have worked together excellently so far and I love Hamza’s energy. 

Lets see what happens but if we end up with a team in the second half with Chilwell, Choudhury and Barnes all playing it would be pretty epic!

Or is it 4-5-1? or 4-4-2?

Have to see how it goes. There's a lot required of Maddison if we are to create much unless both Chilwell and RIcardo really get forward on a regular basis.

2 minutes ago, wokinghamfox said:

Yet has somehow played for Lyon, Monaco and Leicester at club level and featured for France’s youth teams and Algeria’s national team. Whereas you’ve probably played half a season for your local pub and had to pack it in.

1 minute ago, wokinghamfox said:

:whistle: So on a scale for 1 to 10, 10 being the best, you would say Ghezzal is a 1?

seems we may have quite a few players who were a 1 on early “evidence”

(PS. Big fan of Wokingham :D)